Sign in to follow this  

DONT add flashback

i am fan of sim racing games so i DONT want flashback future, i want to be more carefull when i drive and balance the risks i want.

what is your opinion?

I don't think it hurts to add elements to bring in less-hardcore gamers. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. Obviously I'm in the minority here...lol.

It has no place in the game. If Codemasters are smart, they will not even give it any thought.

The thing is, people would use it if it was implemented. So please let's not even give them the opportunity. It really has no place in this game, imo.

(Copy-&-paste from a prior post on a thread that got closed due to some persistent trolls & shotgun moderating...)

In the spirit of "realism"...

...Should the ability to pause the game (to answer your phone/door, run to the loo, etc.) also be removed since you can't pause a race in real-life?

...Should cockpit/helmet cam be the only driving camera/viewing-angle available (no bumper-cam, no bonnet-cam, no chase/follow-cam, etc.)?

...Should the transmission be set to strictly manual for everyone (no automatic option)?

...Should the ability to re-map the default controller/wheel preset to different configurations & sensitivities be removed to force all players to compete using the exact same control scheme? (You wouldn't mount your rear-view mirror on a real car's steering wheel & stick your horn to the windscreen, even if such button re-configurations might make for less finger cramping with a game controller.)

Do features like these "dumb down" a game & make it too "casual" in order to allow "weak" players to enjoy it?

Of course not. Those are the types of features that improve the accessibility of the game for wider audiences without detracting from the authenticity of the game. The same holds true for other options like single-player flashbacks/rewinds.

It's quite dramatic to claim that it would "ruin" the game when the inclusion of flashbacks/rewinds would have absolutely no effect on you if you don't use them. If you're so worried that other players won't learn or that other players will never turn them off, then you're far too concerned with what other people are doing with their single-player offline games.

I completely disagree with the view that "players don't learn to drive better if they use flashbacks/rewinds."  Flashbacks/rewinds allow players to condense more attempts at tricky spots into less time, which actually enables much faster learning...

...When children are learning to read & they're speaking the words they're reading aloud, they often stumble on the pronunciation of a particular word in a sentence. We don't force them to start the whole sentence (or even the entire book) all over again from the very beginning after getting stuck on just one word. Instead, they're allowed to keep trying to get that troublesome word right & carry on forward from that spot through the remainder of the sentence. I imagine it might take until they reach the age of 50 (or older) before they fully learn to read if they had to start every sentence (or every book) over from the beginning every time they got hung up on just one word.

It's strange that a PC gaming community would strongly oppose such a simple & harmless feature for the sake of "realism" when many love having the ability to create & download all kinds of PC mods that alter game-play significantly.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble or make enemies. I'm just offering another (apparently unpopular) perspective on a feature that I believe would make the game immensely more enjoyable to a lot more people without affecting the game-play one bit for those who don't use the feature.

You can only dumb a game down so much before it becomes another generic moneymaking crap game. No amount of arguments would make flashbacks acceptable in Dirt Rally. Camera views, gearbox, modifying of controls are all standard for racing games. Flashbacks, however, are not. There is a reason this feature is not in the game - because it has no place here. People wouldn't learn anything from it.

For example, they would keep rewinding until they nail one particular corner at highest possible speed and set a new stage record, thus invalidating the argument "if you don't want to use it, don't use it". I would have to keep rewinding to find the ultimate cornering speed just to beat the time set by the other dude. It's just a stupid feature and I for one am glad that Codemasters has not implemented it - and I sincerely hope that they never will. This way the terms are more equal than it would be with flashbacks.

It would also - God forbid :o - encourage people to actually LEARN something and IMPROVE accordingly.

This game is a simulator, or well... well on its way to be one. Introducing flashbacks would be disappointing. I say if people want a proper rally experience, play Dirt Rally. If they want flashbacks, play Dirt 2 and 3.

...they would keep rewinding until they nail one particular corner at highest possible speed and set a new stage record... 

Flashbacks are only a single-player offline feature. In other games, flashbacks are either not enabled in Time Trials or they invalidate the attempt & prevent the time from posting to leaderboards. There's no reason to be so bothered over what other people do in their single-player offline games. You are unaffected by features you don't use.

It's really not not worth arguing. Let the poll decided & as it's only a tool for Codemasters to base there final ideas around. 

Operator1 said:

Yes, because it makes the game a lesser one. :)

Not to me.

Good thing you're the minority then. :)

Maybe good for you, but not for me - and maybe not so good for CodeMasters if they want more sales. I'm guessing that most (if not all) of the people who don't want flashbacks would still buy the game if flashbacks were included. On the other hand, some people who want flashbacks will not buy the game if they're not included in the single-player offline mode. Maybe I'm wrong. I guess we'll see post-launch.

Sorry if I came off as rude. I'm just in a crappy mood and my strong dislike for flashbacks doesn't help.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it.

...I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it.

Same here, friend. No disrespect intended at all. I'm not trying to "win" any "arguments." Just voicing another point-of-view.

Another point of view with no sense in Dirt Rally....

For those type of game just exist Grid games, Dirt Rally necessary must be other game and more real in my opinion...

Operator1 said:

Operator1 said:

Yes, because it makes the game a lesser one. :)

Not to me.

Good thing you're the minority then. :)

Maybe good for you, but not for me - and maybe not so good for CodeMasters if they want more sales. I'm guessing that most (if not all) of the people who don't want flashbacks would still buy the game if flashbacks were included. On the other hand, some people who want flashbacks will not buy the game if they're not included in the single-player offline mode. Maybe I'm wrong. I guess we'll see post-launch.

Agree if Codemasters doesn't cater for the casual gamer and wider audience it won't sell well, if they do include it they can just have a option to disable it for the people who don't want to use it.

Poll options are sort of black and white for me, not gonna vote. I think there should be an option to reduce the number of uses or even turn off flashback, much like how DiRT 2 and GRID did it. Bigger cash bonuses to those who completely turn it off.

Voted against. I wouldn't mind, if there were flashbacks in singleplayer, but there definately shouldn't be any flashbacks in multiplayer (e.g. when rallycross eventualy comes). When I play DiRT3 with friends, we always turn flashbacks off