Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Rally 2.0 vs WRC8 with PS4 Controller

Hey Guys.

Which game is playable with PS4 Controller , DIRT RALLY 2.0 or WRC 8 ? So which game is easiest to play with Controller ? 🙂 Thx

PS4 controller is bad for racing because of FFB. WRC 8 has 30 FPS on all consoles - simple choice.

On Xbox controller DR2 is awesome experience.

I haven't had anywhere near as much time with WRC8, but I find DR2.0 more natural on controller. 

Easiest to play? Actually, it’s difficult to say. I have some 20,000 km experience with DR2.0 by now using the stock DS4. I haven’t been playing WRC8 as much I would like yet because I’m waiting for a patch fixing some of the trophies so I can continue my way to platinum.

DR2.0 has a more intuitive controls than WRC8 which is less complex. But when you get the hang of it, I would say that WRC8 is the easiest of the two games. In addition WRC8 has way better AI than DR2.0, that makes WRC8 more accessible for more people. Both games have some dodgy physics, where DR2.0 has built in physics to give  pro gamers advantages over the average players. The physics in WRC8 suffers more for its simplisity.

But to summarise: Both games plays great on PS4 with the standard PS4 controller - no need for steeringwheel and bucket seat to enjoy these games. 😎👍🏻 Personally I prefer DR2.0 though. 😊 If you are like me, a rally enthusiast/purist, you will enjoy both. 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 12/7/2019 at 1:01 PM, Kjell007 said:

DR2.0 has built in physics to give  pro gamers advantages over the average players.

🙄 Has nothing to do with the physics giving an advantage to fast players, they are just fast. Everyone is playing the same game.

On 12/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, TheSerbian said:

Which game is playable with PS4 Controller , DIRT RALLY 2.0 or WRC 8 ? So which game is easiest to play with Controller

Both games play well on a controller, in my experiance. Cant really say which is better though. I think WRC8 might edge it for me. I normally play on a Thrustmaster T300RS. But if I am away from home, I use a gamepad with my laptop so I can still play them both.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

🙄 Has nothing to do with the physics giving an advantage to fast players, they are just fast. Everyone is playing the same game.

I’ve always wondered why I was a tier better on taramac than on gravel in this game, but that was before I realised the following:

The faster you go, the more grip you have on gravel. I have seen several videos with really fast players which makes the game look insane at those speeds. Hence dodgy physics. This effect don’t kick in for those of us that try to drive more normal/realisticly, so yes, the physics gives advantages to the pro gamers. 😇

Having said that, I really coudn’t care less about the top gamers, but I care about realism in the racing games I play. And when Codemasters let the AI be so fast that you have to drive like a pro gamer taking advantage of all the weaknesses in the game including shortcuts and what not, plus the advantage of the grip at high speeds, to maybe be close to a top ten, just to satisfy a couple of hundred top gamers, I think Codemasters missed their target... 😬

@Kjell007

No, it's wrong. The physics in DR2 is more realistic on gravel than on asphalt. I'm also interested in realism and unfortunately have to play with the controller.

The gamepad steering in DR2 is one of the best ever. It reacts fast, faster than in DR1.  But you can also put it down.
The input of the stick at the beginning can also be adjusted. And you can also set the dead zone, which must be lowered to 2-4.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

@paulnbg, I’m not talking about steering/handling of the cars, but the laws of physics. 🙄 The problems with it is explained and demonstrated by an expert driver on this forum in another thread. Please feel free to discuss this with him.

Another thing, why is people have to excuse themselves for driving with a stick? As if it was some kind of inferior? 🙄 I had a steeringwheel back in the days on the Playstation2 using it for WRC3, WRC4, Gran Turismo 3 and Gran Turismo 4. But since you never will feel the G-forces with a steeringwheel, it will never be realistic anyway, so I didn’t bother, and got rid of it together with my bucket seat.

Just now, Kjell007 said:

The problems with it is explained and demonstrated by an expert driver on this forum in another thread. Please feel free to discuss this with him.

Link?

Sure, here: 

Take a look at the video posted by @Tranzitive and approximately 8:45 to 9:15 Dirt Rally is explained. Yes, it is DR1, but these effects are still very present in DR2.0, just take a look at what the really top players post on Youtube. 😉

Edited by Kjell007

7 minutes ago, Kjell007 said:

Sure, here: 

Take a look at the video posted. by @Tranzitive and approximately 8:45 to 9:15 Dirt Rally is explained. Yes, it is DR1, but these effects are still very present in DR2.0, just take a look at what the really top players post on Youtube. 😉

Ive seen the video before, and makes some good points. But you cant just assume that DR2 has the same issues that DR1 had. In DR1 the issue was with the side force which curved the car in mid air. It had nothing to do with just going fast, and everything to do with throwing the car sideways just before leaving the ground at a jump to curve the car around. That, in my experiance, doe not happen at all in DR2.0. If it does, you need to find the information/proof and show me it happening.

@bn880 I belive you tested this in DR1, have you seen the same thing happening in DR2.0????

Anyway, the video I was told to look at; and the point in the video where they talk about DR1 -

Im no slouch when it comes to racing games, and ive not seen this happening personally DR2.0.

@Ialyrn  That's right it does not happen in DR 2.0 

0:00 First you are shown videos of jumping with max Throttle, and then Braking.

