F1 2018 PC GP - Multiplayer error

Everytime I try to connect to a session, ranked or unranked, I get a message saying "Error - Failed to join the session"

There is literally no one else online except me and my friend, If I start an unranked lobby he can't join, if he starts it then I can't join. Same with Ranked, both get the notification that the session is available but once one of us gets in to the lobby the other gets the error message.

Update:

So we can both join the same lobby if neither of us are host, we were both able to join someone else's unranked lobby. If one of us creates the lobby the other can't join, why would that be?

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the post.

What platform are you experiencing the issues on?

Hey!

As far as I remember, the F1 games still use P2P systems for online, so it could be something with your NAT type or other stuff that are known for causing issues with P2P matchmaking.

It'd be great if you could check your and your friends' NAT type.

Xbox One
On Xbox, you should be able to see it on your Network settings under 'Current Network Status'

PS4
You should be able to see this on the Connection Test results in Settings.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the replies, apologies if the title didn't make it clear but it's the PC version, the Windows 10 version on GamePass to be specific (not the Steam version)

Edited by DarrenAH

12 hours ago, DarrenAH said:

Thanks for the replies, apologies if the title didn't make it clear but it's the PC version, the Windows 10 version on GamePass to be specific (not the Steam version)

You could previously see your NAT type on the old Xbox app, if you still have it. You may have to find another way though.

Opening a Games for Windows Live game and going to network settings also shows your NAT type if you're connected to Xbox Live through GFWL.

12 hours ago, UP100 said:

You could previously see your NAT type on the old Xbox app, if you still have it. You may have to find another way though.

Opening a Games for Windows Live game and going to network settings also shows your NAT type if you're connected to Xbox Live through GFWL.

Went the GFWL route and both showing NAT as open

To try and give more info on this, both devices are in the same location and connect to the same router, not that it should cause this issue but wanted to mention it.

Also when in a lobby the connection icon flashes for both of us, but again I don't think that has anything to do with it as I have seen that across multiple F1 games for multiple people and never noticed an issue.

All the things I can think of as to why this would happen I disregard as we can both join someone else's lobby, the issue only seems to occur when one of us is the host of the lobby. For example when searching for an non GFWL way to check the NATs I saw some posts talking about opening certain ports on the router, but if one connection uses the necessary port we wouldn't both be able to join ANY lobby together surely? ... Unless being host in a lobby reserves the other ports to be able to maintain the best connection therefore blocking out access to those ports by another device (which wouldn't make sense to me but I'm not a network engineer)

I haven't been able to test if we are in another person's lobby and the host leaves, migrating host to one of us, if that would drop the other

Edited by DarrenAH

@Hoo two users on the same network having problems on connecting to each other. Any idea is it a limitation for example, and any way to get around it?

The game uses some kind of Peer to Peer system as far as I remember, so there could be an issue with both users being in the same network. Can one of you two use another network (such as WIFI hotspot from your phone) and see if the issue persists?

6 hours ago, AtomicPunkJr said:

Could it be a Windows firewall issue? Have you tried disabling them on both machines?

I haven't and I can try later, but if it was a Firewall issue I would assume a connection would not be able to be made at all. As I say both devices can join and host lobbies separately and even join the same lobby, just so long as neither are the host of that lobby.

EDIT:

I disabled the Firewall on both machines and was still unable to connect, however this time it actually gave an Error Code: WM10054

Edited by DarrenAH

Do either of the machines have dual LAN? If so, it may be worth disabling the network adapter not being used for the game. Some multiplayer games can have a problem when there's more than one network adapter. This includes virtual network adapters that may be installed by other applications. A list of installed adapters can be displayed by executing 'ipconfig' in a command prompt.

This is the result of the IPconfig, to me it looks normal. The other machine is showing the same things but the Local Area Connections are numbered 2 and 3

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 3:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 4:

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : *****::****:*****:*****:******
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : ***.***.***.***
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : ***.***.***.***
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ***.***.***.***

Edited by DarrenAH

14 hours ago, DarrenAH said:

This is the result of the IPconfig, to me it looks normal.

I agree, looks OK.

Only thing I can suggest is, if you've got some network cable, disconnect the WiFi and try a direct ethernet connection to your router.

Had another friend in Scotland (I'm in England) help me out and I was able to connect to him fine, but again he got the error when I was host. So it looks like no one can connect to my account/my router when I'm hosting

EDIT:

Just tired a network cable and we could connect, however both machines need to be wired for it to work. If either machine is wireless it throws up the error. I never tried that as it's very awkward to have both machines on a wired connection due to the router location etc but at least it's narrowed it down a bit.

I'll see if my Scottish friend can help me out testing my ability to host via a wired connection tomorrow night.

Edited by DarrenAH

On 12/2/2019 at 4:58 PM, funaction said:

have you deactivated the teredo filter in your router?

I definitely haven't, as I wouldn't know how to to be honest