Latest on community-requested multiplayer changes

not enough for me. Since here someone is starting to delete ''not welcome'' posts, i just say this game is dead and to have one chance to be playable for me this is what should be featured:

custom lobbies, text chat, spectator mode, players stats, no regional limitation.

Now you can delete it again, i don't care, since you will never see a cent from me.

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, FlashStealth said:

not enough for me. Since here someone is starting to delete ''not welcome'' posts, i just say this game is dead and to have one chance to be playable for me this is what should be featured:

custom lobbies, text chat, spectator mode, players stats, no regional limitation.

Now you can delete it again, i don't care, since you will never see a cent from me.

Removing your comment had nothing to do with your feedback on the game. Feel free to DM me if you need more info. 

Noted on each of your requests, which I'll get back to everyone on in separate threads if there's more news. This is a thread for the multiplayer requests we've been working together on. 🙂 

Just now, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Removing your comment had nothing to do with your feedback on the game. Feel free to DM me if you need more info. 

Noted on each of your requests, which I'll get back to everyone on in separate threads if there's more news. This is a thread for the multiplayer requests we've been working together on. 🙂 

My comments are part of the feedback.

I'm glad to see finally custom lobbies are coming, not misunderstand me, i not want to take the bad guy part here (i already opened a lot of threads full of ideas and constructive feedbacks…), just as i said, is not enough, the missing list is still long and for me custom lobbies is something that had to be with the game since the beginning. Now let's hope is not too late to introduce them… 

And let's say… if people don't want AI… they just do not want AI ! no other workauround ''science'' based to reduce it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlashStealth said:

My comments are part of the feedback.

I'm glad to see finally custom lobbies are coming, not misunderstand me, i not want to take the bad guy part here (i already opened a lot of threads full of ideas and constructive feedbacks…), just as i said, is not enough, the missing list is still long and for me custom lobbies is something that had to be with the game since the beginning. Now let's hope is not too late to introduce them… 

And let's say… if people don't want AI… they just do not want AI ! no other workauround ''science'' based to reduce it. 

But Fernando Alonso.... 🙂

• Haha 3

well it sounds good for both of us customers & Codies.

if the lobbies gets in before christmas i am sure people that didn't recommend will probably recommend.

Not to mention it will help with sales at that time.

not much more to say, as jean luc picard would say "Make it so"

Edited by OugaBooga
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Im happy quick match is improved and not abandoned in favour of custom lobbies. I might be one of the very (very) few that thinks custom lobbies should not be an option for public multiplayer and that the public multiplayer should be managed by the developer. I think they are covering most of users desires with this update: let's see how it works.

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 3

I would have agreed with you if Quickmatch had started with zero AI and a lobby join system that filled up lobbies from launch.  Ideally there would be some sort of rating system that would create splits to separate the skill levels and create closer racing.  Close racing in this game is actually a ton of fun, and capitalizing on that aspect would really have fostered a community around a fun pick up and play racer.  Custom public lobbies in that sense would have diluted the player pool.  Custom lobbies themselves also will be likely to dilute the pool among themselves more with multiple lobbies with few people in them.  Not ideal in a racer that wasn't going to start with a massive pool of players to begin with.  People would still have complained, but they could have had something cool and unique.

That is not what happened and now the online community is nearly dead thanks to not only the AI, but a lobby system that regularly leaves you stranded with maybe one or two other players instead of a fuller lobby.  Even if they revamped it without AI and better player matching lobbies, it probably wouldn't be enough to bring players back.  The opportunity to do something cool and unique has passed.  Custom lobbies aren't a perfect solution, but should draw some players back, already have the people that have stuck around excited, and can possibly give the game some new life.  It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best one.  Those who have been lucky enough to experience nearly full private lobbies know how fun the game can be, but few have had the opportunity to experience that.

• Agree 1

I played yesterday in a matchmaking lobby and i noticed that my bought cars with custom liveries had wrong colors... Livery was the right but not the colors... Anybody has the same problem? 

all the time.. the color of the car at the start of the race is not what I have displayed and selected in the menu

On 12/15/2019 at 7:42 AM, Miatakias_GR said:

I played yesterday in a matchmaking lobby and i noticed that my bought cars with custom liveries had wrong colors... Livery was the right but not the colors... Anybody has the same problem? 

