Jump to content

RAIN in UK

Recommended Posts

I'd like to vent my displeasure that it rains too much at monthly or weekly events in Wales. I drove yesterday in the current challenge with the kitcars seven stages in Powys / Wales. Of the seven were four with heavy rain, two with wet track and a night stage was then dry times (Thank you for that). This is just one example of the fact that it is constantly raining heavily in the Hera demands.
After Monte Carlo (little FFB), Australia (ridiculous fences that always turn the car 180 degrees), this is the third location that deserves to be ignored.

Edited by Flens07
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CMHarrySemple will probably be able to clarify more, but he was telling me recently that we have a system in place that selects weather conditions based on the annual probabilities of real-world locations, by looking up real-world data.

This was exclusive to My Team initially, but in version 1.9 was also used for the "Random Event/Championship" setup process in Freeplay.

It rains a lot in Wales ūüėȬ†

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may want to adjust or normalise that. Real life frequency of rain does not necessarily make for a more enjoyable game.

 

Variety in gaming is the spice of life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had much rain lately. Even night races have become rare.

Variety is great, but it doesn't become a better game if you always make everything easier.

The fact that the cars are never damaged during the online events has nothing to do with variety. That's just boring and the mechanics are useless and should be fired. (Thank you for that, CM.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the other side of the fence, I quite like how much it rains on the Wales stages in the game. Hell, for that area IRL; it has rained almost every day in some capacity since the 1st of November. Its one aspect of the game I enjoy personally.

What I will say however, that perhaps there should be an option to fully disable weather in freeplay and career mode, Just for those that dont like the rain.

With regards to online Monthly/weekly/daily events, everyone who enters them are driving those particular events with the same weather and track degradation settings. But there could be more transparency on what stages/weather will be in those events before people click to join them. Gives more chance to back out without sealing them off for the rest of the time they are up. Just incase people change their minds and decide to run wet stages at a later time.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disagree with the OP. I'm glad it rains a lot in Wales as it's reflective of real life. It's almost always wet during Rally Wales in the WRC. I'd rather have the frequency of the rain close to real life at the different locations than everything dry all the time, or it raining half the time and being dry half the time in locations it hardly ever rains at. 

  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

personally, I'd like more rain in Australia. you guys went to the effort of making all the skies and special effects and whatever. for them to almost never be used feels like a waste. Same for Greece - you can only get it at sunset! what's up with that? I'd say the same for Spain, but honestly I play it the least because all the other locations are better to drive and I always seem to get many stages from the 14km route, which is my least favourite set of stages in the game.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that's the point I was making. Hardly ever seeing rain in Australia because it 'rarely rains there' just doesn't make the game more enjoyable. There's 'realism' done away with elsewhere for good reason, I think the weather should be the same. Just give us a decent and somewhat realistic variety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks outside at rain again....3 months its been raining daily lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose that here the third-person drivers vote for more rain. As a VR driver, you do not see much anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Flens07 said:

I suppose that here the third-person drivers vote for more rain. As a VR driver, you do not see much anymore.

yea rain looks more like grease than water in vr

Edited by somethingthing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PJTierney @Flens07 For clarity - If it's a Challenge, the whole event has been curated by a designer. If it's a My Team Career Rally, the weather will be generated according to real-world probabilities of weather. The same algorithm for weather is now used offline in the 'Freeplay' modes for the randomly generated Custom mode rallies.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To make it clearer again: rain is okay - but it does not always have to be heavy rain. In VR there is really hard to see partly how it the track is going on next curve. The Co-Pilot isn t really a good herlp when you need him.

 

So far I played DR2 364 hours, I do not want to talk bad about the game, but one thing or another bothers me a bit

Unbenannt.JPG

Edited by Flens07
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CMHarrySemple said:

@PJTierney @Flens07 For clarity - If it's a Challenge, the whole event has been curated by a designer. If it's a My Team Career Rally, the weather will be generated according to real-world probabilities of weather. The same algorithm for weather is now used offline in the 'Freeplay' modes for the randomly generated Custom mode rallies.

May I suggest that for example, in the case of Australia, if you have a rain probability of say 10%, you adjust that upwards. It's one thing to be 'realistic', it's another to effectively lose variety.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 8:56 AM, CMHarrySemple said:

For clarity - If it's a Challenge, the whole event has been curated by a designer. If it's a My Team Career Rally, the weather will be generated according to real-world probabilities of weather. The same algorithm for weather is now used offline in the 'Freeplay' modes for the randomly generated Custom mode rallies.

Before anything I'd like to say this is one of the best games I have ever played in my entire life. It is a masterpiece you have made a great job and that is why I bought this game 3 times (PS4, Oculus and Steam with all the DLCs) and I dont regret the money spent at all.

The biggest issue, dozens of VR players are complaining about on this forum, which affects heavily me and all the other VR players experience is the weather implementation.

