DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

What's with the fog/smog in Finland (and Germany)?

Way too much blueish fog/haze/smog in Finland (all the videos uploaded) for some reason. 

Here is the still video pic from the Codies blog for Finland which looks GOOD:

2019-11-09_15h41_07.thumb.png.33e144978726585a54eebf5217daed11.png

And here is the reality in the game, and the fog seems to be there all the time for some reason:

2019-11-09_15h43_22.thumb.png.4b064d4d922f5b3627e04b414529f8e7.png

2019-11-09_15h48_50.thumb.png.a3a2091253325152c8c128c2538ea933.png

The same problem exists in Germany.  Can we please have clear vision at a distance in both events?

• Like 2

It's just a stupid art decision. The whole game is overly bloomy and bright. Kinda the opposite of the original, they went too far with the distance fogging.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe, I thought maybe it also helps with FPS as it allows culling trees earlier (potentially).  But either way, it's bad.

• Agree 1

Fog is actually quite cool, but in the game it's everywhere and too even. It would be better if the fog was only there in some places on the track and then a little stronger. Wasn't that the case in Dirt 4?

Fog in the game COULD be cool, it it's not currently.   The current implementation is tragic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, it's so tragic that I didn't even notice at first. Is this some kind of 'drama train' people just jumped on? 

• Disagree 3

12 minutes ago, richie said:

Yeah, it's so tragic that I didn't even notice at first. Is this some kind of 'drama train' people just jumped on? 

If your observation skills are weak don't blame others.  You have been presented the evidence several times in the form of photos.  There is not much else to say, its extremely unrealistic, very obvious, and that's that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, richie said:

Choo choo! ^^

Got anything better to say, like contrary evidence?

I'm not denying the evidence, the mist is there but it's not everywhere. I don't think it's tragic and I don't think it's extremely unrealistic. 

7 minutes ago, richie said:

I'm not denying the evidence, the mist is there but it's not everywhere. I don't think it's tragic and I don't think it's extremely unrealistic. 

Okay, well extremely unrealistic is true.  Visibility most of the time there is like 40Km.   Tragic relating to the implementation of fog strictly, and in terms of someone sitting there and adding this much fog IMO it's a tragically bad decision and shows some lack of visual QA.  Someone should have said "hey, I can't really see at 200m in Finland during mid day, please fix this"

• Agree 2

Unrealistic absolutely, it's not how Finland looks like at all in dry, clear daytime. In terms of graphical quality it looks far worse than it should. Clear daytime is a very basic weather option for any track and it's not available for Finland as is. That's plenty of reason to change it.

Yes, it begs the question how a DLC gets released in this state. Not being able to repair BMW M2 turbo, gear indicators not working in Greece, Yas Marina allowing gross corner cutting were strange enough but this is a whole different level. And Finland also severely lacks weather options (no rain at all?) in addition to the botched daytime.

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Agree 1

@bn880 my real big problem rather than the fog in Finland and Germany is the heavy rain and heavy snow weather. When this happens in both rally and rallycross it is literally impossible to see **** if you use the cockpit camera view. It is not racing it is surviving ! I have to use an external camera to play because otherwise I cant play ... I cant see anything almost outside the windshield. This is really really really annoying. On top of it AI seems to be totally indifferent to the weather conditions. They always make the same times .....

Edited by koog2003

Just now, koog2003 said:

@bn880 my real big problem rather than the fog in Finland and Germany is the heavy rain and heavy snow weather. When this happens in both rally and rallycross it is literally impossible to see **** if you use the cockpit camera view. It is not racing it is surviving ! I have to use an external one because otherwise I cant play ! This is really really really annoying. On top of it AI seems to be totally indifferent to the weather conditions. They always make the same times .....

Maybe that's true, I don't really play RX currently so I can't relate and comment on that.   (it's a bit of a different topic to the Finland Stage Rally haze topic though for sure 🙂 )

Just now, bn880 said:

Maybe that's true, I don't really play RX currently so I can't relate and comment on that.   (it's a bit of a different topic to the Finland Stage Rally haze topic though for sure 🙂 )

You are totally right. I will make a separated post for this.

Today's daily.

"I didn't even notice it"

20191112171257_1.thumb.jpg.e9c32151026a2b21320416a1f22f2aef.jpg

"I didn't even notice it"20191112171508_1.thumb.jpg.b5bc4794f608304bd4520c496c1f772e.jpg

"I didn't even notice it"

20191112171129_1.thumb.jpg.bce95067c8ec440f04186a5ffd087e2a.jpg

This really needs to be fixed asap. The sooner they get rid of that fog/mist/whatever the better, it definitely is tragic as it is

• Like 1

Beautiful. It just adds to the atmosphere. Now go and like and agree, you know who you are ^^

• Disagree 2

@richie now is seriously a good time to stop trolling.  Because that's all you are doing.  You've said you prefer it this way, but most people don't and it's not usual/realistic for the location, so please try and act like a grownup.

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, bn880 said:

@richie now is seriously a good time to stop trolling.  Because that's all you are doing.  You've said you prefer it this way, but most people don't and it's not usual/realistic for the location, so please try and act like a grownup.

I'm not trolling but Mr. @HoksuHoo is really begging me to come here comment. I don't mind him taking a screenshot every single time he spots some haze/mist/whatever and post it on the forums. I'll just keep wondering why 3 or 5 mentions are not enough. 

What was the weather description saying in the daily btw? 

Edited by richie

@richie  if you stop he will stop now too. (it's a reaction to comments you made earlier)  I just want the game to be fixed as there is no way I am going to buy this DLC ever if it stays like this.  And I can't recommend it to anyone I know as is.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 1

Just drove weekly (however H2 FWD is not my favourite) and Finland is just awesome.
I think those promo pictures are taken at evening, there is fog only at daytime which is addmittedly strange.
However IMO that is not reason to bypass it.

Yeah like I already commented on the another thread, that fog needs to go. In a VR headset it's on the verge of making the Finnish stages unplayable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems that turning off some of the advanced graphics settings near the bottom, especially bloom etc reduces the haze effect significantly.  For example here are pictures I have from Germany (as I don't have Fin yet), with Ultra everything, and then Low/Off almost everything.

Ultra

959104997_HIDirtRally2Screenshot2019_11.13-14_59_34_27.thumb.png.40eee6e9130297c4515ee7ac6de59127.png

Low

563233546_LOWDirtRally2Screenshot2019_11.13-14_58_02_90.thumb.png.4adbe73bf0feab566fc32f6a44c0eb79.png

Plus turning off TAA can help this a lot as well, I just haven't done it in the screenshots.  (I keep it on as I like to remove some of the pixelation)

Anyway, hope this helps some with Finland as well.