Sign in to follow this  

[FEATURE] Rally School. Yes or No?

I vote yes.

I think rally school is a good idea, but more so is a test area to check out the handling, allow people to practice the driving and give CM feedback on whether or not the handling is realistic on their input device. Battersea compound on D3 was great for this.

I want just a large flat area, maybe with a few cones, with all the different surfaces. Even if that means an unrealistic sand to snow transition !

ahrian said:
nope, just spend more time twiking the physics, stages and cars. rally school shouldn't be a priority. 
But what about the new comers to DiRT Rally? Surely it's better for them to learn on an open stage/area than to jump straight in to the stages. I know I'd find it helpful 
that's just my opinion, I don't care about newcomers - and I'm not trying to be disrespectful or something. there is a topic about 15+ mins stages and some guy/guys wrote, that they don't care about casual drivers and he/they want(s) such long stages. I think the same, but about rally school, simple as that. oh, and I don't think I'm a good virtual rally driver. 

and, to be accurate, I wrote I think rally school shouldn't be a priority, not that it's worthless. 

Yea for sure dude. Coming from dirt 3 this game is totally different and take some time getting used too. It's pretty much learning how to drive again.

Honest answer is no. I have no use for an in-game rally school. 

Would it be useful for for new players? Maybe. That would depend a lot on the quality of it. I thought they'd already mentioned using Youtube for tutorial videos rather than creating an in-game tutorial.

It would definitely help when making setup changes, to better understand what the cars are doing, since at times some cars still have the basic setup while others might have advanced setup, its frustrating driving the same stage with different cars and having a totally different experience, i think if you had a practice area,  it would help a lot

I, its frustrating driving the same stage with different cars and having a totally different experience, i think if you had a practice area,  it would help a lot
Well of course you're going to have a different experience in a different car. They don't all handle the same!

I think a proper tutorial should be added for getting to grips with the physics engine and handling model in some different cars. As someone said before, like the RBR tutorial, but less strict I suppose. Basics of sliding and whatnot to help people practise and avoid ending up barrel rolling down the side of a mountain in Greece when they come to their first turn.

Would be nice. Would also like to be able to use any car, even if you don't own it, so that you can trial a car before parting with your cash.

I really liked the rally school in RBR and found myself coming back to it time and time again. I would even run with low power cars from RSRBR and see if I could pass the tests that were designed for the speeds of the stock cars.

I love Rally School in Richard Burn's Rally, it was one of the things that made me thought: "OK, this is a serious rally game, not another arcady Colin McRae's Rally".

Yes do a Rally School please, its most important to teach about stuff that matters most in Dirt Rally, but it should reflect the reality.

A rally school where you are able to shakedown all the cars (i.e. rally, rallycross and hillclimb) gets my vote; a short stage for playing with setup, some cones to practice precision driving and a nice open area to practice some donuts!

Rally school is a good idea and I would normally say yes.
But Dirt Rally is a special case. I think it has already found its audience whom very few would greatly benefit from it. While we all want to see this title succeed and go on to dominate the market to ensure the IP is continued in this direction, I think the reviews and positive feedback are speaking for themselves.

As others have said, time is better spent elsewhere. More rally stages I would say.

A drifting tutorial would be nice, Perhaps on a wide snow or ice stage, even just a round lap or an oval track. I always spinn the car around  when trying to drift (I'm using logitec force GT) and on the Monte Carlo course theres just not enough space to practice. 

nokturn32 said:
A drifting tutorial would be nice, Perhaps on a wide snow or ice stage, even just a round lap or an oval track. I always spinn the car around  when trying to drift (I'm using logitec force GT) and on the Monte Carlo course theres just not enough space to practice. 
A rally car is not build to drift. It can slide and you can control it, but not drifting. Drifting is about to drive sideways, all the time; driving sideways is slower than accurate driving.

I play with a DFGT too and catching/resolving unintentional drifting is hard but you can get used to.

If you are talking about taking hairpins and such...thats another story; there the fastest way (usually) is drifting indeed.

Rally school..? for what? Better to concentrate on doing a good rally simulator. And more cars and 20 or 21 rallies stages..etc

Yes for a simplified driving school with existing tracks. I though about an "ideal line" for different types of corners and chicanes. Ghost drivers with a HUD to visualize steering, acceleration and breaking.
A little bit like in the first two Gran Turismo titles where you have several track sectors with serveral tasks. Maybe something similar with medals (bronze, silver, gold) for each task.

(from an dirt game player with gamepad only)

i Voted no, purely for a selfish reason to be honest :)  (sorry guys :) )
i'd rather have 1 more rally location than a rally school which personally i wouldn't use.

however, for beginners to get used to rallying this might indeed be a very usefull feature, definitely if we keep going into the true SIM direction which i love.

YES                                                                                                                       

I thought about what could help (me personally). I really miss a possibility to try out and practice various types of corners and chicanes with different cars.
For example: hair pins in Greece. It would be nice to start right before to corners and practice them with fast reset to the start point.

Sadly in the current state of the game it's not even possible to take a 180° turn and drive back the corners in a free  run because of the reset/penalty mechanism.

vaRaXul said:
I thought about what could help (me personally). I really miss a possibility to try out and practice various types of corners and chicanes with different cars.
For example: hair pins in Greece. It would be nice to start right before to corners and practice them with fast reset to the start point.

Sadly in the current state of the game it's not even possible to take a 180° turn and drive back the corners in a free  run because of the reset/penalty mechanism.
All your ills could be healed with the allmighty "rewind" button, broadly known in Codies games.... but not this time :)

Having watched some of the videos of the pro's flying around hairpins; I'd like a rally school to coach me how to drive like that. Having said that, a rally school is not completely necessary to make the game more accessible to fans of the previous DiRT titles: Allow players to go back/quit whenever they like and at any screen. Allow players to determine their own difficulty levels. Allow the player to enable the engineer's repair recommendations to be made automatically. Make *shorter* rallies available - that's right, I actually think shorter stages would help the arcadey types. This could easily be done using existing stages (based on the existing checkpoints) and having novice championships. The game is so much better than the previous titles but, if you can't drive > 60s without binning it and end up constantly resetting, it's nowhere near as much fun.

Give me an oval track with a figure 8 with 50/50 tarmac/gravel and unlimited time and quick way to setup a car, and you can skip rally school.

But if not, I'll take rally school, just for having something to train on and setup cars wtih ( assuming you can actually set up your car in it ).