You have to curb the weather effect in VR. We have said that 1 thousand times. You cannot see the damn track in VR .. everybody says the same but you refuse to listen. 
When it is heavy rain or heavy snow you cannot see the track. Simple. You cannot play like that. I have created several threads about this and so did my fellow VR players. 

Until now I have not seen any reaction on this issue from Codemasters. So far we have been ignored completely and again it looks like we will have to scream loud or we are not going to get any attention. 

Every time there is a stage with heavy rain, heavy snow or worse with night and heavy rain or night and heavy snow, we have to retire from the event because WE CANNOT SEE THE TRACK.

I really hope you guys are going to listen to us. Either you remove the weather effects from VR (No heavy rain but wet track, no heavy snow but snow on the track) or you curb them a lot. 

Once again we cannot play like that .. we cannot compete against the others because on a 2D screen the weather effect still allows people to be perfectly able to see the track and race. Their times will always be a lot better than ours. Frankly the weather effects are 3 things: Pointless, Badly implemented, Ruining the VR players experience almost entirely. 

Edited by koog2003
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, Flens07 said:

To make it clearer again: rain is okay - but it does not always have to be heavy rain. In VR there is really hard to see partly how it the track is going on next curve. The Co-Pilot isn t really a good herlp when you need him.

I wonder how long it will take before Codemasters will understand that and will start fixing this nonsense weather ****. I am fed up having to retire all the time there is heavy snow or heavy rain because I cant see the damn track ...

Edited by koog2003
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 4:19 PM, Tranzitive said:

Disagree with the OP. I'm glad it rains a lot in Wales as it's reflective of real life. It's almost always wet during Rally Wales in the WRC. I'd rather have the frequency of the rain close to real life at the different locations than everything dry all the time, or it raining half the time and being dry half the time in locations it hardly ever rains at. 

This is cause you dont play in VR. When are you guys finally understand that in VR we dont see the same stuff you see on a 2D screen AT ALL ? Stop criticizing the others the fact that is good for you on a 2D screen does not mean at all it is good for everybody. Next time before commenting dont forget to turn on the brain (and to bring a towel).

Edited by koog2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ialyrn said:

What I will say however, that perhaps there should be an option to fully disable weather in freeplay and career mode, Just for those that dont like the rain.

That would be amazing to have. I am looking for that option since day 1 man ... First thing I would do: DISABLE WEATHER ENTIRELY and finally enjoy this game to the fullest !
 
The weather is basically the worst thing of the whole game if you play in VR. It is not realistic it is a total nonsense. It is enough to have wet, snow and sun conditions on the track you dont need to pour the niagara falls on my windshield every time it ******* rains ...

Edited by koog2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

It is not realistic it is a total nonsense. It is enough to have wet, snow and sun conditions on the track you dont need to pour the niagara falls on my windshield every time it ******* rains ...

Its not 1 to 1 realistic, no. And it will probably never be picture perfect in this sense in any game. But it isnt exactly too far off. I have driven in rain so bad I cant see a metre infront of me before, and its horrid. To the point you have to find a safe place to pull over and wait for it to pass before you can carry on driving. I have also driven in heavy snow IRL, and the game isnt too far off the mark in this regard in VR either. If anything, there isnt enough rain/snow hitting the windscreen in game in those types of condidtions. Fog is pretty well done in this game, but I will say, the weather effects in VR are far better in Project cars. So here is hoping SMS devs can help Codemasters out in this regard, since Codies just bought them.

As you already are aware, im a VR user too. And I quite like driving in the rain and snow in DR2.0.
 

 

just as much as I like driving in the dry condidtions.

p.s dont forget you can quote multiple posts in a single post you make. It makes it really difficult to follow what you have to say, when you always post multiple posts one after another.

Edited by Ialyrn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

As you already ÔĽŅare aware, im a VR user too. And I quite like driving in the rain and snow in DR2.0.ÔĽŅÔĽŅ

Dude in your video "Sweden Subaru Impreza" is clearly visible it is almost a complete whiteout and you can barely see the track. Talking about realism nobody would start a rally in those weather conditions. Exactly like you parked your car on a side and wait for it to be over, a real life rally organizer would suspend the race because of those weather conditions. 
It would be a suicide to drive at 130 kmh without being able to see the track ! We are talking basically driving blind here !

Seriously man it is sad that you push your thing up and label it as "fine". 2D screen players have a huge advantage because on a normal monitor you never have the whiteout you get in VR and their times will be ALWAYS better than ours. 

In VR with heavy snow and heavy rain you simply cannot race. It is fact not a theory of mine and dozen of other players agree with me. If you have super hero X-ray sight (or virtual suicidal tendencies) it is another matter man.

Codemasters has to take action here and change things we cannot simply retire from every stage that has heavy rain or heavy snow. It is absolutely preposterous. 

I bought this game 3 times and all the DLCs .. how much money do I have to give Codemasters before we VR players will be able to enjoy and have the same experience that normal players have ? I am basically confined to Custom and time trial where I can set "DAY CLEAR" in everything and I can see the GOD DAMN TRACK. 

