DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[FEATURE] Mod Support

I think with so many minor requests tweaks here and there that we would like but DiRT Tesm just doesn't have time to do, mod support would fill in a lot of those.

some sort of open API would be a game changer for DiRT.  

Look at Asetto Corsa's mod community, there is a huge pool of talent out there willing to create cars and tracks.  Some cars being done so well that they are now included with the game, and I'm sure the creator was compensated for doing it.  

Opening up mods, again curated to an extent, can allow for additional content that Codie's just can't get the manpower to add (even when they want too).

I think 113 "Yes" votes are the most we got on any poll, so if this doesn't convince Codemasters, it means they just don't want us to get it.

I agree with mod support if it means allowing new cars, physics, sounds, AI and tracks to be created externally and added to the game, but I don't agree it's a good use of resources to create some some of dedicated editing suite, as a 'car editor' and 'track editor' might imply.

As for modding not being encouraged due to possibilities for DiRT Rally 2, I think that's not appropriate with the modern gaming ethics. DR2 would only exist, in my mind, if there was a new engine to base it on; games such as this nowadays can have a long life cycle through the DLC model and continual updates; they don't necessarily need a brand new release every year (although maybe I'm wrong on that). However, to encourage this, I can understand restrictions to mods, or at least to specific cars being added that CM could be working on licenses versions of.

I'm saying YES PLEASE to mod support.
I think with codies currently working on cars and tracks that allowing mods for that at this point isn't worth it. In my opinion they should open up liveries to be messed with by modders now and then look to add a full and proper API for really changing the fundamentals (in a relatively safe way) later down the line.
I'm not sure what game it was but I remember an old rally game where if you took a wrong turn your car was turned into jelly or something, I want to be able add that for some serious laughs.

I voted for Livery, plus car and track editor because it's obviously the best idea, but knowing how could it be difficult to implement I'm satisfied to start with liveries only.
Sure, being able to create tracks and cars from external programs would be great, but as I seen while I was making my map for GTAIV there's really few people that create original content (most of them convert objects from other games).
While making good liveries takes some good effort, it's simpler to get used to and implementing it is not that difficult.

Kunos Simulazioni set rule for modders that new stuff made by them can't be just converted/ripped from any other games without permission of their proper makers, but must be made from scratch... And modders respect it, so there is no problems with mod support for Assetto Corsa.
I think if Codies do the same, situation will be similar.

Cars and tracks mods would be awesome but not many people are able to create mods with good quality... So it's a bit useless

Cars and tracks mods would be awesome but not many people are able to create mods with good quality... So it's a bit useless
I think that won't be problem - just look at RBR community: there are many cars made by fans, and almost all (if not all) of them are not converted, but made from scratch. 

I think mod support is absolutely necessary if this game wants to have a big succed. Carrer mode tunrs monotonous with the same locations. I think this game has a great comunity which would creat new tracks and cars. I think this game could be RBR's successor with mod support in my honest opinion. (Mod support would include new cars, physics, stage locations, etc).

Mod support? Please YES! But it's an early acces, (IMHO) i don't want to see the same on Assetto Corsa, with mods when the game is not completed. Updates about physics and all the mods stop working, people waiting the modder to update his mod and start the chaos...
Again, i love mods and really i hope it supports, but when the game is finished, for now, liveries and help devs :)
Thanks!

FlakHound said:
Definitely want to see some support for modding. I think the first logical step would be the Steam Workshop for livery needs. I'm not so keen on the idea of downloadable cars because they would need to be seriously screened to prevent exploiting the game. A track editor would be pretty cool provided that people will have the ability to make well done stages, not just an empty barren track.

We should probably get some of the modders like @hoonhead to weigh in on what they think as far as implementation goes.
they could make the modded cars only available in single events. i would say private servers, but theres not really any multiplayer here.

I'm independent rally track creator (all can find my work with my nic name) and I will be interested have some "exporter" for Dirt and some advice to have "dirt" quality in hight level...
Also we need some "Pacenote" editor there, because co driver not all time is correct (something like in RBR) and camera position editor too...
At the same time, need length on track loading screen

Livery, plus car and track editor.

if we want that DIRT RALLY will have a long life, is necessary

Miczelov said:
Kunos Simulazioni set rule for modders that new stuff made by them can't be just converted/ripped from any other games without permission of their proper makers, but must be made from scratch... And modders respect it, so there is no problems with mod support for Assetto Corsa.

Yeah these are the rules, but there are tons of ripped cars available for Assetto Corsa, not just on the official forum. Even there some bonehead comes along once in a while pretending to make a model that later is proved to be ripped.

would love to see a track editor, but that never happen. unless it was without pace note reading.

mod custom livery, thats already going on right now in dirt rally, i now this because i am doing it, one problem you have to over rule the main files, thats why you make back ups, but guys have yous never clicked in game there is 3 car skins/liverys blank !!! normaly 6/7/8 etc example, so i am thinking codemasters are already to make this happen in the later release of game

bogani said:
Miczelov said:

Yeah these are the rules, but there are tons of ripped cars available for Assetto Corsa, not just on the official forum. Even there some bonehead comes along once in a while pretending to make a model that later is proved to be ripped.
Yeah - but it's like with every rules... There's always someone who will break them. And it doesn't mean that most of modders who have much respect for creators of their beloved game, must suffer lack of support, because there is some tiny percentage of people who will break this rules because they are dumbf...s, who don't respect anyone, and anything.

Also - there are not many rally games with tracks at accurate level of details, which they can be ripped from. Actually in almost every other rally games tracks are like "gravel highways", which is why we love DiRT Rally - because for the first time since RBR, someone put in game tracks, at which sometimes one car can barely fit on. So I don't think that anyone could be that stupid so would try to convert tracks from any arcade-style rally games - it's would just make no sense. But what about tracks from RBR? Original ones are just too low detailed, and pretty old, so they should be completely remade. In case of newer ones I don't think that anyone need to ask for permission to convert and/or remake them for DiRT Rally, because I think that original authors would happily do this.

At the very least I would love to see steam workshop for custom textures for the cars. 

Mod Support to create own stages FTW:

I badly miss mixed Tarmac - Gravel  surface events in D:R.
starting with tarmac wheels ... sliding on some gravel sections, then back onto tarmac !!

good old Austrian Semperit Rally Ftw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAvXEmoTOng

btw: I would love to have the possibilty to choose the Wheels type myself before stage start - based on the surface percentage stage forcast --- like in the Colin Mc Rae Rally Era !