DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Congrats Codies cracking 200-500k PC units sold...

... Per Steamspy anyhow, which in the past few days has ticked over from 100-200k:

https://steamspy.com/app/690790

It's a magnificent game, the finest rally game thus far in history (imho), and for me personally the only rally simulator that's actually playable with a controller. The only competition in rally gaming this year has only underscored what a great game DR2.0 is. 

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

I thinks it's not that good but I was thinking about it recently and almost everything in game is recycled so it could be OK. You don't even need music licenses like for Dirt 4. And if they have good deal for car licenses the game development could be pretty cheap.

After all it's my favorite racing game. The controller focus is visible and it's good for me. It's among the best games I have ever played. But it deserves much better polishing.

• Like 1

The gameplay is second to none. Best racing game I’ve played.

The menus, interfaces and record keeping are very poor.

• Agree 1

lol what are you talking about? the menus and UI are amazing (though they could definitely give more info about how things work). my partner teaches graphic design to Master's students and she flipped out when she saw the menus and loading screens because she was so impressed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ianism said:

lol what are you talking about? the menus and UI are amazing (though they could definitely give more info about how things work). my partner teaches graphic design to Master's students and she flipped out when she saw the menus and loading screens because she was so impressed.

Yes, ok, I was definitely being harsh there. I agree the menus look amazing, everything about this game looks amazing top to bottom.

For me the interface is not great, I'm fairly new to the game, so have taught myself all about it recently, due to the in game explanations being minimal. I'm not even sure what the single player game is, Is it the Historic bit under Freeplay? or the Career mode in My Team? If it's career mode then surely that should be under freeplay, as everything else in My Team is geared at community competition (A voiceover may have given a one off explanation of this when I first switched it on, but that's never going to heard again). I wanted to switch off my ghost, as it totally puts me off, but of course I still want to compete with my best time on the splits, that's what Time Trial is all about. I searched the settings menu, another menu in the service area, and one on the pause screen, turns out these are duplicates of the same menu, (changing a setting during a race will change it permanently, not just for the race in question) and at the end of the search, it appears it can't be done anyway. That's an example of missing the basics, the details in this game that you can adjust are fantastic, absolutely don't want a change there, but don't let the basics suffer while focusing on the detail. This makes it a difficult for beginners, to have such detailed settings and menus to search through, when all you want are leaderboards or event details (Yes I know I've already moaned about Leaderboards and Event details elsewhere, I feel like all I'm doing is moaning now, so I'm going to shut up and get back to playing the greatest racing game ever 😄)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Beefcote852 said:

Yes, ok, I was definitely being harsh there. I agree the menus look amazing, everything about this game looks amazing top to bottom.

For me the interface is not great, I'm fairly new to the game, so have taught myself all about it recently, due to the in game explanations being minimal. I'm not even sure what the single player game is, Is it the Historic bit under Freeplay? or the Career mode in My Team? If it's career mode then surely that should be under freeplay, as everything else in My Team is geared at community competition (A voiceover may have given a one off explanation of this when I first switched it on, but that's never going to heard again). I wanted to switch off my ghost, as it totally puts me off, but of course I still want to compete with my best time on the splits, that's what Time Trial is all about. I searched the settings menu, another menu in the service area, and one on the pause screen, turns out these are duplicates of the same menu, (changing a setting during a race will change it permanently, not just for the race in question) and at the end of the search, it appears it can't be done anyway. That's an example of missing the basics, the details in this game that you can adjust are fantastic, absolutely don't want a change there, but don't let the basics suffer while focusing on the detail. This makes it a difficult for beginners, to have such detailed settings and menus to search through, when all you want are leaderboards or event details (Yes I know I've already moaned about Leaderboards and Event details elsewhere, I feel like all I'm doing is moaning now, so I'm going to shut up and get back to playing the greatest racing game ever 😄)

yes I totally agree with you on all of this. it's confusing if you're not used to it because there are not enough explanations. this is true from what all the different options do, to how tire wear works, to, like anything about how the career works. you just kind of have to figure it out as you go, which is weird because Dirt 4 explained everything clearly and in detail**.

