Sign in to follow this  

F1 2018 Crash to Desktop

F1 2018 crashes to desktop frequently. Sometimes every half hour, sometimes it will play for a few hours. The game will freeze for about 1 second before crashing to desktop. There are no symptoms prior to this.

I have tried various combinations of graphics and sound settings. I have tried verifying the game files. I have updated drivers. I have tried moving the game to the c drive. I have reinstalled windows 10 pro. Nothing has solved it. I would be happy to try any other suggestions.

The crash dump attached contains a file info.txt including the lines:   "ReportCode": "THCE-XKHS-SPGX-DBMG",  "Exception": "C0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 000000004419FE61", Exception access violation apparently referring to memory access. I have run memtest86 for hours, completed several passes and found no problems.

I have logged various parameters while playing and I cant find any indication of a problem. The GPU RAM does not fill up, GPU load is not abnormal before the crash, neither is CPU load. Temperatures and voltages are normal. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

crash_dump#76561198025566093.zip

DxDiag.txt

hardware_settings_config.xml

hardware_settings_info.xml

Edited by JackWalrus
Added dxdiag and hardware settings

I'm going to say your soundcard driver is not WHQL. It is updated. Have you onboard sound you could enable to eliminate the ASUS Xonar DG? (There appears to be a High Definition Audio device in the dxdiag but I'm unsure as to what it is.)

You have either Media Player Classic and/or the K-Lite Codec pack installed, remove it with Geek Uninstaller. If you think you need it for video, you don't, use VLC Player.

The motherboard is not identifiable from the dxdiag, can you let me know what it is please?

The CPU is quite old now and the graphics card a bit on the skimpy side (sorry, it just is) but this should meet minimum spec easily, you might need to turn down the settings to Medium or Low to get a good framerate (looks like from the hardware_settings_config.xml that you may have already done that).

Mainly I think the sound card is the culprit.

Hi, thanks for your response. I did suspect the sound card since I used to have issues with the ASUS drivers. I'm currently using the UNi Xonar Drivers which have been working without problem and at lower latency than the ASUS ones. I did try playing the game with the Xonar disabled in device manager, using the onboard audio, and I had the same crash. Do you think this is sufficient to rule it out? or should I remove the card from the system?

I do have Media Player Classic installed because VLC wouldn't play some copy protected DVDs but I only installed it this week and it was crashing long before that.

The motherboard is an ASUS P6X58D-E which is just as old as the processor and lacks drivers for windows 10 but I don't have stability problems outside of this game although maybe it is time for an upgrade.

I'm happy to run the game on super low and achieve about 110 fps if I disable v sync.

Is it possible to extract any useful information from the crash dump?

Thanks Again

Jack

OK, I have tried all combinations of sound devices and drivers. Uninstalling the drivers and disabling the devices. The game crashes while using the Xonar card or the Realtek, it even crashes if I uninstall all sound drivers. So I think it must be something else.

The CPU is really outside minimum spec (it doesn't support newer maths instructions like AVX).

The mainboard BIOS was last updated in 2012. It shows it contains uCode 0x15 (all chips contain errata, this is the mitigation). Your BIOS version doesn't match the version on the ASUS website exactly (it might have been Beta? or maybe sometimes the versions don't match the date exactly).

Intel stopped with firmware (uCode) updates to it during SPECTRE testing in 2018.

I have no idea what is contained within the OS but certainly patch support was dropped by Microsoft in v1803.

If you run HWiNFO, it will report if the OS has even updated the uCode (suspect 0x1C or 0x1D, but should verify as 0x15 minimum).

There has been another dev build checked into Steam 4 days ago. If it doesn't contain just DLC then keep your fingers crossed ✌️ (nearest I could get).

Technically my CPU no longer meets 'Recommended' spec as it doesn't have 6 cores, nor TSX-NI.

Hi, thanks again for the response. The BIOS is the one from the Asus site, I updated it myself a few years ago. The microcode reported by HWiNFO is 1D. Which I think is the latest for my processor?

How do I see and download the dev builds? I can't see anything under betas or F1 2018 update history.