Latest on community-requested multiplayer changes

Hey all,

As mentioned in many threads on here, Discord and the social channels, I've been relaying your feedback to the GRID team on a daily basis regarding what you'd like to see added or changed. The most common subjects raised by players, which I'll give an update on here, are: 

- Addition of open/public lobbies into multiplayer 

- Removal or adjustment of AI in multiplayer 

A lot of tests, discussions and strategies are being outlined to see what the team can do about both of these. There is no intention whatsoever at this stage to not address these two topics. 

Here's the latest news I have: 

- Addition of open/public lobbies into multiplayer - There's a big internal push to find a way to bring this into GRID - probably moreso than any other addition outside of the slated post-launch content. To make this happen, it would require a lot of time, resources and workload, putting other tasks on the back-burner. Because of all that, the relevant staff here are 'costing up' what it would take to make this happen, the pros and cons it would create, and the projected timeline. If it were to happen, an early estimate of when it would arrive in GRID is around the second DLC drop, so early next year. As always, as soon as I have more news, I'll be letting you know.

- Removal or adjustment of AI in multiplayer - This is a little further along the line. Producers and the wider development team have done a great job to take on not just your feedback which I deliver to them, but also in-game data and statistics, to draw up some ideas to address the use of AI in Quick Match Multiplayer. We're looking at the concept of benchmarking some of the lobby system, so that lobbies are much more likely to consist of more human players, rather than AI. We're tying this topic into a general goal of allowing lobbies to populate quicker and more consistently, so that AI are far less necessary. More news on these tests and a timeline as soon as I've got it.

Once again, thank you for all your constructive feedback, which helps us know where and how to steer GRID going forward. We're all pushing hard to bring these two priority requests into the game and when there's more info, you'll know about it 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

''We're tying this topic into a general goal of allowing lobbies to populate quicker and more consistently, so that AI are far less necessary''

i not understand why ai should be ''less necessary'', people are asking for an ''on off'' options to choose to race humans only! nobody wants the damn ai around...

Seems like in a way or other people are forced to race at least a minimun ai amount… so the advertising theory is right… we must have the alonso ai car Always around the balls 🙂 this is another gentle way to say us that ai will not be removed… 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, painisawarning said:

Uh, so the possibility to change car setups in multiplayer games is not even reviewed?

We're talking about that in other threads, or feel free to DM me. This thread is about the two topics listed. 

• Like 1

Thank you for making the situation clear, I appreciate your effort. Knowing how things stand feels comforting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the update.  Matching faster is good, but I know for me I am perfectly fine jumping into a session already in progress.  I do this all the time with the private lobbies we run.  Waiting for a race to finish isn't a big deal, compared to waiting for maybe one or two other people to join a new lobby.  Ideally it would be nice to pick a car, but that's not nearly as big a deal as not being in a lobby full of other players.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FlashStealth said:

''We're tying this topic into a general goal of allowing lobbies to populate quicker and more consistently, so that AI are far less necessary''

i not understand why ai should be ''less necessary'', people are asking for an ''on off'' options to choose to race humans only! nobody wants the damn AI around...

Seems like in a way or other people are forced to race at least a minimum AI amount… so the advertising theory is right… we must have the alonso AI car Always around the balls 🙂 this is another gentle way to say us that AI will not be removed… 

Well, AI should not be removed. Nobody wants a long waiting time because one person hasn't joined. Thats what happens when AI is purged from Multiplayer.

AI should be kept, but in a maximum of 4 AI, even if it is a bad team up of Fernando Alonso and Rick Scott.

Edited by CordedQuill42
Don't need another insult guys.
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Well, AI should not be removed. Nobody wants a long waiting time because one person hasn't joined. Thats what happens when AI is purged from Multiplayer.

AI should be kept, but in a maximum of 4 AI, even if it is a bad team up of Fernando Alonso and Rick Scott.

who said that ? partial lobby filling is the rule !! ai should go away. stop.

Multiplayer is meant to be for humans, ai there is a mistake there, everybody is asking to remove that (with a switch on off option)

• Agree 3

Great news change is coming, yes dont remove ai completely gife people the option to play with or with out witch should be easy ones the costum lobbys are in the game👍 hopefully we wil get more race modes soon aswell 

11 minutes ago, FlashStealth said:

who said that ? partial lobby filling is the rule !! ai should go away. stop.

Multiplayer is meant to be for humans, ai there is a mistake there, everybody is asking to remove that (with a switch on off option)

Yes bud if the game stays as dead as it is you wont have any1 to race with ad all witch would suck even more

4 minutes ago, ELITE-Team-Solo said:

Yes bud if the game stays as dead as it is you wont have any1 to race with ad all witch would suck even more

its ai keeping away people, switch on off for ai and custom lobby and you will see someone playing again… otherwise is just dead multiplayer as u say.

