Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Codemasters has now bought Project Cars Studio SMS Slightly Mad Studios

So they have the F1 licence until 2027 and the rally game in Dirt and now the Project Cars studio, Codemasters pretty much a racing game monopoly now 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TomAAA said:

So they have the F1 licence until 2027 and the rally game in Dirt and now the Project Cars studio, Codemasters pretty much a racing game monopoly now 

Can't yet figure out if this is good or bad news. 

let's hope they let SMS take point on the next f1 games. Maybe there's a little bit of hope for the franchise after all.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

This puts at least an end to the ongoing discussion if SMS would be a better choice to make the F1 franchice. Now we just have to wait and see if the best of both worlds is going to happen.

• Agree 3

If they don't improve on handling, physics and track accuracy now, especially after acquiring SMS who are miles ahead of Codemasters in these departments, then Codemasters will have successfully shown that they are lacking aptitude big time.

Next Gen titles will show what direction Codemasters takes, by being:

1: Medium quality copy&paste, heavily casual, products, with the official licences being the sole gimmick feature to appeal to the masses as the game itself is bland without it.

2: High quality revolutionary simulator / simcade products, that don't need the official licences as a gimmick just so that the game can be sold because the gameplay itself is so good that people would buy it anyway.

3: Mobile games and Pachinko machines, because the fanbase doesn't matter. (Seriously, i hate KONAMI).

4: A Rinse&Repeat of what we have seen over the past 10 years, so no dramatic changes are to be expected and no improvements as well.

Whatever Codemasters decide to do, it's a make or break situation for the Next Gen titles on the PS5/XboxScarlet.

In theory, Codemasters should benefit quite dramatically by having SMS as seasoned sim experts onboard.

Time will tell.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

At least there's hope graphic wise. Since there's only 20 cars and 10 different designs (teams) and how PC looks, we finally get rid of the terrible graphics. Running in 4K and seeing all blocks in stead of clean textures is simply a no go looking at the competition. 

maybe they can learn CM a thing or 2..

2000000 that is.

• Agree 1

Says in shareholder press release or whatever it was online that Codemasters will own the studio, and they will focus on fun gameplay as other codemasters titles. They will call the shots SMS will do as there told it seems

Edited by TomAAA
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

If they don't improve on handling, physics and track accuracy now, especially after acquiring SMS who are miles ahead of Codemasters in these departments, then Codemasters will have successfully shown that they are lacking aptitude big time.

Next Gen titles will show what direction Codemasters takes, by being:

1: Medium quality copy&paste, heavily casual, products, with the official licences being the sole gimmick feature to appeal to the masses as the game itself is bland without it.

2: High quality revolutionary simulator / simcade products, that don't need the official licences as a gimmick just so that the game can be sold because the gameplay itself is so good that people would buy it anyway.

3: Mobile games and Pachinko machines, because the fanbase doesn't matter. (Seriously, i hate KONAMI).

4: A Rinse&Repeat of what we have seen over the past 10 years, so no dramatic changes are to be expected and no improvements as well.

Whatever Codemasters decide to do, it's a make or break situation for the Next Gen titles on the PS5/XboxScarlet.

In theory, Codemasters should benefit quite dramatically by having SMS as seasoned sim experts onboard.

Time will tell.

How do you figure on this one. SMS Project CARS is an joke, and a complete waste of time. I have this down as the worse racing game ever produced, and I know my racing games, as these are the only types of games I play.  If anything the producers of the pinnacle of the motorsports will have more than a thing or two to teach this very wet-behind-the-ear studio.  I have Project Cars Two (and One) and uninstalled the thing for lake of descent physics in tires and car handling. How can you produce a game and say it's geared towards wheel users only, paying only scant tribute to controller users?! Duh! Some claim the game is packed with advanced physics and is aimed at hardcore users; I beg to differ. The game is a complete flop in all directions that's why they had to give it to up to a stuido that can pump some life into their complete lack of how to programe game physics, espeically wheel to tarmac interactions.  Plus they simply didn't have the budget to produce another third-tier failure that would have been Project CARS 3.  I look forward to seeing how Codemasters improves on this fledgling game.  Andy Tudor made a great face saving move here, for once!   

• Disagree 3

Funny thing this, now we can go down on two companies in one forum. But seriously; before this news every company besides Codemasters was capable of doing a better job at the F1 franchise but appearently SMS isn't fit for the job too. Before judging I believe this can lead to a good thing. Lets just wait and see were this will lead to before making all kind of assumptions. BTW, I did like both versions of Project Cars. The first took a lot of work to get the FFB working, which was once working a lot better than the second edition. Graphics are great and both games offer a lot of disciplines. I still have a lot of fun with both games.

