Jump to content Jump to content

WRC 9

Rygar86
Message added by PJTierney

This thread exists so that you guys don't flood the entire DR2 forum with news about non-Codemasters WRC games; keep all talk of those titles in here please 🙂 

Sorry for my bad English: I have both games (Dirt Rally 2.0 and WRC 8 ) and loving both of them. The stages and weather effects are very good in WRC 8. At the framerate: i thought i was going to have a bad time with the framemate, but it is not effecting me. 60 fps would be better (like Dirt Rally 2.0), but the framerate is steady and graphics are good. Overall: a solid 9 out of 10 for me. Will continue too play both of them, but overall will put more hours into the WRC 8 career mode.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:41 AM, Bosthian said:

Yes, sometimes it's feels like a boat :), however career is good (not like in Dirt, where is boring) and stages (most of them) are good, they don't feel like being generated by computer like in Dirt. Being able to drive the newest WRC cars is also something worth trying... driving all old versions of Subaru and Focus in Dirt is getting also bit boring. 

um, do you know that the stages (even the short ones) in WRC8 are sections of real roads stuck together, while the stages in Dirt Rally 2 are replicas of real roads?

Dirt 4 had procedural generation of stages. WRC 8 has fake stages. DR2 does not.

and you think that having the WRC class (4 vehicles) is better than having ALL 40+ historic cars, plus RGT in DR2? because the other classes in WRC 8 (R5 and R2) are in Dirt as well...

42 minutes ago, Hitmanvega said:

Well, i now play both wrc8 and Dirt 2. Both games have their have their plus and minus. So for me, good times as a rally fan. 

agreed, but i am swaying more to WRC 8 as i feel it's alot more in depth and intuitive. Going back to DR 2.0 does not feel strange, neither does going back to WRC 8.

I'm still waiting to play it; CDkeys bumped the release date back to the 19th, I just checked and they've sent me a Steam key?! But the Steam version isn't released until Sep 2020!

Either I have a long time to wait or they've somehow got access to the Steam version early, I dunno. Am asking them, as they say it's an Epic Games Store key on their site...

WRC 8 may not be perfect in damage but neither is DR 2.0. A step backwards actually I think. Really I don’t feel DR 2.0 damage is great compared to DR or even past games in the DIrt series. Cosmetic damage only seems to get a point and nothing further happens. No more ripping a tyre off and driving a stage on three wheels, hitting something and flipping 10 times in the air. Why can’t I destroy the car down to the roll cage. Also in DR you really had to manage the car if you had radiator damage, brakes etc. Seems the cars can take more damage in this area now. 

6 hours ago, Kiwiazbro said:

WRC 8 may not be perfect in damage but neither is DR 2.0. A step backwards actually I think. Really I don’t feel DR 2.0 damage is great compared to DR or even past games in the DIrt series. Cosmetic damage only seems to get a point and nothing further happens. No more ripping a tyre off and driving a stage on three wheels, hitting something and flipping 10 times in the air. Why can’t I destroy the car down to the roll cage. Also in DR you really had to manage the car if you had radiator damage, brakes etc. Seems the cars can take more damage in this area now. 

I wouldn't agree. With hardcore damage on it's much easier to break the radiator or get a terminal damage in DR2 than in DR1. 

This game is so addictive, i cant stop playing.. especially the tarmack feel, it feels much better then DR 2.0!

for next years game, the wrc studio  said it will have more legendary cars, which is great addition to core of WRC game.

I do hope CM will continue to support DR 2.0 after season 4, (there are much more content that can be added) so we have two great games for us Rally Fans :)

23 hours ago, dani211212 said:

This game is so addictive, i cant stop playing.. especially the tarmack feel, it feels much better then DR 2.0!

for next years game, the wrc studio  said it will have more legendary cars, which is great addition to core of WRC game.

I do hope CM will continue to support DR 2.0 after season 4, (there are much more content that can be added) so we have two great games for us Rally Fans 🙂

Have to agree in the tarmac physics. 

1 hour ago, gk9147 said:

i aggre too for the  tarmac @dani211212    and where you have info for dlc in wrc 8 ?

Sorry you did miss-read, (my bad, maybe did wrong put words, English is my 3th language) i did said 

"for next years game, the wrc studio said it will have more legendary cars, which is great addition to core of WRC game."

so that means for next game, as WRC9 

I did heard that from interview with devs, cant remember now, but when i find, i'll put link to that video.