It's defnitely a bug I noticed.  There is a pattern.  It takes the colors of the previously used car and applies them to the current livery.  So you will have the correct livery, but wrong colors from your previously selected car.  Of course that car had the colors from the car before that.  It's quite a annoying.

48 minutes ago, Miatakias_GR said:

Yes this bug must be fixed with the custom lobbies patch... 

Remember to report it 😉 

• Disagree 2

On 12/12/2019 at 8:24 AM, Kaylos29 said:

I would have agreed with you if Quickmatch had started with zero AI and a lobby join system that filled up lobbies from launch.  Ideally there would be some sort of rating system that would create splits to separate the skill levels and create closer racing.  Close racing in this game is actually a ton of fun, and capitalizing on that aspect would really have fostered a community around a fun pick up and play racer.  Custom public lobbies in that sense would have diluted the player pool.  Custom lobbies themselves also will be likely to dilute the pool among themselves more with multiple lobbies with few people in them.  Not ideal in a racer that wasn't going to start with a massive pool of players to begin with.  People would still have complained, but they could have had something cool and unique.

That is not what happened and now the online community is nearly dead thanks to not only the AI, but a lobby system that regularly leaves you stranded with maybe one or two other players instead of a fuller lobby.  Even if they revamped it without AI and better player matching lobbies, it probably wouldn't be enough to bring players back.  The opportunity to do something cool and unique has passed.  Custom lobbies aren't a perfect solution, but should draw some players back, already have the people that have stuck around excited, and can possibly give the game some new life.  It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best one.  Those who have been lucky enough to experience nearly full private lobbies know how fun the game can be, but few have had the opportunity to experience that.

Im neither a fan of AI. There could be a use to it, but it should be extremely restricted. The AI of this Grid is fantastic, but I dont get online to play against it... I get online, precisely, to play against other people. And at this moment, with the only public multiplayer mode we have, the AI is a big obstacle for battles between humans. I would even remove it completely.

But I disagree custom public lobbies it's a solution. I think it's even a problem for the wellbeing of a public multiplayer. Like you say, it will dilute the player base. Second, it will hurt the variety of races to choose (happens in ALL games with that system). Third, it will increase in a big way the uncertainty of what are you going to find when playing online. There is a place for custom lobbies: private lobbies. You can mess around all you want with the options the game offers you, without messing up the public multiplayer. Although doesn't matter at all what I say. It seems Im the only one in the forum defending that and most of all, they already confirmed custom lobbies.

I agree with you what should be an ideal multiplayer system. GT Sport it's exactly what you are saying. But GT has the biggest community in PS4 (even in racing games?) and ridiculous developing time to create a complex rating system, Poly can achieve the ideal stuff. Grid doesn't, neither Driveclub. And EVO did a fabulous job (although I suspect DC community is way larger that what Grid will be ever be): no custom lobbies, keep the player base together. Great variety of races and even the posibility to choose while again, not diluting the player base (lobbies start every 30 secs or so, but one at once).

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 2

I´ve made 5 6 posts regarding the custom lobbies matter. I either get rethorical responses, funny reaction emojis or downvotes. Little to non reasoned responses. Interesting.

1 hour ago, SlimCharles said:

I´ve made 5 6 posts regarding the custom lobbies matter. I either get rethorical responses, funny reaction emojis or downvotes. Little to non reasoned responses. Interesting.

Because you are the only you think that custom lobbies will not help the game to have more players online... I am pc user i like being host and i am gonna set various classes / tracks /layouts / time of day /weather races that are gonna be so much better than the boring Playlist /matchmaking...  We just need proper point system like that of previous grid games,  kick votes or at least host to ban rammers ect and text chat would be awesome... 

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

because your viewpoint is illogical, no matter how many times one spends reading it.
1. it will not dilute the playerbase
2. it definitely wont hurt the variety of races
3. it will increase the certainty of what you will find online
4. it is the only way to remove AI

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

What autosport had was almost perfect, that is the direction we want to go but obviously codemasters wont get there in one patch.

• Agree 5

One tells me Im the only guy saying something in particular while not explaining the obvious and the other basically copies what I said. Not much reasoning, but never mind, let's pass reasoning and get into facts: Im using 3 games with custom public lobbies (ProjectCars2, Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally 2.0).

