Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2013 Online - what's happening guys

When this game came out, it was the best yet sync-wise - the bubble all but gone, the odd side impact that never happened and that's about it. 

Lately, we've had teleportation overtakes, huge bubble lag, I've been overtaken by someone hitting a kerb and going over the top of me and there is definitely some kind of Alien interference going on. What on Earth (or not) has happened CM? Can't be the huge demand on PSN as it's like the Marie-Celeste out there when you want to find an online lobby.
We haven't updated the PS3 version of the game recently so there's been no internal changes to the game. Do you find the connection affecting everyone throughout the race? Or just a few specific players?
Hi Hatta

If it's anything, then it's definitely comms/network related. It is possible that we are simply becoming more widespread over Europe and when we add someone with a poor connection, it drags everyone down a bit.

If I create a lobby with say just 6 guys, all fibreoptic, we all sit a proud with 3 green bars each. As you add some people with 1-bar red connections, it seems that we all start changing to yellow. Once all the fibre guys get to yellow, the race is a lag-fest. Yes the guys with red connections jump about and experience others jumping about more than the guys with yellow, but even the guys in yellow are lagging.

It "feels like" the network is just weaker than it used to be. I also note that youtube videos are generally showing cars jumping around more than ever, even on XBox.

Any tips - that don't involve kicking people out of the league. 

IntoTheBarrier's video is extreme, but similar to our experience lately:- 

PS:- Our typical race size is 11 people - 4 on fibre, 7 ADSL /  8 from GB, 3 from Europe.

A GB guy with best connection sets up the lobby. Question :- is there an optimal way of inviting people - i.e. the worst connections first - or last?

hello Bobby, We are also having the same problems. I think its because they use peer to peer connections online and not dedicated servers. We would very much like to know if this is being addressed before buying another codemasters f1 game. we stupidly thought CM had learned after some glaring mistakes but yet again it seems like they have introduced even more faults in this game than in 2012 and that doesn't seem possible. It makes playing this game a frustrating experience and we know what gamers do when that happens, they move on and the sales figures for 2012/2013 prove that. In other forums like racedepartment CM received a lot of criticism for abandoning ship 1 month after releasing a game, in my eyes that was shocking, the pr is just so bad yet it was done to cover up a lot of negativity over another half finished game released to the paying public, with the added bonus of the classics. like many people have said before, 2014 is the last straw with our league, as much as we love playing f1 games we don't want to play a game that frustrates us constantly so if 2014 is not up to scratch we will wait for a new developer to come in and give them a try.

you know things are bad when members of a league would rather play a game from 3 years ago than the newest installment!!

Yeah Tiger, I can see how everyone hanging together in a huge web of P-P connections is more likely to create "exponential" performance problems with lobby size, whereas all of us simply updating a server then grabbing each others latest timestamps/co-ordinates off that server would be far more stable - then at least the guys with fibre would not get dragged down by the rest. 

Easier to "auto-reconnect to" as well, I'd imagine and maybe scope for even bigger grids, though that seems a million years away to me at the moment.  

I, like you, believe that whoever addresses connectivity & lag the best will be the one who gets our business long-term. Also like you, I'm still hopeful these guys can do it or I wouldn't be on here.
Hello Bobby, I am also experiencing this in the racing league which I drive in. It is very very bad, and they really do need to power the connection better like the big brand games COD and GTA. 

If F1 continue to treat their online gameplay like a 2nd rate game, then they will lose buyers as it's evident that ever since they changed their online capacity to 16 players, they've been having these issues. F1 2010 was fine because it was 12 players, and absolutely no lag at all really, nice wheel to wheel on the limit racing, and the cars were accurately placed on the track for everyone.

I think they need to take two steps back to make a step forward and maybe reduce the online player capacity in a single lobby, or find the bug that's causing this. F1 servers are weak, they need to treat the game like it's 1st class which they did in F1 2010 if they wish to increase sales again... the buyers appreciate, and spread the word! I've not spread a word about the last three editions they've released!