Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Choosing Difficulty Level

Recommended Posts

Afternoon,

What is the best way to choose difficulty level? 

I currently race on about 92 which seems to be about the right level but some tracks I need to turn it up and others turn it down. Am I right to do that or am I just naturally good at some tracks and worse at others? Or is it the AI being bad AI so I'm right to do that. 

Find it hard to get the right level. Especially as cars develop through the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, don't worry it's perfectly normal to tweak the ai between circuits. If you search here you will even find lists people have made showing how much they tweak for each circuit. Personally I don't have a problem with the ai performing differently between circuits as in real life it happens EXCEPT IRL different cars perform differently between tracks whereas in the game ALL the ai either slow down or speed up. Not very realistic! 

Just adjust the ai so you finish races approximately where the real life car would finish. Ferraris, Mercs and red bulls should always be in the top 6, McLaren mid field fighting for top ten regularly and Williams always losing! 

Career upgrades mess the whole thing up crazy. If you get them all after 3 seasons your car is unbeatable, problem being your teammate is 2-4 seconds faster per lap than you! 

Either way, if you are enjoying the game then you have the ai set right! 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Hi, don't worry it's perfectly normal to tweak the ai between circuits. If you search here you will even find lists people have made showing how much they tweak for each circuit. Personally I don't have a problem with the ai performing differently between circuits as in real life it happens EXCEPT IRL different cars perform differently between tracks whereas in the game ALL the ai either slow down or speed up. Not very realistic! 

Just adjust the ai so you finish races approximately where the real life car would finish. Ferraris, Mercs and red bulls should always be in the top 6, McLaren mid field fighting for top ten regularly and Williams always losing! 

Career upgrades mess the whole thing up crazy. If you get them all after 3 seasons your car is unbeatable, problem being your teammate is 2-4 seconds faster per lap than you! 

Either way, if you are enjoying the game then you have the ai set right! 

 

Thank you. I'll have a look see if I can find the thread about moving up and down for each track, but yeah you are right about drivers and cars in real life have good and bad races. 

Will probably turn it up to 95 and leave there. Means I can see if I'm improving throughout the season rather then leaving at a lower level. Might start a new career with William's see if I can get 19th haha! Or just do a 1 year championship so I dont have to worry about upgrades hmmm.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you say the post by Jrod in the link below is a good way to do it for each GP?

https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Game/comments/dg54c9/should_i_up_my_ai/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

 

I would think changing the difficulty so that the green time rather then the purple time is closest (in the practice qualifying session) is where I should be aiming for? I always think the purple seems quite high, in William's its normally the pace to qualify about 15th which should be unrealistic before any upgrades have occurred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ukbordoy said:

Thank you. I'll have a look see if I can find the thread about moving up and down for each track, but yeah you are right about drivers and cars in real life have good and bad races. 

Will probably turn it up to 95 and leave there. Means I can see if I'm improving throughout the season rather then leaving at a lower level. Might start a new career with William's see if I can get 19th haha! Or just do a 1 year championship so I dont have to worry about upgrades hmmm.

 

 

If you start a career with Williams in 3 years you can have the fastest car! What you do is ignore all performance upgrades for first and most of second season and ONLY buy reliability upgrades first then QC and the upgrades that lower the prices. This way you will avoid losing any upgrades when the rules change at end of first season. Your team will whine at you for not upgrading your car as you fall further behind plus of course you need to do as many of the practice sessions as possible to get max points. You might need to lower the ai a little if they are too hard! Then once you have suffered those first one and half seasons (it's good circuit practice racing on your own!) you will be getting the major upgrades at a serious pace with your discounts. Plus they will never fail or become obsolete. By the end of the 3rd season you  and your team mate will have the best cars BY FAR. 

Trouble is.... Your teammate will kick your *** now... So your new tactic (you will both start every race him pole you 2nd) is to run him off first corner, preferably with damage to him, then spend the whole race driving like a madman while he catches you up 2 to 4 seconds per lap at least! 