31 minutes ago, danielofifi said:

One more question guys: how is the rwd handling? I love the Porsche in Dirt Rally 2. Is it any good in WRC8?

honestly i test lancia 037 in wrc 8 and is possible to drift and slide on tarmac same than reality 

Okay, so I decided to support the market of rally games and bought the game to give it a chance. Here are my thoughts.

It's really good! It's now actually a competitor to Dirt Rally 2. Things that I really like in WRC8:

- career mode. This is what a career mode should look like in my opinion. I love the management bits, the training stages, everything about it is really, really immersive. 

- dynamic weather is awesome. Also, you can never be sure what the weather will be like on the stage. You can hire metorologists to boost the accuracy of your predictions, but there is always an element of chance, just like in reality.

- the game is HARD. Feeling confident after Dirt Rally 2 I went straight for the WRC2 category on hard difficulty and... well, suffice it to say my team account balance after four or so rallies was ~ 50 000 in debt, so Skoda cancelled my contract and I had to find a small Junior WRC team to start from scratch.

- it's easier to seriously damage your car on realistic settings than in DR2. You really have to be very careful because one mistake can cost you the whole rally. Repairs are costly and take much more time.

- vast sandbox-like training area

- stages: fast, long, diverse and crazy narrow

- tyre choice which seems to be meaningful

- really advanced tuning options.

- watersplashes and potholes filled with water can completely destabilize the car, you have to be extra cautious on uneven terrain.

- windshield gets dirty and you have to use wipers to clean it. Car lights are also much more effective than in Codemasters' product.

Things that I don't like are the graphics (not bad, but definitely worse than DR2.0), some small bugs and the fact that there is no manual driving to the marshall after the finish line. Also, the driver's hands movement is unnatural, so dashboard is the only viable camera option for me.

Now, for the most important aspect, which is the handling. It's hard to describe. Sometimes it feels really good, and I feel like I'm getting SLRE vibes. Especially tarmac handling is good, definitely better than DR2.0. This time you can even enjoy driving R2 cars, understeer and all. I expected much worse and I'm pleasantly surprised.

On the other hand, it takes A LOT of tweaking to get force feedback to feel right. And even then I find myself making adjustments from car class to car class, from rally to rally. Sometimes the car feels slightly sluggish or twitchy and I have to play around with settings to find the sweet spot again. Sometimes cars can be a little unpredictable. In Dirt Rally I feel more in control, so I can push harder with more confidence. Definitely something to get used to.

All in all it's a big improvement over WRC7 and a worthy competitor to DR2.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it just feels right, great handling, great FFB, in ya face action, it's fast... it's realistic, oh the graphics are decent to.

DR 2.0 feels dry, slow and tedious? been playing WRC 8 more than DR far more rewarding in every sense.

Although i do enjoy a blast on DR 2.0 i find WRC 8 is more thrilling.

1 hour ago, cwot said:

Not enough RWD and/or group B cars in that game. Seems like a decent game if you like the current gen WRC cars though.

I still want to pick it up, purely because it has the 2019 cars in it. All the videos I have watched of it seem to have dreadful car audio though! 

10 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

I still want to pick it up, purely because it has the 2019 cars in it. All the videos I have watched of it seem to have dreadful car audio though! 

the audio is pretty decent, i listen through 7.1 home theatre system and it is loud, the cars sound like they should imo, but this is official wrc title and DR 2.0 is a side championship to support WRC, thats how i look at it.

i'm playing both games, first i take a dose or two of WRC8 and after that a dose of Dirt Rally 2.0. Most effective !!! 

I would prefer DIrt Rally 2.0 over WRC8 if it would have better FFB. I'm still hoping for an update in the next patch. My T150 wheel stays much too quiet when driving at full speed. I would like to feel the same effect when driving with a damaged wheel at high speed then, that would be thrilling. Also when braking the car down if would like to feel something when the wheels are locked up. I'm really dissapointed about the FFB how it is. 

