Why does the online has so many bugs? It's annoying

This is probably the game with the worst online I've ever tried. Every day at least I get 1 or 2 races that get stuck on the "Waiting for more players" black screen after finishing a race,  or also while waiting for the lights to go green at the beginning of a race. And the most annoying thing is that I'm forced to close the game through the Task Manager or Alt+F4 and then I have to start the game again.

It's the first time I play a game of the F1 series by Codemasters so I don't know if these kind of issues are common within the F1 series, but I seriously hope that Codemasters fix the online for future editions; because it's just annoying

Why not be a pal and report them to the proper authorities so they can be aware(*note : they probably are already working on a fix).

• Disagree 3

51 minutes ago, Infinitas said:

Why not be a pal and report them to the proper authorities so they can be aware(*note : they probably are already working on a fix).

That's exactly what Codies has been saying, passively. Except, they aren't giving two ***** to give a heads up or acknowledge these bugs at all. There are all the bugs we know of in MP. People have submitted it countless of times. In the beta, in the early releases, in the current release. They aren't doing anything at all - except pumping out skins 

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Spinmeister said:

That's exactly what Codies has been saying, passively. Except, they aren't giving two ***** to give a heads up or acknowledge these bugs at all. There are all the bugs we know of in MP. People have submitted it countless of times. In the beta, in the early releases, in the current release. They aren't doing anything at all - except pumping out skins 

I doubt with 3 posts you were here during any of the Betas 🙂 

Anyway the answer would be something along the lines of: Because there is a huge amounts of stuff that can go wrong when developing a Peer to Peer multiplayer system which has to work with people who have bad connections and/or bad hardware.

E: It's also worth pointing out that others suffer the same issues as well, because it's not easy to develop.

• Civilization 5/6 (at least) | Desync causes the whole game to be loaded again, can happen after every 10 turns of so if there is any problem with the connections
  • Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers | General desync, falling through world, dying for no reason, ships get stuck on ground
  • PAYDAY 2 | Not everyone can play with each other (NAT?), desync and no host migration
  • EFLC/GTAIV | Desync with physics done on the client-side because of P2P, not everyone can play with each other (NAT) and it's hard to play tag when you never know if you actually hit the other player
  • Terraria | Desync
  • COBALT | Desync
  • and others.

This list gets smaller as years pass 😛 

Edited by UP100
  • Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I doubt with 3 posts you were here during any of the Betas 🙂 

Anyway the answer would be something along the lines of: Because there is a huge amounts of stuff that can go wrong when developing a Peer to Peer multiplayer system which has to work with people who have bad connections and/or bad hardware.

E: It's also worth pointing out that others suffer the same issues as well, because it's not easy to develop.

• Civilization 5/6 (at least) | Desync causes the whole game to be loaded again, can happen after every 10 turns of so if there is any problem with the connections
  • Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers | General desync, falling through world, dying for no reason, ships get stuck on ground
  • PAYDAY 2 | Not everyone can play with each other (NAT?), desync and no host migration
  • EFLC/GTAIV | Desync with physics done on the client-side because of P2P, not everyone can play with each other (NAT) and it's hard to play tag when you never know if you actually hit the other player
  • Terraria | Desync
  • COBALT | Desync
  • and others.

This list gets smaller as years pass 😛 

Why would you defend F1 2019 problems by saying other games have same problems too? Other games don't. Why can't F1 2019? It's not just Desync. It's not just host migration. It's not just connection problems. There's a lot more. (starting bug, infinite loading bug, waiting upwards of 5+ minutes for someone to press "advance" on the session result screen) 

Also, I've had others tell me and I've seen people here talk about the beta. I'm sure I can say the same things the beta testers could say. They have experience first hand.

48 minutes ago, Spinmeister said:

Why would you defend F1 2019 problems by saying other games have same problems too? Other games don't. Why can't F1 2019? It's not just Desync. It's not just host migration. It's not just connection problems. There's a lot more. (starting bug, infinite loading bug, waiting upwards of 5+ minutes for someone to press "advance" on the session result screen) 

Also, I've had others tell me and I've seen people here talk about the beta. I'm sure I can say the same things the beta testers could say. They have experience first hand.

Other games have the exact same issue as P2P multiplayer is very hard to develop in a way that you can have 22 cars going at over 300kph and also have a host migration at the same point. That's why many games don't do host migrations, it's easier to just shut the game.

I'm still not sure are beta testers allowed to talk about their experiences from the last 2 betas, in 2017 we did get a thread about what we can talk about I believe.

