GRID on Stadia - Feedback Thread for Stadia Players

First of all, thanks for the last fix! I'm glad all of us are able to play career mode now!

I ran into annoying performance issues in multiple career events though. (1st Tuner Event, San Francisco; 1st Mini Invitational, San Francisco; + on two more events on different tracks, I can't recall)

The framerate seems to be well below 60 fps in these cases and is fluctuating. Everything is perfectly smooth again after the finish line in the short slow-mo and on succeeding tracks. The scenarios are reproducable every time I retry the events. The rest of the game runs smoothly at 60 fps.

These issues are not stream or internet related. I have a 500 MB up/down FTTH connected to Stadia via ethernet, that is still rated excellent by Stadia in these moments. The game remains responsive and the audio doesn't break up. Just the framerate goes downhill.

I've ecperienced no issues so far in any other game like that.

I hope you can continue to improve performance as the game is really great otherwise!

Thx and greetings from Germany!

P.S. Please consider a destruction derby mode on- and offline for a future update! That would be on a lot of peoples wishlist, I guess. 😉

Edited by MarkusXM

To add to my previous post, the 2nd track where the framerate breaks down is Zhejiang. (e.g. Tuner event No. 3; "Time Attack Battle")

This is again reproducable every time I start the event. The framerate and the resolution drop after the first two corners and stay low until the finish line. HUD elements stay sharp though.    It appears that the engine/rendering struggles there. The game remains responsive while playing though. The Stadia rating of the internet connection ist still excellent in these moments.

I use Stadia on Chromecast with 4K and HDR output selected by the way.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, MarkusXM said:

To add to my previous post, the 2nd track where the framerate breaks down is Zhejiang. (e.g. Tuner event No. 3; "Time Attack Battle")

This is again reproducable every time I start the event. The framerate and the resolution drop after the first two corners and stay low until the finish line. HUD elements stay sharp though.    It appears that the engine/rendering struggles there. The game remains responsive while playing though. The Stadia rating of the internet connection ist still excellent in these moments.

I use Stadia on Chromecast with 4K and HDR output selected by the way.

Thanks for your feedback 🙂 I'm passing this onto our team to see if this something being caused on our side or platform-side. 

I advanced a little further in the career mode and another event with issues was "TC1-Specials Asia".

On the first track Zhejiang the framerate and resolution was constantly at sth. like 720p/~30fps, with HUD elements, menus etc. being 4K/60fps.

The 2nd race in Shanghai worked flawless at 4K/60.

In the 3rd race at Okutana Circuit, the hot lap, as well as the race started at around 1080p/~30fps in the first section, went up to 4K/60fps when the track went uphill after the first few corners and then went back down to around 1080p/~30fps at the end of the track when you drive back into the stadium. This happened on 5 or more attempts at the exact same positions of the track. Again no issues in the stream quality or internet connection itself.

If I see any other tracks that show the same problem, I'll report again.

Thank you for taking my feedback to consideration! 🙂

• Like 1

Me again... 😄

So it seems to me that that a lot of the issues are resolved. The tracks I initially reported work fine now.

However the same problems came back up in other career events where maybe 1 out of 10 races had these performance breakdowns. Especially night/rain events could exhibit this.

The worst offender was Zhejiang of the tuner 'Night Terrors' event.

Can you confirm the game performance will be improved in the coming weeks?

I really really like GRID, but those issues take away quite a bit from the overall experience.

And by the way... when will the Season 1 update arrive on Stadia?

5 hours ago, Korveck said:

I am also waiting for the Season 1 update, when is it gonna come?

Current timeline still has GRID Season 1 coming to Stadia by January, at the latest. I'm chasing now for an update 🙂 

19 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Current timeline still has GRID Season 1 coming to Stadia by January, at the latest. I'm chasing now for an update 🙂 

Thank you Chris, keep us informed please, can't wait for that Season 1 update.

