Jump to content Jump to content

Holy video upgrade Batman!

wildcatdave

With my current moderate gaming rig: i7-920 @ 3.6 GHz,  Nvidia GTX 670, triple 24" 1080p LCDs - I was getting 46fps average on medium and 40fps average on high using the built-in benchmark. So I decided to bump it up and bought a Radeon 290x card, now getting 96 frames on medium and 79 on high. I even averaged 58 on Ultra settings but could not visually tell the difference. Remember that's pushing six million pixels.

But here is the only negative. I noticed right away in my first race everything ran smoothly and looks great, except on the courses that have brush or desert type small bushes. The graphics are very grainy on those. They have a kind of grid pattern on them as if they're not being shaded correctly. The resolution is fine but they look like very old vga color or pixelated. Everything else looks great - the big green trees, car, road, sky. Its just the small bushes that have this very odd appearance and it's on all of them, so it must be something about the way its drawing just specifically that. I can upload a picture if anyone is interested. Wondering if anybody else has noticed or experienced this - with AMD or Nvidia cards. Or if its a driver issue or setting in game. Definitely did not notice this with the old nvidia card I'm very picky about display and would have caught it right away.

Any feedback from anyone with a Radeon card. I did see in another post someone mentioned there was a problem with AMD cards and what he used the term of dithering, which would be exactly what I would call this is well. With the old video cards they would dither because they didn't have enough colors to work with and you would get that speckled kind of black pixelated grid pattern over the color to try to insinuate another color instead of a nice smooth shading like the newer cards do. So it does appear that it's an issue with the game and hopefully they'll find a fix for it. If anyone else could pipe up if they have it so the devs know that it's a significant problem it would be appreciated. Thanks everybody.

Haha, I just went from a Radeon HD 6870 to an R9 290X today as well. From Medium @ 60fps to Ultra @ 65+ or so FPS. I'm using Vsync to stop screen tearing and it's stable 60 except for the odd dip to 57fps.

The bug you describe is something I saw on the 6870 - I haven't had a long session on the 290X yet. It's alpha texture dithering - the textures on those small bushes are meant to be slightly transparent and it's not doing it right somehow. I think it's driver related, or the devs can figure something out for it.

Edit: looking at your framerates I must be using more AA or something to have the same framerates as you with only 1 1080p monitor! I will have to do some diagnosis.

I've seen what you're on about and it is a bit annoying, but it's still unfinished so the palette might get tweaked between now and November....

I also went for the 290X but went LAAAAARGE and got 2 of Sapphires' 8GB VaporX monsters and then decided to get a pair of Arctic Accelero Hybrid II 120 GPU coolers.

Throw those together with my AMD 9590, 16GB 2133MHZ DDR3 on a Sabretooth Rev 2.0 MOBO and I get the results I posted in A thread regarding Controllers and the camera views people use.

"I've also run quite a few in game benchmarks and had fraps running alongside it to display fps in realtime. While doing so I noticed a massive differences in FPS during switches between the different views. I'm running a beast of a rig (AMD 9590 with 2 8GB R9 290X's) but the fps scaling should be relevant across all budgets of PC's out there.

The ingame benchmark gave me figures of  61.99fps min, 91.71fps avg and 130.68fps max but I noticed this during the run thanks to fraps counter in the corner and checked against the fraps fps over time record.
In Bumper cam sectors of the games benchmark run I was seeing minimum speeds of 117fps
In Bonnet cam sectors this was around 95fps min
In car views were all around 83fps min
Chase views did the worst hitting as low as 61fps.

I then ran the same stage in bonnet cam only and got these figures from a fraps benchmark of 79.5fps min, 117.58fps avg and a massive 164.81fps max.

So the view you chose can drastically change the performance you get in the game. Not just how you play the game..."