so yeah, "single player" mode is all of those things. it's split into Historic/World RX Championships/Time Trial in Freeplay and Career Mode(s) in My Team. I'd argue that the AI Challenges in My Team are also single player. back in Freeplay, Custom Championships are singleplayer if you play offline, but of course if you play online they're multiplayer (but with AI if you want). in addition, any RX Weekly Community Challenge will be single player, because you're racing against AI and you are rewarded on your final position against them (like in AI Challenges or in Career mode). the point is that the line between singleplayer and multiplayer are a bit blurred in this game, partly because in the end Rally is you against the clock, which

time trial I don't know. I don't do it much.

** see how there's a button at the bottom of the menu that is F2 What's This? when you click it, it brings up the menu in the second screenshot, which explains everything clearly. it was in every single menu in the game and I have no idea why they didn't put it in DR2, and still haven't added it after 9 updates over 9 months.

20190325115157_1.thumb.jpg.e0d14f1477f52d8cfb2fcc07c0e34c4d.jpg

20190325115231_1.thumb.jpg.d59e893a80d11db38fa4bdbe5851f489.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the response and going to effort of those screenshots, that's actually cleared a few things up for me straight away 🙂

On the subject of the 1 player mode, I think it is a missing a proper one player mode which can get truly engrossing and give a sense of achievement, no matter what level of driver you are. I saw this post recently and thought he's hit the nail on the head, some excellent ideas here.

Edited by Beefcote852
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 11/12/2019 at 7:41 PM, ianism said:

** see how there's a button at the bottom of the menu that is F2 What's This? when you click it, it brings up the menu in the second screenshot, which explains everything clearly. it was in every single menu in the game and I have no idea why they didn't put it in DR2, and still haven't added it after 9 updates over 9 months.

Most of the options are quite clear, but some options are totally unknown what will happen. Also sometimes it is unknown what a slider will do if you put it minus or plus. 

That's why I had this suggestion/concept:
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/35255-jorritvd’s-suggestions-for-dirt-rally-20/?do=findComment&comment=405065
003.jpg.66ff424f0ac46fe62ed760578b4406e6.jpg

Although the interface looks nice, I think some things are a bit hidden and people don't know about, like you can save championships, can generate an random stages for a rally, you can select multiple ghosts in time trail, etc. I have once thought about to start a topic where Tutorials can be posted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 11/12/2019 at 5:52 PM, Beefcote852 said:

I wanted to switch off my ghost, as it totally puts me off, but of course I still want to compete with my best time on the splits, ….  it appears it can't be done.

I see this was rectified at the recent update. Not sure if that's due to my moaning, or was being looked at anyway, either way, thanks very much Codies. 👍

Posted (edited)

And it's ticked over 500k units sold on PC, per Steamspy.

Bearing in mind that whilst DR1 has now over 1 mill units on PC by the same metric, that game didn't feature any paid DLC.

So this should hopefully have been the success we all want it to be. Worth reflecting that Codies never compromised on the physics. After the financial failure of Richard Burns Rally and the shutdown of that studio, many of us back then believed realistic rallying to be dead and buried. This team stuck to their guns and we are in happy rally days as a consequence.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

And it's ticked over 500k units sold on PC, per Steamspy.

Bearing in mind that whilst DR1 has now over 1 mill units on PC by the same metric, that game didn't feature any paid DLC.

So this should hopefully have been the success we all want it to be. Worth reflecting that Codies never compromised on the physics. After the financial failure of Richard Burns Rally and the shutdown of that studio, many of us back then believed realistic rallying to be dead and buried. This team stuck to their guns and we are in happy rally days as a consequence.

Dirt Rally was given away for free aswell + it was a part of some "pay what u want"-humble bundle.

• Agree 1