I was trying to get support throu custservice@codemasters.com but seems, that there is nowbody willing to answer 😞

I have a bug with the controlls - my issues is something with the game. The controller (Keyboard) works fine. When the issue occurs, the game still gets an input. In the cockpit view for example, you can see the steering wheel react on the key stroke. It simply does not turn left (or right) depending on the key that's working wrong. The same witch the brake and acceleration. Depending if you hit the brake or acceleration button the racing line indicators appear and disappear and the needle of the revo count flickers but it sticks to 1000 rmp. It ist not a problem of connectivity. It's not lag. All other keys work fine in that moment. It's NOT the same key evey time, it changes.

So the inputs work, but the game does not react properly.

I'm still fine with the product. I'm aware that this is a new thing, it's beta, it will take it time to work perfectly. I would like to help finding bugs and issues, but at the moment for me it seems no one is interested in sorting out such issues 😞

Hey Stadia players,

A small patch has just gone live that resolves a minor perpetual load instance, and some leaderboard display bugs. We also have another patch in submission that resolves a couple of display and multiplayer bugs. I'll let you know when that goes live 🙂

• Thanks 1

Started GRID this morning and my player profile says "Player One". 

My existing Profile did not load from previous games played. Also missing purchased vehicles. 

Why? 

Edited by Maverick944

Hey all,

The second patch that I mentioned above is now live on Stadia, addressing a couple more minor issues that will improve multiplayer stability and leaderboards.

Thanks 🙂

Is manual shifting not allowed on Stadia ?  The key maps are there in options but I see no option to enable manual gearbox?

Also on Stadia or maybe as a whole, are all brakes anti lock and I should just go full braking?

On 12/11/2019 at 6:47 PM, gekkoX said:

I was trying to get support throu custservice@codemasters.com but seems, that there is nowbody willing to answer 😞

I have a bug with the controlls - my issues is something with the game. The controller (Keyboard) works fine. When the issue occurs, the game still gets an input. In the cockpit view for example, you can see the steering wheel react on the key stroke. It simply does not turn left (or right) depending on the key that's working wrong. The same witch the brake and acceleration. Depending if you hit the brake or acceleration button the racing line indicators appear and disappear and the needle of the revo count flickers but it sticks to 1000 rmp. It ist not a problem of connectivity. It's not lag. All other keys work fine in that moment. It's NOT the same key evey time, it changes.

So the inputs work, but the game does not react properly.

I'm still fine with the product. I'm aware that this is a new thing, it's beta, it will take it time to work perfectly. I would like to help finding bugs and issues, but at the moment for me it seems no one is interested in sorting out such issues 😞

Is it the company policy of Codemaster to ignore theire customers? Neither here or by email - no support, zero answers! Too busy preparing Brexit? 😞

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fvwjHtvaMWDmumpn7

First of all, happy new year!

The previous problems I had with framerate and resolution drops on certain tracks seem to be resolved, either by a game update or an update of Stadia at the end of 2019.

However there is a new strange behavior when the game engine or stream seem to be pushed too hard... The game audio starts to skip and stutter.

This can happen when there is a crash in front of you or on tracks that have had the above mentioned visual problems before.

The gameplay and the visual return remain completely stable in these situations though and it only happened to me during races, not in the menus before or afterwards and only in GRID, so it shouldn't be stream related.

The 2nd thing that could need an update are the thumbnail graphics for the GRID World Series events. These are very low res compared to all the other ones in the career menu. I don't know if that is only the case in the Stadia version or not, but of course this only becomes noticable once these events are unlocked. 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks @MarkusXM - as updates are added to the game you can expect optimisations and tidy-ups in both performance and visuals 👍

@RSMRX8 the transmission options should be available in the Gameplay or Difficulty menus 

@gekkoX First time I've heard of issues regarding keyboard input, so I'd suggest double checking your setup and drivers etc. I'll look around to see if there are any similar comments from Stadia players, in case there's a trend appearing 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2020 at 12:24 PM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

