DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Moved from Auto to Manual Gears Help

Feel like I am posting alot lately mainly as I crossed into the sim racing world and I have always ran no assists cockpit cam even before I got my wheel a few weeks ago apart from gears which I have always had as auto Mainly because of the amount of gear changes per lap and running 100% races and the pad is awful but now I am on a wheel I have been thinking of making the change.

I was doing the US GP weekend in career and just didnt feel right with the car in P1 although a green track never helps but car felt all over the place.

so I decided to use P2 as a manual gear trial and suprised that I wasnt too far of my best auto time from P1. I did enjoy the sudden increased grip on some of the corners and by P3 I had to turn the AI up to 90 from 85 which was my pre wheel difficulty (90-95 track depending). What I am struggling greatly with is down shifting in big breaking zones. Feels like I am button mashing to get the car to drop 6 gears in a matter of a second or two think the drs section mid lap. Secondly my race craft has been hampered a fair bit due to the concentration needed to get my gears correct and its zapping my race enjoyment in battles. Thirdly is my hands are feeling kinda of crampy with all the button pressing. I use them alot for work so its an added stress on them I guess over a 100% race.

Basically I would love some pointers especially with down shifting as I am weighing up whether to stay manual or not now I have dipped my toes in. 

Pros: A better feeling of the car limit especially on a low fuel run.

Seems faster by a good 1-1.5 seconds when done right!.

Cons: Struggling to focus on the racing.

Adds stress to hands.

Any help is appreciated as per!

Edited by AdamFreeman

It's true there's a lot of extra finger work being done once you switch to manual. After time muscle memory should take over and it won't be noticeable after all. Definitely helps to start slow and let the muscles learn the changes before speeding up. Word of warning though.. Just because the muscles adapt and do the extra work unnoticed doesn't mean there won't be unforseen problems. Being over 50 and with a career in IT I often suffer from finger and muscle aches after a long race session. I have to take breaks for months after 'beating' a racing game and go back to my other love flight sims, where the button mashing is much less frantic (hopefully!) 

RSI is a real problem and shouldnt be ignored either. It helps if your paddle shifters require ultra light pressure to work. A heavy shifter might feel more solid but it's a medical problem waiting to happen for some! 

Me, I could never go back to auto shifting, I don't like the lack of control, even it it means I can't race 24/7 all year round! 

Well I managed to do a full race with manual was really fast in tbe first stint and it went south from there lace didnt pick up as muh as I would have hoped was fair achey (being new ro ffb aswell) its a game changer compared to pad and auto a month ago.

I obviously dont want injuries I am only 28/29 16 Dec Ive just never had the best hands internally. 

With that said I am not going back to auto for now. When I start PC2 I may go in a lower open wheel formula with less changes and learn my craft there.

• Agree 1

When you get used to manual shifting it will get easier like sloppy says, but never forget to listen to your body. When you are used to it you don't need the musclepower anymore and a slight press will do the trick. You are now so focussed that you automatically use more musclepower than necessary.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the feedback guys moved onto mexico and practised like crazy. Mostly with higher fuel and did a 25 lap stint within 5 tenths of each other mostly I am occasionally hitting a wrong gear and losing the car. Not natural yet but not alien eitherm Put in over 80 laps in p1 and p3 (p2 was a washout) and managed a 1.16.2 fastesr lap in my williams but its consitency not speed for now.

Just need to nail big breaking zones as thats my weakness think I am going to low to early.

When you get better at it you will notice that you no longer count the gears in your head and will learn to shift based on engine sound or the rev lights. I do both. Next you will learn to take corners in a higher gear than expected and see a huge time win. Downshifting under braking will become a second nature and you learn soon enough. Downshifting to far down will result in traction loss or a spin. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

• Agree 1

Its quite the learning curve @1512marcel I quickly learned that lower gears create alot of instability but too higher a gear gives your less bite. The fast section at usa turns 3 onwards has the car go into 8 on auto gears yet I found tons of times in 7th gear and dropping to 6th before the slower section.

Still finding it a pain in a race but lap times are improved 🙂

My favourite car on the game to drive atm is the 2003 Williams. I try and only drive cars depending on the team I am in career (i am weird like that) and I have to say it was an absolute joy even with the manual gears. The 7 shift gearbox was a little easier also but the back end stuck and was alot easier not to spin out which I didnt do once. Was able to push also the 2018 Williams is just pants 😂

Completly settled in with manual now. Using auto feels abit bare if that makes any sense and also got PC2 yesterday and love the tyre model. Formula A is a bit unstable but Formula X seems interesting.

• Thanks 1

Glad you have worked your way into manual shifting. Has it improved your times or are you not that far yet. Looking back would you say that the learning curve was steep? Not knowing how many hours you have put into it I would say that you did a good job and certainly can be bookmarked for new players thinking about trying this. Good post and thanks for keeping us updated. 

When I hit the perfect lap I am faster than an auto perfect lap. But I am prone to making more mistakes as you have to control revs and throttle application so spinning out in the lower gears is what I have to work on now but this is only a problem in the current gen cars with the torgue. since I only run flashbacks in the race due to torpedo AI I have had a disapointing qualy session just now atabu dhabi and was on course for  Q2 but over reved in gear 3 with a few corners to go but thats racing and my fault so gotta take it on the chin.