• Disagree 2

18 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Other games have the exact same issue as P2P multiplayer is very hard to develop in a way that you can have 22 cars going at over 300kph and also have a host migration at the same point. That's why many games don't do host migrations, it's easier to just shut the game.

I'm still not sure are beta testers allowed to talk about their experiences from the last 2 betas, in 2017 we did get a thread about what we can talk about I believe.

What I meant about the Beta is that bugs that were suggested to be fixed/found were rarely ever fixed or acknowledged. The wheel-to-wheel racing is not the problem at 300kph. The servers can handle that fine if your internet is good. It's the bugs that don't make sense at all, like the one's I've listed already.

2 hours ago, Spinmeister said:

What I meant about the Beta is that bugs that were suggested to be fixed/found were rarely ever fixed or acknowledged.

I doubt that. I logged around half of the bug reports in the F1 2019 Beta and their status, so I should know what I'm talking about.

2 hours ago, Spinmeister said:

The servers can handle that fine if your internet is good.

There are no dedicated servers as far as I'm aware. The matchmaking server is a thing yes, but the game uses Peer-to-Peer as previously stated 🙂 

Edited by UP100

On 12/7/2019 at 12:43 PM, UP100 said:

I doubt that. I logged around half of the bug reports in the F1 2019 Beta and their status, so I should know what I'm talking about.

There are no dedicated servers as far as I'm aware. The matchmaking server is a thing yes, but the game uses Peer-to-Peer as previously stated 🙂 

The Multiplayer sessions are P2P. Of course there are dedicated servers for Events and how do you think the bug tracker is working? CM can see how much you play the game online, you are the product. 'Online services will be down for maintenance' messages are posted on this forum frequently.

Honestly? 

On 12/7/2019 at 12:54 PM, steviejay69 said:

The Multiplayer sessions are P2P. Of course there are dedicated servers for Events and how do you think the bug tracker is working? CM can see how much you play the game online, you are the product. 'Online services will be down for maintenance' messages are posted on this forum frequently.

Honestly? 

As I said myself "matchmaking servers are a thing", which in my mind (at that time) included all the database stuff they have these days. I don't really know what you're trying to say 😕 

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that this topic has become slightly off the original idea post. @ArKapone, can you please provide some video on the issues you have experienced when possible. I also could do with the below details when possible:

A short description of the problem:

Platform you’re on (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Steam):

Game Version (Shown on the Start screen in the bottom left hand corner):

Game Mode, including if it was Single Player or Multiplayer (Time Trial, Career, Grand Prix, Custom Game etc):

If in Multiplayer, how many players and how many AI?

What happened in the lead up to the problem?

If you get an error message, the exact wording of the error message you're receiving:

Any accessories you are using (wheel, pad, etc):

If you have any videos or screenshots, please share them. If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears:

P.S Please refrain from posting accusations about others on the forums, as it is not in the correct community spirit

• Haha 1

@BarryBL

My lord.. 

Start here why don't you..

He is obviously talking about the session not starting because of desynced cars. 
Acting like you don't know what he's talking about... either you guys never play your own game or you're just pretending to be stupid to buy time. 

I really hoped you would be different. bring improvement to the forums.. 

But you give us this **** just so you don't have to say "we've known about this issue for months now and have done nothing about it" 

TRY HONESTY FOR ONCE

Edited by Bicarda
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2019 at 7:33 PM, ArKapone said:

This is probably the game with the worst online I've ever tried. Every day at least I get 1 or 2 races that get stuck on the "Waiting for more players" black screen after finishing a race,  or also while waiting for the lights to go green at the beginning of a race. And the most annoying thing is that I'm forced to close the game through the Task Manager or Alt+F4 and then I have to start the game again.

It's the first time I play a game of the F1 series by Codemasters so I don't know if these kind of issues are common within the F1 series, but I seriously hope that Codemasters fix the online for future editions; because it's just annoying

@ArKapone

Codemasters f1 games have usually been a buggy mess (especially online) 
But this specific one is way worse than the previous editions. 

The issue you are having happens across all platforms and for everyone (it's not you) 
And the way Codemasters has been dealing with this huge issue (half league races need restarting because of this) 
is nothing short of appalling. 

I apologize on their behalf for how @BarryBL wants to make you go through all the effort of reporting something that has been reported hundreds of times before. 
Please don't do that. They know about this.. it happens in F1 esports too for crying out loud. 