It kinds breaks the game doing this but you will have one heck of a season in the middle going from zero to hero moving up the ranks! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha that sounds mental!! I take it that's some ridiculous bug in the game that happens to all teams when they max performance out.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's exactly as you surmise. You'll need to develop speed at the same difficulty level for all tracks.  It's normally technical tracks that slow folks down eg Monaco, Hungaroring, Suzuka International. 

Edited by FOneFanatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has favorite tracks were they exceed, and tracks you dislike, probably because you are slower there and don’t figure it out. These are the tracks I try to improve and get my kick out once I got it nailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ukbordoy said:

Haha that sounds mental!! I take it that's some ridiculous bug in the game that happens to all teams when they max performance out.

It's not a bug lol it's just they never bothered to test the game longer than one season! Or to be slightly fairer, it's stunning that in this rpg based gaming world where almost everyone (like me!) is OCD about maximizing every possible stat by 'golding' all sessions they never tested what happens if you DO maximize all your stats! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 4:48 PM, sloppysmusic said:

It's not a bug lol it's just they never bothered to test the game longer than one season! Or to be slightly fairer, it's stunning that in this rpg based gaming world where almost everyone (like me!) is OCD about maximizing every possible stat by 'golding' all sessions they never tested what happens if you DO maximize all your stats! 

Is this still as big an issue as at launch? I know this was rebalanced in the 1.09 patch in August and at the time the comments from the devs was that the change would be more noticeable the earlier in your career mode you were, but I tend to plod through the career mode in these games so am only now finishing my first career season. So far the only team with insane development pace is Williams which I attribute to an "only way to go is up" approach and my teammate continues to be a pretty level match for me with the AI level set correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PipsAhoy said:

Is this still as big an issue as at launch? I know this was rebalanced in the 1.09 patch in August and at the time the comments from the devs was that the change would be more noticeable the earlier in your career mode you were, but I tend to plod through the career mode in these games so am only now finishing my first career season. So far the only team with insane development pace is Williams which I attribute to an "only way to go is up" approach and my teammate continues to be a pretty level match for me with the AI level set correctly.

You will find out by the middle of season 3 if you max out progression but if you're plodding along as you say it won't be such an obvious advantage. If you want the career to stay fair through the entire 10 seasons (anybody here actually done that?) then you need to advance at approx 1/3 available points. Either way your team mate WILL eventually become in invincible. In earlier games players complained that your ai team mate didn't get any upgrades making it impossible to win the team championship. They fixed this but didn't adjust ai pace.... So ai pace + upgrades = fastest car /driver in the game... Sadly it's not YOU lol! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 2:31 PM, sloppysmusic said:

You will find out by the middle of season 3 if you max out progression but if you're plodding along as you say it won't be such an obvious advantage. If you want the career to stay fair through the entire 10 seasons (anybody here actually done that?) then you need to advance at approx 1/3 available points. Either way your team mate WILL eventually become in invincible. In earlier games players complained that your ai team mate didn't get any upgrades making it impossible to win the team championship. They fixed this but didn't adjust ai pace.... So ai pace + upgrades = fastest car /driver in the game... Sadly it's not YOU lol! 

Interesting, when I say plod along I just mean I don't play super often so I'm only just now kicking off season 2. I do spent the upgrade points but went for reliability first so I guess it'll become more noticeable as I add more performance upgrades. That said I'll probably swap teams a few times over the course of a few seasons so maybe that'll balance it out a bit.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PipsAhoy said:

Interesting, when I say plod along I just mean I don't play super often so I'm only just now kicking off season 2. I do spent the upgrade points but went for reliability first so I guess it'll become more noticeable as I add more performance upgrades. That said I'll probably swap teams a few times over the course of a few seasons so maybe that'll balance it out a bit.

Reliability is underrated imo. It's a huge advantage having engine parts and gearboxes that last for 10 races! No more grid penalties, fast qualifying times and you can push in a race as much as you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 9:08 PM, AdamFreeman said:

Whats this about your team mate? Does he get bigger upgrades than you?

No I think what he's saying is that your teammate gets the same upgrades, but once you max things out, if you have the AI on super hard difficulty then your teammate will just execute totally perfectly the way only a robot can and there'll be nothing you can do about it.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×