I do wish Id done manual earlier but I am overall faster now almost back to pad level. Its the level of control though rather than times thats better. Can go agressive on the gear changes or save fuel with early shifts learning which corner to take certain gears in makes it all more satisfying.

Learning curve so far has been Usa, mexico, brazil and just got the race at abu dhabi to go in terms of f1 18. Managed a point in brazil which was a breakthrough result since the cars still worst on grid. 

Managed to load PC2 up and feel right athome with manual 🙂 will start a career on that soon manual feels like a breeze in non F1 cars alot less gear changes per lap

Edited by AdamFreeman
  • Agree 1

What most folks don't understand about manual gears and why it's essential to manual shift during any racing event is how the RPM works. Each gear in a car or race car increases in revolutions per minute with the end to get optimally to as close to redline as possible,  where the engine's MAXIMUM HP and TORQUE are reached just before hitting redline. If you use the up-shift beep in manual mode, each beep represents the engine's max hp and torque at this point in the gear range.  This means that in 1st gear, if you shift manually and get as close as possible to redline, you've just squeezed out the maximum HP and Torque from the engine and that's power on tap for each gear. In addition you can hold that power for as long as you like by keeping the meter hovering near redline. Automatic shifting doesn't get as close to redline as possible even in an F1 car. In addition to squeezing out maximum HP and Torque, you have the benefit to downshift to the power gears (2 and 3) for some serious corner exit speeds. Again, something you don't have access to with manual shifting.  Remember in each gear you get to reach a car's maximum power by getting as close to redline as possible, and this is the fun factor and control you gain over a race-car when you shift manually - enjoy the benefits, but it will take some time to get acclimated to.

Edited by FOneFanatic
typos and such

God we are going back some years now but when I was wanting to get faster with manual gears I watched videos of the aliens on YouTube and copied what gears they were in and tried to replicate it. Takes a bit of practice and time but you'll get there. 

5 hours ago, inspiretheworld said:

God we are going back some years now but when I was wanting to get faster with manual gears I watched videos of the aliens on YouTube and copied what gears they were in and tried to replicate it. Takes a bit of practice and time but you'll get there. 

Me too but recently! Nothing like watching a real world F1 pole lap to see where to gain time and especially to see how much higher gears were used than what I ws doing before. 

22 hours ago, AdamFreeman said:

Completly settled in with manual now. Using auto feels abit bare if that makes any sense and also got PC2 yesterday and love the tyre model. Formula A is a bit unstable but Formula X seems interesting.

Have you been using the Formula x boost button (crazy kers) ? Some wild power there available for sure. Check out my tunes if you want more stable setups. Just search for sloppy's fun, fast and stable career tunes. 

😎

I just did a few laps wanna earn a real FX drive didnt use kers lol

Formula A seems very unstable can drive all other cars but FA I have to tiptoe around the track!

Also helmet cam will ruin f1 games for me 🙂

@sloppysmusic ran into an issue camera in PC2 has glitched even though my setting havent changed. I play with default camera settings mostly but they have all zoomed in despite the values staying the same. Even if I fully zoom out on cockpit cam the drivers hands are massive when the wheel turns covers the whole screen. Its weird and I cant play the game! 

More on topic though pre glitch

Going to project cars 2 helped me nail gear changes the Formula 3.5 and GT classes especially! only had 6 gears and is a pleasure to drive forget formula A its got not backend. Plus with them mostly being spec or non upgrade series you literally can see your times quickening and natural progression with difficulty where it all gets abit blurred with F1 with engine wear and all. 

Do miss the F1 career though when I got my first Gt4 win didnt feel like an achievement the team said sod all and my character didnt celebrate. I am much slower in non open wheel cars can almost max the difficulty in Formula 3.5 yet I am around 60 for GT3.

The lack of getting contracts and teams is a let down compared to Pc1 though. You just pick where you wanna go and which car yes you have to do well to move up but I can pick any seat!

Did get satisfaction from having the lowest power GT4 car though got killed on the straights but knowing I could just switch easily to the higgest powered car if I failed kills the immersion abit.

But the overall point is manua gears its much better Id only go auto with a pad.

Although CM has bought SMS I’m not sure your issue can be answered here, at least not by me 😇 But I ‘m glad you figured out the manual gearing, and you are right, it is much better and so much more satisfying once you get the hang of it.

@AdamFreeman as Marcel said unusual to get an answer here for pc2 but will have a quick go! Pc2 has TWO cockpit cams which can get mixed up if they are selected by mistake. There is the standard cockpit cam and the HELMET cam. The HC will give you some cool stuff like apex leaning but also mute the sound from the engine a little as.... Well. You got a helmet on! Also helmet cam will show the chin guard at the bottom of you lower the view who used to drive crazy so I stopped using it. 