Diluted player base

Assetto has 39 of 52 half empty lobbies (or filled with less players).

https://gfycat.com/respectfulamusedcomet

Project Cars 2 has 16 of 20 half empty lobbies (or filled with less players).

https://ibb.co/s1gMw1w
https://ibb.co/p0Sprjy

Dirt Rally 2.0 has 7 of 10 half empty lobbies (or filled with less players).

https://ibb.co/yskkC1k
https://ibb.co/bNnXbRd

Variety of lobby options and consequent unpredictability

Assetto has about 18 different options to choose not counting track/car combinations.

https://ibb.co/vjcLxKg

Project Cars 2 has about 40 different options to choose not counting track/car combinations.

https://gfycat.com/thinwaterloggedamericancrow

Dirt Rally 2.0 has about 10 different options to choose not counting track/car combinations. 

https://gfycat.com/teemingfreshdowitcher

Poor track/class variety

Assetto. 17 most populated lobbies: either trackday or drifting lobbies (no races available at that moment); either GT3, drift car class or a random mix of cars; using 5 of the 19 locations avilable in the game. 

https://gfycat.com/briefbrokenbull

Project Cars 2. 20 lobbies: using 9 of 35 car classes available in the game and 14 of 60 locations.  11 lobbies using GT3 or GTE and gathering 62 of the 99 online users.

https://ibb.co/s1gMw1w
https://ibb.co/p0Sprjy

Dirt Rally 2.0. 6 lobbies: only 2 have the same car class (5 of 13 rally classes available in the game). Of all the 10 lobbies online at that moment: only 3 have the same location (8 of 25 locations available in the game).

https://gfycat.com/distortedaggravatingdeer

If you prefer custom lobbies for honest reasons, like much larger variety of races and possibility to create more unique lobbies, great. But dont try to sell what is not true, for example, that it's the obvious path to create a balanced and accessible multiplayer.

• Agree 1

PC2 and AC <------- RACING GAMES with a lot of cars and tracks, with freedom to play / choose whatever you like and want (a lot of people still playing online)

GRID 2019 <------- DEMO "game" with few tracks and few cars, forcing you to play by their rules (empty and dead multiplayer)

What are we talking about here ?

• Disagree 1

Thrilled. First time I can use the correlation/causation meme.

shark-attacks.png

First, many people online doesn't negate at all my point: sure, there is a buch of players on AC and PC2, but a high percentage of them are doing the same thing or playing in lobbies with 2 or 3 players. Second, the correlation doesn't always match: DR2.0 has custom lobbies and right now it only has 10 lobbies online while Driveclub, that doesn't have custom lobbies, was capable of reaching full lobbies not a year ago (the game is 5 years old). Third and foremost, correlation =/= causation: those games have those numbers (numbers of players, not online users) but could be for a dozen other reasons. In PC Assetto Corsa has that number because mods, Stefano Casillo said the percentage of online players was quite low.

I could search for the data, but what's the point: you either are gonna ignore it or grossly juggle the stats to appeal to your bias.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SlimCharles said:

If you prefer custom lobbies for honest reasons, like much larger variety of races and possibility to create more unique lobbies, great. But dont try to sell what is not true, for example, that it's the obvious path to create a balanced and accessible multiplayer.

you are waveing stuff around too much, is much more easy !!

you want a multiplayer that it works and attracts people, and keep people playing and make feel comfortable the online mechanism ?

just exact copy GRID1 multiplayer, is not all about custom lobbies !! is the Whole system that make multiplayer working. The multiplayer must be oriented to create this:

- A main list where you can know at sight how many people are playing.

- Custom lobbies as part of the mechanism to create multiple game options (OPTIONS), so customize everything you want (car, tracks, discpline, damage, laps, tuning etc).

- a TEXT system of communication for human interaction (hear people screaming on mic is a ****, and a muted game is also a ****)

- a spectator mode system where you can be part of the race since the lobby joining.

- the player STATS system (yes!! this also missing, with who you are racing with, vicories rating, total km, car crashes, etc)

- a democratic kick vote

- NO AI around the balls

Now i'm sure there is also other important stuff to say, is not only about the custom lobbies, is just the Whole multiplayer completely out of any entertainmet criteria. 

That list make a game balanced and accessible. So i'm sure introducing this feature now will not change much the game population… 

• Disagree 1