Edited by 1512marcel
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 6:49 PM, TomAAA said:

Great as if my day couldn't get any worse. Will I have to purchase the limited edition to get **** skins and the other half of the game JUST GREAT

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

Funny thing this, now we can go down on two companies in one forum. But seriously; before this news every company besides Codemasters was capable of doing a better job at the F1 franchise but appearently SMS isn't fit for the job too. Before judging I believe this can lead to a good thing. Lets just wait and see were this will lead to before making all kind of assumptions. BTW, I did like both versions of Project Cars. The first took a lot of work to get the FFB working, which was once working a lot better than the second edition. Graphics are great and both games offer a lot of disciplines. I still have a lot of fun with both games.

Well I judge based on the crappy game they put out that everyone is claiming you have to be hardcore to appreciate. OK, be it so. So I turned off all assists as I'm accustomed doing in all major racing games, and you simply cannot control the cars. I even tried very hard to appreciate the game over a period of over a month and finally came to the conclusion that the game is not properly coded and that the developers lack knowledge of certain basic principles. I finally uninstalled it just like I did PC1 and will never approach it again. **** driving game totally!  Hardcore, not in the least! Unfinised coding - SURE.  So as long as Codemasters rename the bloody thing!  

Edited by FOneFanatic
  • Disagree 1

Accroding to the press release Codemasters will be in charge of the direction of all games and studios.

Also reading the press release It seems one of the reasons they bought SMS was because of the 'upcoming Hollywood game' I'm guessing that's the Fast & Furious movie game SMS are working on. Codies look like they want expand into movie franchise games now etc 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

How can you produce a game and say it's geared towards wheel users only, paying only scant tribute to controller users?!

¡It's a racing simulator!

Obviously the pad is not gonna cut it and will be less enjoyable to drive with, just as it is the case with any racing simulator out there:

Wheel > Pad

From what i remember you play with a pad, of course you'd have a hard time enjoying a racing simulator with that device.

Me personally, i simply can't drive a single car competitively in PCars/ Assetto Corsa/ rFactor with a pad, so i understand your frustration, hence why i got myself a wheel to properly race around racing simulators the way they are meant to be enjoyed.

I can guarantee you, once you try these sims with a proper racing wheel, you will never go back to the pad ever again and you will change your opinion about Codemasters whilst appreciating actual racing simulators.

Anyways, time will tell what Codemasters are going to do with this new acquisition.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

Well I judge based on the crappy game they put out that everyone is claiming you have to be hardcore to appreciate. OK, be it so. So I turned off all assists as I'm accustomed doing in all major racing games, and you simply cannot control the cars. I even tried very hard to appreciate the game over a period of over a month and finally came to the conclusion that the game is not properly coded and that the developers lack knowledge of certain basic principles. I finally uninstalled it just like I did PC1 and will never approach it again. **** driving game totally!  Hardcore, not in the least! Unfinised coding - SURE.  So as long as Codemasters rename the bloody thing!  

Fair enough.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:54 AM, FOneFanatic said:

Well I judge based on the crappy game they put out that everyone is claiming you have to be hardcore to appreciate. OK, be it so. So I turned off all assists as I'm accustomed doing in all major racing games, and you simply cannot control the cars. 

That might have been a mistake.  I know, I am also used to turning off all assists in most games, but pCARS simulates real life cars, and some of those real life cars have real life assists.  Particularly the road cars and GT3 racing cars I think.   In pC2 I think there is an assist mode called 'Real' for this reason.   So if you turned every assist off then you would be having a harder time compared to real life.  🙂

But if you're up for a challenge take a V8 Supercar to Nordschliefe in the snow with no driver assists and have fun.  🙂

The optimist in me would say that this is possibly good news, as Codemasters will get a chance to bring in new ideas and talent to a stagnating copy-paste franchise.

The realist in me is saying that they just bought off competition, so they can get away with even less than before.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, janbonator said:

The optimist in me would say that this is possibly good news, as Codemasters will get a chance to bring in new ideas and talent to a stagnating copy-paste franchise.

The realist in me is saying that they just bought off competition, so they can get away with even less than before.

I would say that they're serious about going head to head with the leader of the sim racing pack, Forza Motorsport! A daunting challenge indeed, but with some hard work and innovation, it is possible for Codemasters to put their collective talents to bear and create one hell of a sime racing game, outside the F1 series. 

I hope they now create one hell of a F1 game. Not as slick as Forza or Gran Turismo I hope, but more in line with Assetto Corsa.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:30 PM, FOneFanatic said:

I would say that they're serious about going head to head with the leader of the sim racing pack, Forza Motorsport! A daunting challenge indeed, but with some hard work and innovation, it is possible for Codemasters to put their collective talents to bear and create one hell of a sime racing game, outside the F1 series. 

That's the very first time I read Forza Motorsport and "sim racing game" in a same sentence.

• Haha 2

On 12/11/2019 at 2:58 PM, janbonator said:

That's the very first time I read Forza Motorsport and "sim racing game" in a same sentence.

They say there is a first time for everything under the sun - LOL! 

• Haha 1