0:29 Then data logs for the two are compared in MoTeC.

1:10 Then you are shown a video of a sideways jump (right)

1:24 You are shown a MoTeC log for the sideways jump.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, bn880 said:

@Ialyrn  That's right it does not happen in DR 2.0 

0:00 First you are shown videos of jumping with max Throttle, and then Braking.

0:29 Then data logs for the two are compared in MoTeC.

1:10 Then you are shown a video of a sideways jump (right)

1:24 You are shown a MoTeC log for the sideways jump.

Thanks for replying and linking your video for the tests in dr2.0. I didnt think that issue with the jumps had made it into dr2.0.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

Another thing, why is people have to excuse themselves for driving with a stick? As if it was some kind of inferior? 🙄 I had a steeringwheel back in the days on the Playstation2 using it for WRC3, WRC4, Gran Turismo 3 and Gran Turismo 4. But since you never will feel the G-forces with a steeringwheel, it will never be realistic anyway, so I didn’t bother, and got rid of it together with my bucket seat.

Exactly. I played on steering wheel for more than ten years. It's good but you don't need it to PLAY the game. Gameplay will be always too different from real cars so there is no big reason to "simulate" real car. It's possible for sure but not necessary. I play for the enjoyment in DR2 and for the win in other racing games. It's pretty good without a wheel.

• Agree 2

@Ialyrn, the curve ball effect was only one of the problems in DR1 which was promoted as a «simulator». 😉 But what I’m getting at is what he says next: The more speed you have the more control you have going sideways. Doesn’t fit in with the laws of physics. This is definately present in DR2.0 as well. Then you have the possibilty to drive outside the road like in New England where I’ve seen people drive long straights without beeing affected of speed nor damage. Have you tried that IRL? Then you have those insane shortcuts where you just do a detour into the bushes and through the landscape for instance in Poland. If you have done a stunt like that, you probably have all your tyres punctured and the springs and dampers etc. shot dead, and your car would just stopped in the middle of the field with terminal damage.

Now this wouldn’t be a problem if Codemasters hadn’t made the AI as fast as those who can exploit all these faults the game engine have. When I do an AI challenge in My Team, I end up at the bottom of the list even there. I take a look at the AI difficulty and find that it says «Easy» and the best I can do is 25th?? And that is after 20,000 km experience with the game.

But inspide of bad AI and questionable physics, I do enjoy the game using the stock controller of the PS4 which is excellent for driving games including DR2.0 and WRC8, and that was my main motivation for answering the OP.

2 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

The more speed you have the more control you have going sideways. Doesn’t fit in with the laws of physics.

Your going to need to prove this, either with video footage, or a link to someone who hs proven it. The one you pointed out above is specific to throwing the car sideways just before you leave a jump, not what you are discribing. And the specific issue is not in DR2.0. @bn880 has tested that in both DR1 and DR2, check their youtube channel and videos. What you are describing now is notthe same.

2 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

Then you have the possibilty to drive outside the road like in New England where I’ve seen people drive long straights without beeing affected of speed nor damage. Have you tried that IRL? Then you have those insane shortcuts where you just do a detour into the bushes and through the landscape for instance in Poland. If you have done a stunt like that, you probably have all your tyres punctured and the springs and dampers etc. shot dead, and your car would just stopped in the middle of the field with terminal damage.

These are cases of the individual drivers taking advantage of extremely lax track limits, which I hate as well. But is not a glitch with the game, just poor game design that some are taking advantage off. You wont see me at the top of those LB's on the tracks that are effected by the insane corner cuts, as its cheap in my opinon. But that aside, you have just shown a perfect case of moving the goalposts in order to secure your argument; and changed/added to what you are talking about as a way to prove your point and disprove mine. Unfortunatly you are the one with the burden of truth in this discussion, so you need to show the evidence in regards to the specific exploit where "The more speed you have the more control you have going sideways". You need to leave DR1 in the past, as that is not proof towards Dirt Rally 2.0. I need hard evidence for it happening in DR2 before I can take your point on board as valid.

• Like 1

@Kjell007

During the slide it is worthwhile to fight against the centrifugal forces with full throttle. Spinning wheels increase traction on gravel.
If you don't drive fast enough, you can't drift so well.

That corresponds to reality.  You can't compare physics on gravel with physics on tarmac.

I'm sticking with it: physics on gravel is more realistic than on tarmac.

Just to clarify I tested the jumps.  I am not saying the sliding around sideways on the ground is perfect.  I think *suspect* there is actually a small bit of an issue with excessive combined grip on gravel when the car is going sideways and loaded up, but this I have not tested as it would take grabbing some real life data logs from the same car on similar bends to verify.

Edited by bn880

6 hours ago, PaulNbg said:

@Kjell007

During the slide it is worthwhile to fight against the centrifugal forces with full throttle. Spinning wheels increase traction on gravel.
If you don't drive fast enough, you can't drift so well.

That corresponds to reality.  You can't compare physics on gravel with physics on tarmac.

I'm sticking with it: physics on gravel is more realistic than on tarmac.

Good for you, then. I believe in the laws of physics.

17 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

...you have just shown a perfect case of moving the goalposts in order to secure your argument; and changed/added to what you are talking about as a way to prove your point and disprove mine...

Nice try. 😉