I have wrc 8 and I played WRC 7. WRC7 wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. the new one is much improved, and that's the thing with all the positive energy around WRC 8 - it was a lot better relative to everyone's expectations. DR2 was living up to the very high expectations of DR1, and was essentially released unfinished, with a ton of bugs and stuff. but they're mostly good now. in comparison, WRC 8 has a lot of serious bugs as well, aaaaand they probably aren't going to get fixed because there is very little (if any) post-release support for that game.

the main issues I have with WRC 8 is that 9 out of the 14 locations are identical to WRC 7 (and most of those have been the same since WRC 5...) and it only has R2, R5 and WRC classes. it's 13 vehicles (and 5 bonus cars if you pay $16 US extra for them). that's insanely low.

also, the physics are kinda meh, though tarmac is better than DR2 I think.

the graphics are a bit rough, but they're ok. I don't care about fps though, I run DR2 on a laptop so I'm usually in the 30s and 40s. same with wheel. I don't have one so that doesn't factor into my preferences.

4 hours ago, watzcoc said:

Watch the Codemasters fan boys chime in with their in denial comments.

ah, a self-appointed troll! are you paid by bigben? you're not? then don't whine when people have different opinions from you because they have different perspectives and priorities.

51 minutes ago, ianism said:

ah, a self-appointed troll! are you paid by bigben? you're not? then don't whine when people have different opinions from you because they have different perspectives and priorities.

what ever,

you have wrc 7 you say, that game was the worst in the whole series.  WRC 8 is a massive improvement, something that wrc 7 should have been. The handling in 7 along with controls were terrible, i mean terrible. 

Never heard so much utter garbage in my whole life. Wrc 'feels' faster because its 30fps, in this day and age that's an absolute joke. Audio is gash, visuals too, physics are broken as cars can bounce and take off at the slightest hint of a tap, and be stopped dead in their tracks on the smallest of objects. Co driver sounds like hes giving a WW2 news report on a radio broadcast. Only thing it has going for it is the amazing track design and half decent ffb

Also, if you think dr2 is slow, it's you, not the game, git gud ya scrub 😂, when you are flat out on the absolute edge it's hard to keep up what's going on

4 hours ago, watzcoc said:

you have wrc 7 you say, that game was the worst in the whole series. 

I disagree, I'd say WRC5 was the worst. 7 at least had interesting stages.

As for WRC8 vs DR2.0, it really is up to one's taste. Some days I feel like cruising in Renault Alpine or drifting like crazy in 911 R-GT so I play DR2. But when I want the intense modern rally action, I put on WRC8. It's really good after proper ffb tweaking. In some aspects it's even more realistic than DR2, eg. tarmac handling or damage system. 30 fps doesn't bother me, I always remind people of SLRE which was awesome and also 30 fps.

No need to hate on any of the two games. DR2 for historic rally and gravel, WRC8 for modern rally and tarmac, that's how I see it. Let's just be happy we have two really good rally games on the market.

I've played both, will never agree. Hopeless FFB, my major issue. Physics at least much more feeling realistic (in DR2.0). Liked modern WRC cars, but honestly - I'm mostly interested in historic ones so...  I'm generally ok that there's few rally games that are considerable as good, but for me WRC8 could not exist.

There are many things I prefer in WRC8, and some I don't.

Rumble trigger support works, yet somehow not in DR2.0 because it's not DX12? Well, neither is WRC8.

Weather and time of day, tarmac, sense of speed, stages (for the most part) are miles ahead of DR2.0 for me. The best stages in DR2.0 are remasters, that's really sad. Even then, they kind of lost their soul and look off due to the weather or time of day choices. Extreme brightness is the order of the day for DR2.0

The massive BUT, is that WRC8 does not feel good on high refresh monitors/gsync. It just never feels smooth no matter what I try.

10 hours ago, Pioy said:

but for me WRC8 could not exist.

That's how I have felt about a lot of the (recent) WRC titles. I have put time into them because they are rallying games, and I'll do the same with WRC8, but if they were missing from my gaming history I don't feel that would be a significant loss. 

It's a real shame as, in the early Playstation days, the WRC games were essential purchases. 

guys, a titles will be released with **** quality as long as you buy it.

So if you buy for sentiment to wrc regardless a title quality, you can blame  noone but yourself. 

it applies not only for wrc8. DR2 has been released as unfinished having crucial issues after 9 months. Because we are happy to buy unfinished games, publishers will publish them, cause it's financially convenient. as simply as this

2 hours ago, marts said:

Rumble trigger support works, yet somehow not in DR2.0 because it's not DX12? Well, neither is WRC8.

Does that mean Xbox controller doesn't have all feedback on PC? Because without it it's like PS4 which is almost unplayable for me.

• The title was changed to WRC 9

Archived