DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Do leaderboards ever get wiped if updates remove shortcuts?

Just wondering why I find some leaderboards with 20,000+ times, and then others with less than 1,000 (All base game stages/non DLC). Could this be because corner cutting was disallowed through an update and hence the leaderboard needed to be wiped?

I'm awful on most stages, can't get top 1000 in Spain, yet have just finished in the top 50 on Noorinbee Ridge, which is just unheard of, turns out there's less than 700 times... 😕

Some boards are wiped but we normally call those out before doing so.

For what it's worth Yas Marina got a wipe in 1.10.

I don't remember any other board getting a wipe in my time at Codemasters (since 1.5).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beefcote852 said:

Just wondering why I find some leaderboards with 20,000+ times, and then others with less than 1,000 (All base game stages/non DLC). Could this be because corner cutting was disallowed through an update and hence the leaderboard needed to be wiped?

I'm awful on most stages, can't get top 1000 in Spain, yet have just finished in the top 50 on Noorinbee Ridge, which is just unheard of, turns out there's less than 700 times... 😕

also it depends which leaderboards you are talking about. if I remember correctly:

• time trials have separate leaderboards obviously
  • world series - same as above
  • career mode is also separate, I think
  • custom championships, historic championships/fia world rx championship (in freeplay), and AI challenges (in my team) all use the same leaderboards, apparently.
  • community challenges are also separate, since they get wiped from the game every day/week/month - although the times are all stored and visible on dirtrally2.com

so if you're playing different game modes there will be massively different numbers of players who have set times. like, (to take a very random example) Monte Carlo in F2 kit cars in time trial probably has just a few hundred, because it's all DLC content, and less people do time trials. in comparison, completing a stage in Spain in historic championships with H1 FWD probably has tens of thousands of times.

that said the basic question is a really good one. really, every time they remove a cut (unless they are planning to remove more soon after) they should really wipe the leaderboards for the relevant stages.

Edited by ianism
  • Like 1

Sorry, should have stated. These comparisons were on time trial and non dlc.

I am aware now of the different leaderboards. Basically Time Trial Stages and Stages against AI are the two main umbrellas for all the leaderboards.

Community Challenges (not against AI) are forgotten once completed, and World Series is of course separate all together.

6 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Just to let you guys know, this is again the #1 ghost

rich1eI_DiRTRally20_20191123_22-55-44.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

On 11/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, PJTierney said:

Some boards are wiped but we normally call those out before doing so. 

I don't remember any other board getting a wipe in my time at Codemasters (since 1.5).

How about showing some respect for the time people put in, making world records??

Surely you could do this differently by having new leaderboards, and chose if you

want to drive with cuts or not. You released the game in the state it was, with all the

stupid shortcuts. Who is paying for my wasted time, making top times on the leaderboards?

Not a rhetorical question! We are talking 100'ds of hours! This is outrageous!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

3 hours ago, Eagleizer said:

Who is paying for my wasted time, making top times on the leaderboards?

It's a video game mate, take a deep breath.

You aren't the only person who will have dozens and dozens of WR's "lost". If you're good though and didn't get it through dumb luck as a one-off, you'll be able to get top 10 again after 1 or 2 passes. Taking the WR again shouldn't take that long, they rarely do once you've cleared top 10 assuming top 3 aren't miles ahead of the rest.

And FWIW, as someone with dozens of those WRs, I'll happily have every single one of mine reset if it means cuts have been removed from stages. I'd argue most, if not all, of my WRs were achieved without cuts but I'd still be ok with losing my times if the entire stage was fixed. I'll get my old times back regardless. Better to have the best content possible, then to have your name on top of a leaderboard that people know is flawed.

But let's get to the core of the issue - you think you're wasting time on this video game. How about playing it to enjoy the challenge and game? You haven't lost anything if they delete the servers and remove the leaderboards. You still have the stages, you still have your skills that you've earned by fighting for WRs, you still have the satisfaction of knowing you had them. Nothing was lost, and the fact that you think you deserve any kind of remuneration for playing a video game says a lot.

Edited by Mike Dee
  • Agree 3

On 11/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, ianism said:
  • community challenges are also separate, since they get wiped from the game every day/week/month - although the times are all stored and visible on dirtrally2.com

But only for a week (dailies), a month (weeklies) and half a year(?) (monthlies) it seems. I tried it and it seems, it isn't stored "forever".

It's better be not forever, there are some baaaaaad times from me in the past 😄

4 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

But only for a week (dailies), a month (weeklies) and half a year(?) (monthlies) it seems. I tried it and it seems, it isn't stored "forever".

It's better be not forever, there are some baaaaaad times from me in the past 😄

true, true.

and agreed 😛