Sign in to follow this  

Positive thoughts

After all these months of developing , patching the game I have to say this rally game is getting perfect.

I had to say my opinion , ( my xp is 28 years of racing games all kinds , and in real life some passes on Greek Rally stages) 

First of all in my opinion graphics are just amazing , I had to take a lot of screen shots to be sure .  Lighting is spot on , Trees ,Cars are all high detailed , Rain also feels natural ,  On 3440x1440 Ultra settings  everything looks way better than any other Racing game that I have played …overall because yeah there are some games like GT sport that have better car detail but lose on environment or Forza that has better draw distance objects and particle effects.

Sound it reminds me the amazing quality that Raceroom has , its the only game that I can drive by sound , I can feel all the progression of tha engine sound, its not only about getting the sound correct , it must feels progressive an all rpms . And yeah its the best for rally games. And not Only that ITS all about Detail in Greek stages I can hear cicadas ??? *** they have record cicadas ? 🙂 lol yeah it feels like a Greek rally Stage thats for sure . 

Physics , something that I missed on most (sim) rally games is the lack of weight of the car for example RBR , it doesnt feel like that in real life ( I know nothing compare to real life) but it feels more realistic the weight on DR2.0 , FW cars feel spot on at gravel that I know , I dont know how the Rally 4WD drive on real life but from my xp city car 4WD on greek special stage feels like that,  My only strange feeling is the brake points are to short I feel like the cars brake so good 🙂 maybe the tyres on rally cars are waay better than stock gravel tyres that I have used.

FFB , Yeah Yeah I know I was also very disappointed at the start , but for me its all about road feeling and weight of the car and that all I can take them from the game , I just had to lower  tyre friction and stiffness of the wheel to feel more natural to me. 

Menu and Options , For me very very important , I want a game that works like I wanted not like the devs want, For example graphics option are a lot I can play on Ultra settings on my main PC but also I can play on Low settings on my secondary PC  its a difference on performance that is big , Also Wheel settings the SOFT LOCK  option is the MOST CLEVER option that I have seen all these years . I wonder why not most devs dont use that ?  All I want is the REAL degrees of rotation of the cars, I dont want to keep changing my degrees depending the car.  When I use an old one 900, and when I use a new one 540 … I need the game to do that every time and not me . So again THANK you so much for this Soft lock option.  Cameras and Ultrawide Support again very positive to have this and most of all there are so many cameras in game and not only that there is a seat movement , this is very helpful to feel like I want it to be and not how the dev want it . Cars selection are also so simple and easy to use , Dirt 4 was so bad menu for me ….but DR2.0 feels so easy and smooth car and stage selection is all there in front of you.

Also very positive for me is that I didn't get any frame lock to 60 fps or any tearing or lag to my G sync monitor or Freesync monitor , I use AW3418DW and 34UC88, a lot of games had problems for example the NEW WRC game had a lot of tearing problems and they told me that I had to lock the fps on 60, something about graphics and physics engine... Anyway  for me DR2.0 was just open it get 120 fps or less with g sync and works without any problems.

I know that there is no Perfect game , and I know a lot of people have different opinion I respect that, But I felt that I own that to Codemasters after all these years I wanted to say thanks for a first time to this development .

Please keep that topic with positive posts and what good you all saw compared with older or newer games.  

Edited by Tripokaridos
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

While I agree with you this game is spectacular and I am enjoying it like possibly no other game before, there are big flaws that really need to be corrected.

- Weather in VR is absolutely exaggerated to a point in which you are forced to retire from the event cause you cannot literally see the track.
- Players using Assists are allowed to set their times in the leaderboards. This is of course totally unfair. Real proper players turn off all assists (we are not noobs) but of course if you have all Assists enabled you can easily get 30 seconds advantage compared to normal (and not cheating) players.
- Use of Steam Workshops for sharing tuning setups like it was in DR1. Nobody knows/understands why Codemasters did not do that.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

While I agree with you this game is spectacular and I am enjoying it like possibly no other game before, there are big flaws that really need to be corrected.

- Weather in VR is absolutely exaggerated to a point in which you are forced to retire from the event cause you cannot literally see the track.
- Players using Assists are allowed to set their times in the leaderboards. This is of course totally unfair. Real proper players turn off all assists (we are not noobs) but of course if you have all Assists enabled you can easily get 30 seconds advantage compared to normal (and not cheating) players.
- Use of Steam Workshops for sharing tuning setups like it was in DR1. Nobody knows/understands why Codemasters did not do that.  

There is No perfect game , and from my XP most devs dont care to solve problems  let me remind you Milestone for example, Codemasters, Kunos are trying .  