The figures above are maxxed out settings, AA etc @ 1920x1080

So it seems the games benchmark gives close to accurate results (less than 1fps difference in a run with fraps also benchmarking the same run) but you can loose up to 50% fps rate comparing bumper cam t

Just out of interest @wildcatdave Have you run the benchmark on a single screen for comparison? I only ask as I have trips but they aint setup yet thanks to  recent move, just interested in the fps loss caused by the additional monitors....

I posted this for someone else who was using an AMD Graphics card http://raptr.com/amd?_noscript=1

It's the same as Nvidia's Gaming Experience, optimizers your settings and has a built in, low overhead, hd recorder for recording your games, no more need for fraps and the convert file,compress file drama.

I'm curious, do you have a screenshot of the 'grainy' visuals? I'm betting it's some kind of dithering effect for alpha textures. Haven't played Dirt Rally myself yet so can't say... but it wouldn't surprise me, lots of games have it. Some just more than others depending on memory overheads and such haha.

Dying to try it!

I also went for the 290X but went LAAAAARGE and got 2 of Sapphires' 8GB VaporX monsters and then decided to get a pair of Arctic Accelero Hybrid II 120 GPU coolers.

NIIIICE!!!

I will probably add another 290x when the price bottoms out after they announce the 300 series cards here in a couple months. But for right now I can't see any reason to. I also visually could not tell a difference between ultra and high settings, whether I looked at it during race or stopping on the course and looking around.

The ingame benchmark gave me figures of  61.99fps min, 91.71fps avg and 130.68fps max but I noticed this during the run thanks to fraps counter in the corner and checked against the fraps fps over time record.
In Bumper cam sectors of the games benchmark run I was seeing minimum speeds of 117fps
In Bonnet cam sectors this was around 95fps min
In car views were all around 83fps min
Chase views did the worst hitting as low as 61fps.

Interesting how big a difference that is. My numbers are based on using dash cam so you can still see the windshield. I like bonnet cam a little more because you're outside the car and the sound is a lot better, but I like the 5% percent bonus on my credits playing in car. If I can gain a handful of frames and have the better sound being outside the car I'll probably switch to bonnet. I will retest with that and let you know.

Just out of interest @wildcatdave Have you run the benchmark on a single screen for comparison? I only ask as I have trips but they aint setup yet thanks to  recent move, just interested in the fps loss caused by the additional monitors....

I have not but in the interest of testing and getting good info out everybody I'll give it a run tomorrow and post up the numbers on this thread.

I don't think it's bottlenecking but it is worth noting I am using an old i7 920 although it's overclocked at 3.6 GHz

Its pretty unbelievable that with 6 million pixels on three 1080p displays I'm averaging 58 fpson default Ultra settings. I think the minimum was like 47 and the max was in the mid sixties.

Haha, I just went from a Radeon HD 6870 to an R9 290X today as well. From Medium @ 60fps to Ultra @ 65+ or so FPS. I'm using Vsync to stop screen tearing and it's stable 60 except for the odd dip to 57fps.

The bug you describe is something I saw on the 6870 - I haven't had a long session on the 290X yet. It's alpha texture dithering - the textures on those small bushes are meant to be slightly transparent and it's not doing it right somehow. I think it's driver related, or the devs can figure something out for it.

Edit: looking at your framerates I must be using more AA or something to have the same framerates as you with only 1 1080p monitor! I will have to do some diagnosis.

I posted this for someone else who was using an AMD Graphics card http://raptr.com/amd?_noscript=1

It's the same as Nvidia's Gaming Experience, optimizers your settings and has a built in, low overhead, hd recorder for recording your games, no more need for fraps and the convert file,compress file drama.

I noticed that software installed when I installed the latest Catalyst drivers by default. I took it out as I don't like having any extra stuff running in the background. I've had an IT support company for 20 years, so I'm very picky about these things on my gaming rig. I even go through the services in Windows and turn off every service that's not necessary, and don't run any antivirus - squeezing all the juice I can.  ;)

Archived