A tip with pc2 is to use a keyboard to change view settings. On pc it's easy on ps4 you vs use a cheap Bluetooth kb. Go into view controls and configure 4 keys for fwd/back/up/down. There are none set as default. Pcars is so much better when you move your viewpoint around to get your perfect view! For instance prototypes can have very limited views so I move forward until windshield fills my screen, as I use a wheel this looks more realistic than the backseat view! 

Step 1 check if you're using cockpit or helmet view 

2 tweak it! Both views remember their own settings so beware! 

With gt4 being slow... Don't forget some of the career events are MULTICLASS. This means different cars such as gt4, gt3 and lmp cars all race in same event. They are color coded top left and graded. You do not need to beat the faster cars only the other cars in your class to. Win! It's a common mistake if you don't know of MULTICLASS races. LeMans 24 is a classic MULTICLASS race check YouTube videos to see them all in action and their separated results! 

OK no more pcars tips, they have their own forums lol! 

Don't forget your differential deceleration setting can generate lift-throttle oversteer(usually quite tame on default settings).  Even though you know you need to bang down from 6th to 2nd for a given turn, hanging on to say 3rd gear for a split second can tighten up a turn JUST a little bit more than simply just going from gear A to gear B.  You can really get a sense of it driving a properly modeled old Porsche 911 based racer in something like AC.  If you can tame the old RSR 3.0 you'll see what I mean.  Although F1 is nowhere near as ruthless as that car.

On 12/30/2019 at 2:21 PM, AdamFreeman said:

Do miss the F1 career though when I got my first Gt4 win didnt feel like an achievement the team said sod all and my character didnt celebrate. I am much slower in non open wheel cars can almost max the difficulty in Formula 3.5 yet I am around 60 for GT3. 

Don't sweat it, the AI for F3.5 in PC2 is weak compared to other classes. Using a lower fuel setting can help make the series more competitive.

Good subject!

Hands... fingers... At 74, Chef all my Life, the hands have taken indeed a beating. 

I use to also "Amateur Rally Race" in Europe starting in 1966 [Austin Cooper SS 1500cc "non synchronized" gear box !!! Try that one...] and while that cannot happen anymore I am finding the reality of F1 and others being, well... reality from the comfort of my Home!...

I have the gearbox set up for both "auto" and "manual". Being new at it I already need my evaporating attention to the lines and the curves! I am finding out using the manual more for downshifting than upshifting... Just a sharing thought.

I actually was given on this wonderful Forum the instructions to change the "driver's assist" through setting and on preferences and strangely enough I cannot change it again! Wonder why if anyone has an answer? I see it, click on A but comes back unvailable... Maybe starting the settings/preferences from a different page? What would be the start up page to find such option/

A shot in the dark!!!

I still have a Mini JCW here brought back from Europe [304hp GOKART] and it is paddle shifting! Too much hardware in my lower spine and new hips for manual... With heads up display I do like it... Video Game and Car, both enjoyable... until I get a ticket on one of those surrounding Mountain Roads!

Stay well...

Ara

On 1/24/2020 at 10:07 AM, steviejay69 said:

Did you see my last post?

On 1/24/2020 at 10:35 AM, steviejay69 said:

Thanks. This is the only suggestion on Thrustmaster's site.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00148.pdf

If you have a controller connected, some controllers require you to start with the button on the wheel, not the controller. 

On 1/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, steviejay69 said:

It sounds like you need to add the controller in the game. From the main screen, go to Game Options....argh, give me 30 minutes and I'll complete this from my PC with screenshots.

This is going to be a bit to the left "off subject" but I cannot find the "setting" section to switch from auto to manual! I did once, I should have written it down but nowhere now I can find it.

I am wondering if it is an option only in career maybe? Or is it across the board?

Frustrating! If anyone has the answer... I am now is solo laps or I can go back to the home page where there is a setting section but it is for the X box!

Thank you in advance... feeling stupid really!

Ara

17 minutes ago, AraGur said:

This is going to be a bit to the left "off subject" but I cannot find the "setting" section to switch from auto to manual! I did once, I should have written it down but nowhere now I can find it.

I am wondering if it is an option only in career maybe? Or is it across the board?

Frustrating! If anyone has the answer... I am now is solo laps or I can go back to the home page where there is a setting section but it is for the X box!

Thank you in advance... feeling stupid really!

Ara

When in-game, press menu.

Preferences|Assists, I think. Then Gear > Manual

I don't even remember stuff like this, I confess. It's just there. Appreciate if not, it's not.

* Stop the game

* Take the disc out, turn X Box off

* Turn back on as it is impossible [I think!] to get back to the Main Menu otherwise.

* Time laps "does not give options, settings".

" "Career"

* [New career in my case] On to "who" in F2, Driving Academy, and finally "weekend structure" / Gameplay settings / Assists / [THIS IS THE ONE]

Maybe there is another path? It is the only one I have found. It is not a setting offered in "solo laps" strangely enough. It should be much easier to get to... Unless I am missing something.

Well, it is written down now here!!! [In case I lose it it and myself again... getting too old maybe for this stuff played by too many generations behind me!!!]

Appreciate the help putting me on the right path.

Ara

F1 2019 Settings.jpg