Sign in to follow this  

Autosport Corner Cutting

Ya corner cutting is geting 4 wheels off the track, 2 wheels off the track is not corner cutting in my book.

@Ronin05‌ you really have a point there. Connect corner cutting to a driver rating "could" be thé solution. Your driver rating rises when respecting racing rules.

Purple44 said:
Ya corner cutting is geting 4 wheels off the track, 2 wheels off the track is not corner cutting in my book.
Yep, in G1 there was a "white line" rule or guideline that recommended that we always had to keep 2 wheels on the right side of the white line. I think it was mostly on Spa that it was used.

in some other sims you get warnings for corner cutting. 1st and 2nd time is only warnings. Then there is a stop'n go penalty and finally dsq if you don't behave.

Like in Assetto u get slowed down to 50km, but sometimes u just go an inch out of course and bam there u go :-B  , think the line to set the penalty is to difficult/to thin, in real racing they spin out to often.

Still cutting corners on purpas needs to be punished HARD    >:)

Hey all, we've been watching this thread and talking about it ourselves and the one thing we didn't want to do was to come back with a one sentence answer that maybe caused more questions than it answered.

James, our Chief Designer (his forum account is WIP) has magic'd up some words, of which you’ll find them below.

//Enter James

Hi all,

We’re really flat out at the moment trying to close the game, so apologies for being a bit quiet in the last week. However, we couldn’t help notice the corner cutting thread, and wanted to give some more information on this, because I understand why it’s a concern.

We’ve made a lot of changes since GRID2, and only some of those were present in the announce code builds (from which the recent YouTube gameplay footage was taken). That announce code is 2-3 months old now, and the game has advanced a great deal since then.

We’re still balancing it now, but here’s a list of changes that have occurred:

• You now need to have all 4 wheels across the white line to incur a penalty. We’ve fixed this since the announce build was created
  • You only incur a penalty if you’ve gained an advantage for going off track. If you re-join the track no better off than driving at full speed on the driving line, you won’t get a penalty.
  • The penalty is proportionate to the amount of advantage gained, so tiny, accidental cuts of the white lines will only slow you down a little before you get up to full power
  • The off track surfaces are much more realistic than they were in GRID2, where you could pretty much hold full speed even off road. In Autosport, you’ve got a realistic amount of grip and slowdown on grass, gravel etc, which makes it pretty tricky to drive off road and gain an advantage
  • In multiplayer, we ghost players who have incurred a penalty, so they can’t block you
You may also have noticed that we apply penalties in a smoother, less jarring way than GRID2.

Hope this is useful and interesting information, and I’m sure you’ll get to see this in action as and when we’re doing live streams further down the line.

//End James, Loore service resumed

That sound like a penalty system that could work well online. :)

Just need text chat so I can buy GRID Autosport on release day!

I bet some people will be still complaining about corner cutting lol
Well it sounds good in theory but the proof is always in the pudding.

But without the text chat we will not be able to easily communicate with other ppl in the way we want, stating just before race it its a white line race or a total DD / LMS on a normal track

Once again I have to give a  +Kudo Codies. Great info and appreciated!

Yep.  Sounds like a big improvement, but I still very much prefer the original GRID penalties:  no official penalties, just natural consequences to cutting, like loss of traction in grass, dirt, gravel, kitty litter - or rocks, holes, various obstructions, etc.

Nice feedback/feedback, though.  Thanks.

Frank (the new guy)

Will waIt and see of course, but from that description there are certainly still plenty of things that could go wrong :) Sounds like it's more concerned with how much time you've gained rather than whether you've gained a positional advantage for example. Anything that still needs "balancing" this close to release when it ought to be pretty black and white always gives me the fear!

Andi said:
Well it sounds good in theory but the proof is always in the pudding.

<pet hate>The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the pudding... </pet hate>

RubyRuby said:
Yep.  Sounds like a big improvement, but I still very much prefer the original GRID penalties:  no official penalties, just natural consequences to cutting, like loss of traction in grass, dirt, gravel, kitty litter - or rocks, holes, various obstructions, etc.

Frank (the new guy)
Problem is you can still control the car if you lose traction and drift it back on the track.

RubyRuby said:

Frank (the new guy)
But online, there was some major cheating going on, on some the tracks in GRID 1. :(

In the v8's they use tyre bundles inside corners, a great preventative for corner cutting in the non open wheel categories.
I know @Loore‌ has already mentioned there's going to be some tyre bundles. Most probably on chicanes?
Also I just want some clarification on how the game determines track limits?
Is the kerb classified as infront of or behind the white line?

In the v8's they use tyre bundles inside corners, a great preventative for corner cutting in the non open wheel categories.
I know @Loore‌ has already mentioned there's going to be some tyre bundles. Most probably on chicanes?
Kerbs are always behind the white line.

yeah that's how I view it too

yeah that's how I view it too
That's also how I view it.
If that's how they've implemented it, then
1. That's great
2. There's going to be a lot of complainers who say they've been just on the kerb.
And probably why there were so many complaints due to lack of knowledge on actual track limits and also not knowing the benefits of, how running off can be seen as an advantage and why they tried to penalize it.

NFS Shift had a good system where if your tyres went on the grass at a corner you would get a 5 sec penalty and your gear would drop back to 1st.

Yeah kerbs count as off-track as they're behind white lines. But the penalty system will not kick in unless you have all four wheels over the line, so you can still use plenty of kerb without worrying. Just maybe not the kerbs + a bit more ;)