With you i hope they will fix their game. but seeing as they don't even acknowledge these issues (there's more.. this is just one of the bigger ones) my hopes aren't high at all.  This should have been fixed 1 week after launch..

• Agree 1

Apologies to Barry but the cynic in me sees a modern trend of software companies using a revolving door policy with marketing and support personnel. This ensures plausible deniability for new staff dealing with old problems and generally keeps us players having to be polite, when we would naturally be getting very annoyed. Remember FAYA anyone? Just when she seemed to be getting a handle on every issue off she went. Of course apologies if these were personal career decisions, but I'm starting to wonder if Codies forum support vacancies are being advertised as 'temporary' or short term contracts only! 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Apologies to Barry but the cynic in me sees a modern trend of software companies using a revolving door policy with marketing and support personnel. This ensures plausible deniability for new staff dealing with old problems and generally keeps us players having to be polite, when we would naturally be getting very annoyed. Remember FAYA anyone? Just when she seemed to be getting a handle on every issue off she went. Of course apologies if these were personal career decisions, but I'm starting to wonder if Codies forum support vacancies are being advertised as 'temporary' or short term contracts only! 

Honestly I don't know what to say here. You're speculating about someone's personal life so that you can use it as a point against Codemasters... She also worked there for over 8 years in total, and now seems to be working at a place she had already known for years to some extent.

It's like you rather take stuff from thin air than focus on some actual drama that we know about.

Edited by UP100
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

17 hours ago, UP100 said:

Honestly I don't know what to say here. You're speculating about someone's personal life so that you can use it as a point against Codemasters... She also worked there for over 8 years in total, and now seems to be working at a place she had already known for years to some extent.

It's like you rather take stuff from thin air than focus on some actual drama that we know about.

Well I did bring that up in the last line of the comment. My point still stands, although not as clear as I could have made it admittedly, that bringing in a new public relations person is not what this game needs. It needs dedicated dev time instead. I don't need answers or explanations, I need patches and long lists of revision notes!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 5

On 12/11/2019 at 3:10 PM, sloppysmusic said:

Well I did bring that up in the last line of the comment. My point still stands, although not as clear as I could have made it admittedly, that bringing in a new public relations person is not what this game needs. It needs dedicated dev time instead. I don't need answers or explanations, I need patches and long lists of revision notes!

This. Developer diaries and Long lists of patchnotes. 
And a novel-sized-book called "How codemasters is finally gonna pull their f1 game out of the gutter and give the licence a game it deserves" 

Cause in not acknowledging issues. And telling what is gonna be done about them. We are getting the impression that delivering a good game is not important for codemasters. As long as the dlc gets sold. 
The fact that more and more new content (2 years of f2, dlc cosmetics) get released without fixing any of the glaring issues this game has proves enough. 

Please stop adding any new content before the game is fixed and old promises (Things that were promised to be fixed.. official graphics) have been lived up to. 

The best NEW content you can add is a working game.. and from now on it should be the first NEW thing you add when starting to develop the next game. 

(ideally of course we get a new game every 5 years instead of 1... keep improving on it.. and adding new seasons with dlc.. but i know that would make too much sense 😉

Edited by Bicarda
  • Agree 2

On 12/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, UP100 said:

Peer to peer may have it's own set of problem's but it doesn't give the right to place excuse or the blame on that. When running with a defective game engine. Otherwise every developer would using it as an excuse.

On 10 December 2019 at 8:55 PM, UP100 said:

This is exactly what feared,

2 new moderaters sticking up for each other,

i remember up100 ,you were quite rude to me on here 3 years ago,  I reported you and my normal account was replaced with this account literally over night, 

land when I asked why ,codemasters said nothing had changed on my account, 

a moderater is supposed to be non biased towards forum users ,

your the the police on here enforcing your will and views on everyone,

i screen shot everything,,

so let me get this right,

the  2 new moderaters UP100 and Marcel,

1 was personally sarcastic and rude and actually storked  me and the other admitted his use of English is not very good,

and then to cape it off they defend each other,

now that is a fact,

• Haha 2
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

On 9 December 2019 at 1:46 PM, Bicarda said:

@ArKapone

Codemasters f1 games have usually been a buggy mess (especially online) 
But this specific one is way worse than the previous editions. 

The issue you are having happens across all platforms and for everyone (it's not you) 
And the way Codemasters has been dealing with this huge issue (half league races need restarting because of this) 
is nothing short of appalling. 