I want an option to disable the weather entirely. Actually I dont understand why it is not already in the game ... It would be the easiest fix ever done.

Edited by koog2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 11:26 AM, Jake Cushing said:

May I suggest that for example, in the case of Australia, if you have a rain probability of say 10%, you adjust that upwards. It's one thing to be 'realistic', it's another to effectively lose variety.

I would remove the weather completely from everywhere. In VR it is like driving blind. Preposterous.

Edited by koog2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

Dude in your video "Sweden Subaru Impreza" is clearly visible it is almost a complete whiteout and you can barely see the track. Talking about realism nobody would start a rally in those weather conditions. Exactly like you parked your car on a side and wait for it to be over, a real life rally organizer would suspend the race because of those weather conditions. 
It would be a suicide to drive at 130 kmh without being able to see the track ! We are talking basically driving blind here !

Real life road driving, yeh, I decided it was safer to pull over. As is recomended and common sense to do, if you can find a safe location to pull over. Since it was impossible to see other road users or pedestrians properly, and since we are all legally obligated to drive with due care and attention as a public road user. I decided that was the safest option.

Its very obvious that in my gameplay videos, which are from VR gameplay from my Oculus Rift CV1. That I never had a single issue driving in those condidtions. If you actually watched the videos fully, especially the wales one. You would see I was 19th on the LB on that particular run. And that was slow for me.

 

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

Seriously man it is sad that you push your thing up and label it as "fine". 2D screen players have a huge advantage because on a normal monitor you never have the whiteout you get in VR and their times will be ALWAYS better than ours. 

Has nothing to do with pushing my "thing" up when I show videos, if I was bothered about views and youtube money; if that is what you are hinting at. Then I would put in more effort than just showing the odd stage run or lap replay. I linked my videos to show you it is very possible to drive cleanly and quickly in VR with bad weather conditions.
If you have a "whiteout" on your end in bad weather on DR2.0 in VR, then you clearly have an issue somewhere with your grapical settings or hardware. Or you are experiancing a glitch in the game. Because on my end, in those weather condidtions. I can see perfectly fine. Again, using my Oculus Rift CV1.

 

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

In VR with heavy snow and heavy rain you simply cannot race. It is fact not a theory of mine and dozen of other players agree with me. If you have super hero X-ray sight (or virtual suicidal tendencies) it is another matter man.

Again, I showed two gameplay videos I recorded from my VR runs; which very much contradict that statement. Unless you have a bug causing the known about white rain glitch, or some other issues somewhere. Then its driver error, and entirely a you problem.

By white rain, I mean this glitch -

If you have that issue or something similar to that, then you need to show it video video or screenshots; not just complain about it. You need to give every ounce of evidence you can to the devs in order for them to look into it and fix it. They cant fix anything if you dont give them that information.
 

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

Codemasters has to take action here and change things we cannot simply retire from every stage that has heavy rain or heavy snow. It is absolutely preposterous.

Codemasters, in this instence. Dont need to take any action. Unless, as mentioned above; you have the white rain glitch. Again, if you dont have any glitch like that. Then it is entirely an issue with your driving/skill level.
 

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

I bought this game 3 times and all the DLCs .. how much money do I have to give Codemasters before we VR players will be able to enjoy and have the same experience that normal players have ? I am basically confined to Custom and time trial where I can set "DAY CLEAR" in everything and I can see the GOD DAMN TRACK. 

More fool you than anything really. I bought it twice before the steam version had the Oculus SDK, once OculusVR was added to Steam; I spoke to Oculus and they refunded the game on the Oculus store with zero issues. You had that option at the time too, and I even suggested you "wait and see" instead of buying the game yet again, when Codemasters added the OculusSDK to steam. But you decided agaisnt that advice. That is again, entirely a you problem.
 

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

I want an option to disable the weather entirely. Actually I dont understand why it is not already in the game ... It would be the easiest fix ever done.

Turn shaders off, you will not get anything at all show on the windscreen then. Just be prepared for a level of graphics that look at home on the PS2 if you do that.

Try to remember, you are not everyone. You dont speak for everyone, you certainly dont speak for me. I personally find the rain and snow to be fine, and as said in my last post. If anything, I think their effects are tame compared to IRL; and would personally prefer more rain/snow showing on the windscreen. Even in VR.



 

Edited by Ialyrn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

Try to remember, you are not everyone. You dont speak for everyone, you certainly dont speak for me. I personally find the rain and snow to be fine, and as said in my last post. If anything, I think their effects are tame compared to IRL; and would personally prefer more rain/snow showing on the windscreen. Even in VR.

I dont know man you must have the x-ray sight really because I cant see the track and I have an Oculus Rift CV1 like you and a GTX1080ti.

Yeah me too I can arrive until the end of the track but dont you think it is somehow preposterous to arrive 19 (like you) when with daylight clear I would nail it. It cant be like that AI is totally indifferent to the weather conditions ... whatever happens they do the same times as daylight clear. How can this be fair ?

This is the video of me in heavy rain night ... I cant see ****. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×