@gekkoX First time I've heard of issues regarding keyboard input, so I'd suggest double checking your setup and drivers etc. I'll look around to see if there are any similar comments from Stadia players, in case there's a trend appearing 

@ChrisGrovesMCM Thanks vor your reponse. The point is, that the issue happend on the three different systems, on two different locations with different ISPs. If it's an problem with my PCs, why do the other keys work? Even if I pause the game, the keys work perfectly in the menu (up and down) but when I resume the game the up or down arrow does not have any effect. Well - that's not totaly true, as you can see in the videos, the steering wheel and the Revo count show a reaction. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wwZmpcyCRXvGsSxq7

Edited by gekkoX

21 hours ago, gekkoX said:

Is there any chance that someone takes my issue serious?

Hey again - all issues are taken seriously, but if we only have a single report of the issue occurring, it's extremely difficult to identify the problem and reproduce it 🙂

My suggestion at this point is to give us as much detail as possible, so if we get a chance to look into it further, we know what to look for. Our guide to submitting bug reports lets you know the info we're looking for: 

@ChrisGrovesMCM Thanks again, for your answer and sorry, that I'm a little bit ****** off.

As I said before, I already reported this to custservice@codemasters.com. The only answer I got was...

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning GRID.

Any failure in communication between you and the game may result in controller inputs not registering, unfortunately, for which the link provided on our previous email is the best advice.

We recommend, therefore, that you follow each and every step listed.

My response to that email was...

Every step is followed. As I told you, the communication works, the game reacts on the key strokes, but not as aspected (see videos). All the other keys work fine at the same time. So how do you explain, that one random key does not react correctly, but all others do. It's more, when you leave the game play, the same key works in the menu, but when you come black to the gameplay the key isnt working properly again. This can take 10 seconds or two minutes. The issues happens on several PCs on different Internet connections.

Here you find my answers to the options behind your link:

stadia.com (Google Chrome)
Make sure that JavaScript is enabled in Chrome for stadia.com.

It's activated. Would not make sense, that normally it works fine, but sometimes a random key has that issue.

Open a new Incognito Window for Stadia.
If this resolves the issue, you might have a browser extension, such as an ad blocker, that’s incompatible with Stadia.

It also happens in incognito mode.

Make sure that you don’t have a Chrome extension that blocks the WebRTC protocol as this will prevent Stadia from working properly. Some VPN Chrome extensions may do this. Check the information for your extension in the Chrome Web Store.

Happens without any extention, with a newly installed chrome without extentions and incogito mode.

Make sure that your firewall or VPN rules do not restrict traffic on ports in the range 44700–44899 (TCP and UDP). These are required ports for playing games on Stadia.  Note: This range might change in the future.
If you’re using a work or school network, check with your network administrator. Your network administrator might block ports in this range.

nope, not the case.

As you can see in the videos the game responds on the key stroke, but it does not turn the steering wheel - it's like it is blocked.

Steering:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wyq5TqTGYu8yugiZ9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GzNWBVvzzNVjukiu6

Brake:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCdQSgqcUZD4pWKa9
If you don't understand the issue, please let me know whom I may contact. Not responding to the customer is not an option.

So I think the videos show clearly, that there is a reaction on the key entrys, that you can't tell me, that it is an communication issue between my PC and the server. 

But anyway, I didn't get an response on this reply, so I didn't know what else I could reply.

By the way - your suggestion what I may report looks like this in the board...

codemasters_board_1.png.90f1e39ae3b7ed9b13cbb5dc88cb84bc.png

And when I follow the link included in the email notification from the board I get this message...

codemasters_board_2.png.dac631d795e19d0a0461fceb4862762c.png

Hi there! I took part in a 40 Player Endurance community event on Saturday (all 40 slots were taken by a real player! Very cool!)

All players were complaining of very severe audio stutter in every race. The frame rate was also noticeably impacted in some races. Two of the races were completely unplayable for me.

Another fun bug which doesn't really matter is this one (it only happens in the lobby screen):