I apologize on their behalf for how @BarryBL wants to make you go through all the effort of reporting something that has been reported hundreds of times before. 
Please don't do that. They know about this.. it happens in F1 esports too for crying out loud. 

With you i hope they will fix their game. but seeing as they don't even acknowledge these issues (there's more.. this is just one of the bigger ones) my hopes aren't high at all.  This should have been fixed 1 week after launch..

Hi all,

well read Marcels comments back to me,

i post f12019 was a masterpiece on dayone release and please don't change a thing,

marcel said what we all know is that codemasters changed core to get more sales,

so how did they change core of game, ( By patches)

the game was changed to attract the causal users,

so all our posting and our hopes that f12019 will be fixed was wasted,

because according to codemasters they can't find any problems or bugs,

,Because they changed the core to drum up more business and f12019 is exactly how codemasters want the game to be with patch 1.18 

just give me my refund £65 Senna vs Prost and £50 for demo version of grid 2019 , and I will vacate this forum,

i am 53 yrs young and the rubbish we get told on here is mind boggling,

codemasters we are real people and invest in our hobby and we believe in what you tell us ,but this years game f12019 has been a stinker ,you started off with a great game amidst a great fanfare on dayone release and ended up with a game that's so bad , it's rated for 3 yr old lol

and as I asked codemasters, you simply could have told us your directions with patches months ago and stopped wasting people's money and time,

you have let yourself down badly codemasters, but what do you actually care , ya don't,

• Disagree 1

@senna94f1

If you believe you have grounds to critique the choices in moderators, please private message me directly. Where I do understand your concerns for the game, of which you have every right to an opinion, the decision of the moderators was taken, in principle, by me and my experiences from the forum and I stand by my decisions as I believe they are the right people for these roles.

My inbox is always open.....

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, BarryBL said:

@senna94f1

If you believe you have grounds to critique the choices in moderators, please private message me directly. Where I do understand your concerns for the game, of which you have every right to an opinion, the decision of the moderators was taken, in principle, by me and my experiences from the forum and I stand by my decisions as I believe they are the right people for these roles.

My inbox is always open.....

I think it's way too early to start judging the new mods, hopefully the new power brings responsibility and gravitas to their roles within the Codies online experience. I've had a long term view that the people who seek power are usually the worst people to be trusted with it (blame politicians for this view!) but also acknowledge that SOMEBODY has to do the job, so it might as well be contributors with experience. 

I will state however that the first time I saw the BLUE background comment quoting mine I thought uh-oh this looks ominous. It's almost as if everything in blue now automatically carries more weight and importance. Would be better IMO if the new mods could turn blue ON when actually moderating (to draw attention to that) but still remain uncolored when they make their own opinions public on future threads. Like em or not these 2 guys have been around a while and as customers have made valuable and interesting contributions to the opinion pot. Would be a shame if they suddenly had to 'behave' and become boring! 

:classic_biggrin:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

I've had a long term view that the people who seek power are usually the worst people to be trusted with it

This is also something that I say every now and then, although my opinions to this come from other internet communities, and not politicians 🙂 

19 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Would be better IMO if the new mods could turn blue ON when actually moderating (to draw attention to that) but still remain uncolored when they make their own opinions public on future threads.

I'd love this to be the case. I can't really tag anyone to this as the only Codies web developer I know hasn't been active for ages...

28 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

have made valuable and interesting contributions to the opinion pot

Which in my case means a lot of controversial opinions 😁 In terms of opinions on the Codies' forums, I've probably always been in the minority.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I think it's way too early to start judging the new mods, hopefully the new power brings responsibility and gravitas to their roles within the Codies online experience. I've had a long term view that the people who seek power are usually the worst people to be trusted with it (blame politicians for this view!) but also acknowledge that SOMEBODY has to do the job, so it might as well be contributors with experience. 

I will state however that the first time I saw the BLUE background comment quoting mine I thought uh-oh this looks ominous. It's almost as if everything in blue now automatically carries more weight and importance. Would be better IMO if the new mods could turn blue ON when actually moderating (to draw attention to that) but still remain uncolored when they make their own opinions public on future threads. Like em or not these 2 guys have been around a while and as customers have made valuable and interesting contributions to the opinion pot. Would be a shame if they suddenly had to 'behave' and become boring! 

:classic_biggrin:

The two new moderators have been briefed on their new role. I encourage them to 'be themselves' and still have an opinion and critique the game regardless of their new Moderator status. 

• Agree 1