Sign in to follow this  

Letter to Santa | Year 2 Rally Spec

We are approaching that time of year, when little people write stuff they want down and sent it to northern Finland. So it felt like a good time to do this.

With the current Non-confirmation of a Season 5 and the copilot voices returning to codemasters for some work, it seems like there might be some new or updated rally content in the works. Now what I would want is of course every rally on the planet. Though keeping a loose touch with reality, I think the absolute most locations we might get is 4. And only if there will be a full Year 2, with 4 new DLC Seasons, each containing a new Rally. I do admit, I think it is very unlikely. And I would be very happy with just 1 Location. Or even just a new Super Special Stage for the existing locations.

But for sake of argument, let's assume the unlikely number of 4. These would be my picks in decending priority, as I think these would add the most variety to DR2 and each offer something new and unique to drive:

1. MEXICO

Currently New Zealand is the Endurance location, with the longest stage times. As the game supports 16km stages, it might be excellent to bring two 16km stages, with Greece-like rough gravel and many tight technical turns to create a more appropriate test of driver endurance and Mexico would neatly fit as it fills exactly this role in the WRC as well. Also, if so, please some more water fords.

2. AZORES (Portugal)

This one would offer some tight gravel roads with high view-blocking side walls, making judging blind corners difficult and giving little room of error for required drifts. Also would have the most exciting scenery of any rally. Kind of a Monte-Carlo on Gravel in terms of technicality and preciseness required.

3. JAPAN

In terms of tarmac locations I feel there is missing the challenge of narrow bumpy imperfect tarmac (unlike Monte & Spain), which has actual flow and turns (unlike Germany with just straight-edge-straight...)
Honestly I'd love some german vineyard stages or some open Monte stages for this, but since we already have those locations, I would go for the most new far away location: The Central Rally Aichi/Gifu which in coming 2020 will be called Rally Japan. (Though things like Ireland, Ypres or Corsica could fulfill the same niche, but imho Japan would have the most flair.)

4. QATAR

Don't actually care if Qatar or some other sandy rally. Just having some very same-looking landscape of sand with a barely visible road going through it. Creating similar whiteout conditions like in sweden (though more of a khaki-out here) Would require some sand physics though to prevent major cutting and force one to actually having to follow the road that cuts through to the underlying gravel. Maybe sand physics could be derived from the soft snow physics implemented for swedens snowbanks?

So, overall I still think it's currenty quite unlikely to see a Season 5, unless the DLC money proofed to cover their costs. Maybe a little free gimmick (car or something) at the end of S4 and that's it. Though IF there is something, this would be my wishlist, after all soon is christmas.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

@SkyRex Are locations they only thing you would ask for from Santa? Tell Santa which cars you'd like to take for a spin on your location wishlist...

I agree with just about anything you wrote there. By the way, that Japanese rally gives me vibes from a whole range of rallies. I see a bit of 'vineyard stage' flow in there, a bit of technical Corsican bits, a bit of Condroz Rally (if it were ever dry), smudge of Ypres Rally and Barum Rally Zlín as well... The stages look like a blast to go through... 

• Like 3

Dear Santa I don't care about more DLC cars, until we cannot make custom liveries for those car...
I wish new locations or at least more time/weather options for at least Time attacks.

Bonus i wish to get a Multiplayer Rally mode, something similar which we loved in Dirt 3

Thanks! Merry Xmas for All

• Agree 2

Dear Satan... ehm.. Santa

I don't care about new cars nor locations. I wish the major issues to be fixed: like improper steering wheel rotation scaling.

But TBH I'm too old to believe in you. Your character is over-rated giving nothing but false advertisement (aka disappointment).

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

It would be better if they started from the very beginning with 'DiRT Rally 3'. No more extending 'DiRT Rally 2.0'. If they do that, they will keep losing ideas for new content for the future 'DiRT Rally' games. 👎

Considering differences between DR1 and DR2 I wouldn't say those are subsequent versions of one game. it seems like both are written from scratch with different features, bugs etc. See how many features were included into DR1 while missing in DR2.

On the Dirt Day of Christmas, my true love sent to me

Three French (and other) Rally hens

Two offline career doves

And a Field of View Slider in an Options Tree