Jump to content Jump to content

Rallycross

bogani

austinb said:
yeah i saw that too, was good to hear those intentions. Im hoping the jokers are much longer than the usual part or an extra joker lap might not make up for a very early jump start. I could be very beneficial to jump to get clean track and make up for the extra joker time if the jokers arent very long (which i dont think they are)

Well, the can solve this by limiting how early a car can jump start. Let's say it's possible to jump start 0,5 seconds before the green light, not earlier.

austinb said:
yeah, thats what i always thought, i still think a jump start start penalty should be harsher, tbh we will have to see how it works in practice.
Do a jumpstart. Heat restarts and you're moved to the back. Do another jumpstart and you're DQ?

bogani said:
austinb said:
yeah, thats what i always thought, i still think a jump start start penalty should be harsher, tbh we will have to see how it works in practice.
Do a jumpstart. Heat restarts and you're moved to the back. Do another jumpstart and you're DQ?
that sounds more like what i was originally expecting

Wow. OK, not trying to be a troll, but I just had to look up joker laps and I can't understand the attraction of rallycross sometimes; anything that requires a 'joker lap' to be entertaining is just as unappealing as a motorsport with 'DRS' or 'push-to-pass' buttons or 'option tyres', or any similar gimmick.

RX to me loses the main attractions of rallying to me - the endurance, the scenery and, most of all, the pure insanity of it.

Wow. OK, not trying to be a troll, but I just had to look up joker laps and I can't understand the attraction of rallycross sometimes; anything that requires a 'joker lap' to be entertaining is just as unappealing as a motorsport with 'DRS' or 'push-to-pass' buttons or 'option tyres', or any similar gimmick.

RX to me loses the main attractions of rallying to me - the endurance, the scenery and, most of all, the pure insanity of it.
It's the difference, RX was something that happened to gain momentum, as a "tv-show" when the 1967 RAC Rally got cancelled.
It is supposed to be fast-paced, sprint racing.

It is pretty hard to be able to pass in RX without contact, the joker lap was to try to even it out a bit, it was more entertaining before imo, then you actually had to pass on the track, now you can do it in the joker lap. But the drivers really like it sadly.

So Codie finally (almost) got a proper Rally game, but, people still want Rallycross?

Is this an American-thing? Curious...

RX is exciting watching Faust vs Block from time to time, but, wondering if there's a demographic for this? I'm truly trying to understand the demand for this?  Where do I learn more?
Thanks

Well, as a Scandinavian Rallycross has always been quite close to my heart.

Having competed in lower level motorsport called Folkrace here in Sweden, with older FWD/RWD cars fitted with rollcages and NA tuning allowed. Many rally drivers start their career this way as you are allowed to compete the year you turn fifteen.

These races take place on mixed gravel/asphalt tracks around the country, similar to rallycross.

As they are aiming for the true experience I'm really psyched about it :)

Ledanek said:
So Codie finally (almost) got a proper Rally game, but, people still want Rallycross?

RX is exciting watching Faust vs Block from time to time, but, wondering if there's a demographic for this? I'm truly trying to understand the demand for this?  Where do I learn more?
Thanks

As it's pretty much WRC's with more horsepower that are being used in Rallycross I can def see why.

Diversity is not a bad thing as long as they are aiming to do it properly IMO.

Myrvold said:
It's the difference, RX was something that happened to gain momentum, as a "tv-show" when the 1967 RAC Rally got cancelled.
This isn't entirely correct: rallycross was created at the start of 1967, the RAC Rally cancellation was at the end of 1967. Rallycross was almost a year old at that point. :)
Ledanek said:

Thanks
Rallycross has nothing to do with the US @Ledanek  . It was started in the UK in the late 60's (1967 to be precise) and has only recently been picked up in the US. Don't confuse the American Global Rallycross Championship with proper rallycross either. Look at the European Rallycross Championship (and now the World Rallycross Championship) to learn more. 

tbtstt said:
Myrvold said:
This isn't entirely correct: rallycross was created at the start of 1967, the RAC Rally cancellation was at the end of 1967. Rallycross was almost a year old at that point. :)
Now we are talking about semantics and so on, but I wasn't wrong. I thought about how to write it, as English is not my first, or second language.
That's why I chose to use "gain momentum", as I am very well aware that it was not created when RAC was cancelled, but the extra PR from it, made it gain more momentum :smile: 

Myrvold said:
tbtstt said:
Myrvold said:
Now we are talking about semantics and so on, but I wasn't wrong. I thought about how to write it, as English is not my first, or second language.
That's why I chose to use "gain momentum", as I am very well aware that it was not created when RAC was cancelled, but the extra PR from it, made it gain more momentum :smile: 
My apologies, just read your post again and I see what you mean! 

Thanks.
Will YouTube for those RX then.

As an avg American viewer, we're limited to NASCAR, Outlaw, and Indi.

This global rallying community is AWESOME. I'm learning so much everyday, and I wish there was Internet when I was growing up. I got a lot of catching up on the terms and types of rallying. I feel really sorry when DiRT became a "Ken Block" rallying vs a Colin McRae.  
I do like the DiRT2 RX.

@Ledanek it's not about rallycross, and it does feature Ken Block in a small part (and I think it shows that rallying is his passion, but not his 'business'), but I can't recommend Easier Said Than Done more; a US made documentary about rallying with some beautiful shots.

http://easiersaidthandonefilm.com

If you are going to start anywhere then look at European Rallycross in the period 1986 - 1992 @Ledanek  . 

After Group B cars were banned in rallying a lot of them went to European Rallycross, so you had grids of RS200's, 6R4's, Delta S4's... all running big power and all getting very sideways! At the end of the year there was a rallycross Grand Prix held at Brands Hatch, these were my first introduction to the rallycross and what got me interested in the sport in the first place. Few videos for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQJupVFjXac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSPt6fv-qKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVMSpRqJrBU

You can also find a lot of the European Rallycross Championship from this era on You Tube, so have a search, there are some gems on there! 

Modern rallycross is along the same lines, though there are some more restrictions on the cars now (they have "only" 550 - 600 BHP). The European Rallycross Championship was rebranded as "RallycrossRX" a couple of years ago and split into a World and European Championship. There are loads of short videos on the RallycrossRX You Tube channel: 

https://www.youtube.com/user/RallycrossRXTV

Plus you can watch fully archived Livestream coverage of all the recent races here:

https://livestream.com/fiaworldrallycross

I started watching rallycross last year when the World Rallycross Championship started and put everything up for free on Livestream. It's fantastic rally-inspired racing. Yes it's sprints, yes it's wheel-to-wheel (and bumper-to-bumper, door-to-door, roof-to-ground), but it's also monster hatchbacks (and a Saab) tearing it up sideways on mixed surfaces. And I can always use more of that in my life. And more Petter Solberg.

This might be the most infamous rallycross final so far.
Martin 'Mr.Rallycross' Schanche and the most winning RX driver ever, with 14 titles Kenneth Hansen fighting in the A-Final at Lyngås in 1994.
Schanche had to win, to be able to keep the championship dream alive, if Hansen won, he'd win his first title in the SuperCar division, after 4 titles in the class with Group A cars.
The comment from Schanche after the race was something along the lines of  "We probably should've been black flagged, both of us, but the spectators enjoyed it, and I don't think the stewards dared to give us a black flag".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umdJzvZGDLU

This is one of the races I'll always remember!

Archived