• Agree 3

Great and honest thread, was about time to make one. Good job of telling people that you guys started working on some of  most demanding changes, thumbs up for that.

If I can add, AI should be optional choice, as option On or OFF. I agree AI is for single player experience, but again ,they were in multiplayer like always so just leave option for players to choose.

• Agree 3

There are certain features that once introduced into the gaming realm you can never go back. Even if CM created the perfect matchmatching system does not offset the attraction of having options. You may log on and feel like doing GT races at the moment, or Touring etc. The lobby feature is a must in gaming in terms of multiplayer. Im sure you guys at CM know this to be true. For whatever reason this feature was left out and now that the community in an uproar is that mistake being reviewed. Estimates of an early 2020 release may be too late at this point. The damage has been done, especially for those who preordered the ultimate edition. I said all that to ask this question, Why was this important feature left out ???

• Agree 3

Thank you @ChrisGrovesMCM for the feedback, this is the kind of posts we need from you to keep us hanging on.

While I understand the time/effort required for implementing the lobby system, to me it seems like it would be quite easy to have an option in a private lobby to make it "open" for quick-match people to join it, with limit options on how many can join.  This would be an acceptable stop gap measure I would of thought.

I like the honesty but...... I'm now kinda thinking it may never happen now. So what's the best alternatives??? 

Less Ai cars will be an improvement on the current criteria and will improve races👍👍

Interms of quick play, can we have just the popular disciplines in rotation. 

So theres a better chance of getting and keeping  full lobbies. 

You would have to put the question out there, as to what are the most popular cars  to race? 

The vast majority want AI out of multiplayer altogether. I've got a disc sitting in a box that won't come out until it changes. If it doesn't happen with the next update, I'll be asking for my money back.

• Agree 3

Thank you so much codemasters 🙂

and now make the Ai on Hard and very hard faster and better and if you add more  difficulty Levels this whould be amazing and add the option to choose the lenght At tracks in the career Mode and this game is perfect 😀

Edited by Katzenkralle91
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

The AI is an option in private lobbies.  It shouldn't be in the general public lobbies.  With open custom lobbies, I doubt they would remove the option of AI, though I would be surprised to see people use it much.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

'costing up' what it would take to make this happen

I would say on this, whatever it costs can be recouped on either DLC or the next release of the game, core features are not one time throw away costs and should be reused and expanded upon for future releases.... like gid2 > autosport!

I honestly can't understand why the decision was made to change multiplayer wholesale from Grid Autosport to Grid 19. It would be interesting to know the underlying philosophy. I recognise that's not something we're likely to get, but almost every aspect of this game feels like a step back from Autosport. 

8 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

We're looking at the concept of benchmarking some of the lobby system, so that lobbies are much more likely to consist of more human players, rather than AI.

...or just give us the ability to turn off AI completely? That's what most of us want. When the only 2 human players in the game are randomly starting 4th and 12th on the grid, those 14 stupidly aggressive AI really don't make the game fun. We had races in Autosport with two people, why not in Grid 19?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I think the issue is moving to a new engine, similar to f1, they implemented what they needed to and focused on game-play rather than the people who play the game, but too much got left out in order to get the game out on time.

Edited by GavinMac

6 minutes ago, BadgersAreFun said:

I honestly can't understand why the decision was made to change multiplayer wholesale from Grid Autosport to Grid 19. It would be interesting to know the underlying philosophy.

Exactly. And i also would like to know who thought this is a good idea...

6 hours ago, CrazySerbianGuy said:

Great and honest thread, was about time to make one. 

5 hours ago, GavinMac said:

Thank you @ChrisGrovesMCM for the feedback, this is the kind of posts we need from you to keep us hanging on

Worth clarifying that this thread was made today, not earlier, because I received the information today 😅

1 hour ago, GavinMac said:

I would say on this, whatever it costs can be recouped on either DLC or the next release of the game, core features are not one time throw away costs and should be reused and expanded upon for future releases.... like gid2 > autosport!

About this on 'costing up' - this isn't a financial thing; I meant costing up the time, resources etc that this would take, against what we'd lose/delay because of it. Apologies if that wasn't clear 

Please keep an open mind if possible - this isn't a post to say 'everything you've asked for is coming', it's a status update on a couple of key requests, and a reiteration that we're doing all we can to address them. Hope to bring you more news in the coming days and weeks 🙂

• Thanks 1

So player base will be dead by the time private lobbies are integrated into MP and AI in quick match is here to stay (in some form).

Look it’s great that Codies are taking on board our feedback but if the game design team were in touch with their consumer we wouldn’t be having this discussion. I’m still at a loss on how they got it so wrong, especially when they had learnings from the previous 3 games.