Sign in to follow this  

[FEATURE] Rally School. Yes or No?

Would you like to see the inclusion of a 'rally school' in DiRT Rally at some point in the future? It could be a real world location, or a fictional location like that in RBR. 

Do you think this would also help for people transferring from older DiRT games, and help them understand and learn how to drive in this new game. 

Please vote and share your thoughts and opinions n

For noobies and those who want to improve their times even more, rally school is a must.

Rally school is needed not only as a training place, but also as testing ground. BTW as far as I know RBR's rally school was not fictional.

Personally, I would rather the time was spent on more cars, tracks or other content than a rally school. I've no interest in rally school, so it's not something that I see as enough value to me to sacrifice time from other areas of the game.

yes please. base it on phil price rally school or you could just use the actual 'bowl' area in sweet lamb

l555mat said:
yes please. base it on phil price rally school or you could just use the actual 'bowl' area in sweet lamb
Yeah, a testing ground in Sweet Lamb would be perfect, that's what the real Sweet Lamb is for after all!

Just a basic school that teaches you a few basic tips and tricks and teaches you pacenotes, maybe also somekinda test area where you can always return to test new tactics and skills, or to test drive vehicles you are about to buy.

Just make something fictional... like a sandbox..

it would allow people to hone their skills without the need to reset / restart all the time !

Thinking further, you could make it entirely sci-fi - like a never ending arcade track, which zooms into the screen like the old track-zoom arcade games.  eg. Variations between Left 3-6 -> Right 3-6 -> Left 3-6 ... until the user wants to stop...

then like those impossible geometries, you could have an infinite Left 1 / Square downhill stage, practicing that type of turn.. 

Cut scenes following disclaimer? Sounds great! But here I think its better to jump in the fire; Somebody gonna set the car up too? Here, you don't really loose when you crash...you learn. I BEG there is never a blue highlighted strip-o-cheese down the track!

This is essential for any sim. Rallying has so many unique skills which must be mastered.
Copy the concept of RBR but make it more fun.
Offer suggestions when we get a technique wrong. Example I attempt Scandinavian flick too fast or too slow tell me! If turn to much tell me OR show me a video. 

Allow me to practice on wide roads and then reduce the width to help the learning process.

Allow me to practice both left & right turns.

Short rally stages with playback feature showing which corners need improvement.

The only time I want to see rewind capability in Dirt Rally is in the rally school. I found with RBR I could do the stage well except one specific corner. It was tedious doing the whole stage over & over again.

Give the user points for perfecting techniques, then it pays to learn good technique.

This would be very beneficial to experience "sim racers" just to get a feel for how this game handles before heading into competition but especially for people used to more forgiving driving games.
Should focus on driving techniques as a real school would but also add in an emphasis on teaching people the mentality needed for this game, and how preserving your car and keeping clean is more important than, and vital for, fast driving. 
I believe the big issue with beginners finding a game like this is there mentality to try too hard. So adding a racing school would be a great way to help those players and be a neat feature for other to enjoy too

Some tips for starters designed by a real rally driver would be great. More as in videos I think than tasks in game. It would definitely be more fun to learn some theory in a video and then try and practice it yourself in game than to repeat the same task over and over again till you tick the box and you never try to repeat it.

http://www.sweetlamb.co.uk/index.htm

dwkGravey said:
l555mat said:
Yeah, a testing ground in Sweet Lamb would be perfect, that's what the real Sweet Lamb is for after all!

http://www.sweetlamb.co.uk/index.htm

wow...you sure know lots

I think as long as it didn't become a mandatory chore :cough:kenblockgymkhanatutorials:cough: it would be a great idea for people new to rally racing and sims in general to have. Maybe like a sampler course with one of each curve, so you could get used to what all the calls mean, and a bunch of different surfaces just to have a feel for what "light gravel" vs. "heavy gravel" is, etc. I don't think it should be prioritized over too many other things, because most people will be able to figure it out on their own, but it still might make the game a little more welcoming to those who aren't racing sim people, without diluting the experience for the hardcore rally drivers among us. 

Allways good to have a place you can call home!

Some place to test and train and come back to after hard days work in rally

Even some tutorials and pro tips for us drivers to learn. Example runs of how different setups affect the feeling of car
Something like how it was done in F1 CE when you drive those tests with different settings for different parts. You choose which you like most and team makes changes accordingly. You could test that area even further or skip tests completely.

Man that game is cool in that way. And many other ways how immersive it is.

nope, just spend more time twiking the physics, stages and cars. rally school shouldn't be a priority. 

ahrian said:
nope, just spend more time twiking the physics, stages and cars. rally school shouldn't be a priority. 
But what about the new comers to DiRT Rally? Surely it's better for them to learn on an open stage/area than to jump straight in to the stages. I know I'd find it helpful 

Opening up the sweet lamb complex with a few more of the tracks around it accessible is a really good idea. There's lots of good runs around there

As someone who got into the Dirt series starting from DiRT 2, I'm going to need it. I just can't get the hairpin and acute corners at all.

No, at least not a prio. There are more important game modes that need to be improved / developed. 

Rally school would be a great idea. Ive only bought the game this evening and love it. But I would certainly benefit from this idea.  So thats a YES from me.  B)

I have no issue with the concept of a school (although I don't think I'd use it), but I hope they don't take the resources to make a unique location rather than genuine stage kilometres. The 'base it around Sweet Lamb' suggestion above would be OK.