Also I dont think that there is any other VR rally game out there ,  PC2 isn't rally . So its the only option its the only Devs that have DR1.0+2 VR rally games  , So for me its like you are going from Horse to a Car and expect to be a perfect car from the start... Yeah you have a point VR must be fixed , but if we looked that realistic we gone see that if there was no Codemasters there will be not even the option to play a VR rally game. 

Online games have the most post in every game that I have seen , from CS to PUBG everyone is talking about that, I agree with you on that Assists must not allowed in global leaderboards or at least make to leaderboards one with assists and one without . and let people choose . But again trust me this is nothing compared to  the (other this year rally game ) that most people cant even connect from day one.

About Steam workshop and sharing tuning setups yeah that was something really helpful on DR1.0 , but lets not forget that DR1.0 was mainly a PC game and was something like a test ( with a lot of problems on the start)  and after months and months and a lot of pressure they let it to go on consoles ... Unfortunately DR2.0 must be on consoles from the start (logical its about money)  so some PC things like VR or Steam works had to be not in 1st concern to them .   If there was only a PC game trust me it would be more to your likings but we all understand that a company cant survive by making happy only pc users. Or console users … See what happens to Drive Club a game that only sells on PS4 a game that until today has some graphics aspects like rain and weather physics that no one had it like that.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tripokaridos said:

Yeah you have a point VR must be fixed , but if we looked that realistic we gone see that if there was no Codemasters there will be not even the option to play a VR rally game. 

Dont misunderstand me man the VR implementation is actually really great. There were a LOT of problems in the beginning after release but CM fixed them and now it is an AMAZING sim racing experience in VR. Personally IMHO it is 10x better than PC2 (which I like very much as well BTW).

I am the first to say I love this game, every time I remove my HMD after a session of playing I am WOW what a great game, but there are still important issues to be addressed and they are becoming urgent. 

I have listed my issues in the previous post. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tripokaridos said:

About Steam workshop and sharing tuning setups yeah that was something really helpful on DR1.0 , but lets not forget that DR1.0 was mainly a PC game and was something like a test ( with a lot of problems on the start)  and after months and months and a lot of pressure they let it to go on consoles

And so what ? Enable the workshop only for the Steam edition and that is it. I dont see the problem here ...

• Like 1

Codies hit it out of the park back when they aimed for 60fps with DR1 for consoles. There has never been a real rally game that gave us console players this, and as much as we love RBR, 30fps on consoles is just a massive handicap. 

And then to bring in Armstrong and others, to focus on handling first and all else afterwards, was another superb move by Codies. This was not necessarily the only commercial approach. 

Dirt Rally is pioneering and we are damn lucky 2.0 exists. Play WRC8 and shudder in horror at that alternative. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/2/2019 at 10:08 AM, koog2003 said:

Players using Assists are allowed to set their times in the leaderboards. This is of course totally unfair. Real proper players turn off all assists (we are not noobs) but of course if you have all Assists enabled you can easily get 30 seconds advantage compared to normal (and not cheating) players.

This isn't really true. I dare say that very few tops any leaderboards with assists, if any at all. If you know how to manage throttle control you will be faster without assists, if you can't control the car, sure assists might help you complete the stage but you won't be fast.

The only downside is that you can't filter leaderboards in game(you can on the web based leaderboard) according to assists, that would be nice. Overall they should allow much more filters, nationality, specific cars, tires etc etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bogani said:

This isn't really true. I dare say that very few tops any leaderboards with assists, if any at all. If you know how to manage throttle control you will be faster without assists, if you can't control the car, sure assists might help you complete the stage but you won't be fast.

Hi @bogani. Indeed you are right I have ran tests together with the help of @PJTierney and indeed I was wrong. Using assists make you slower on average. I guess the only reason assists are in the game is not to discourage beginners because the game looks too difficult for them. 

In my tests I am actually 10 seconds faster without any assist compared to my time with assists on the same track. I have verified this at least on 3 different track conditions (Snow, Gravel, Tarmac). 
Only with tarmac the times are similar but on snow and gravel without assists you are much faster. 

I was wrong I admit it.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, koog2003 said:

Totally agreed. No idea why they drop such a good tool.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, koog2003 said:

-  Real proper players turn off all assists (we are not noobs) but of course if you have all Assists enabled you can easily get 30 seconds advantage compared to normal (and not cheating) players.

Excuse me, I take offence at that statement. That is totally uncalled for and would upset a great many CM users whom are either unable to drive unaided due to disability or unable to spend the time to learn the game fully. I resent being labelled a cheat for using assists and as a former racer (rl) I am not a noob! You won't see me lording it over others in the F1 forum for not using assists in those games, please consider practicing some discretion and common courtesy in the future.

• Like 2