Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Autosport Corner Cutting

I saw on one of the GRID Autosport videos that corner cutting is punished by the car slowing down for a few seconds. I assume that this will be online too.

I think it would be good if the online lobby host had control over the corner cutting penalty. IE could set how long the car is powered down for after a corner cut or even switch it off altogether. If you find the lobby is full of cutters, then the time could be made longer, if you are in a lobby with clean racers, then it could be switched off as even the best drivers go off track occasionally.

I really hope cutting penalties system is better than in G2. 

But from what you can see in YT vids, it again punishes you even if you go few cm on grass :/  I.e. there will be cars 2/3wide going thru corner, sometimes it happens that one of them will be pushed a bit off track and then punished for cutting. It will spoil the close racing. It's not what we want in arcade game like GAS. We want to punish only big time cuts. 

I also think that grass doesn't slow down the cars. Or at least in some places. It would be enuf to make slower any surface outside track where is cutting possible.

I await the revelation of all the game's penalties with anticipation!  I hope so much for Codies to bring GAS back into the hands of the clean racer whilst keeping the game fun.  Let's see... :-S

yeah  i would like the penalty system to be optional in custom lobbies online too..
i dont like slow down penalty system...>:P
sometimes its normal you to go out of track because you lost brakes , corner , to avoid other cars etc , that does not means that you should get a penalty
It would be good the host to be able to adjust the severe level of penalties: low - medium - high - off etc
as many other members have refered , for me it could be ok  just blockings in specific cheat spots of the tracks and democratic voting penalty system ...
ok we have to see how that will work.. :-?

Codies PLEASE add an option to turn all penalties off when playing online and offline. As other people have said going off track isn't always an intentional way of gaining time, in fact a lot of the time when most people do it they lose time so then getting all power from your car stopped for a certain amount of time is a double kick in the teeth. An option to simply turn this off would be great.

I thought Autosport was a game made in response to the negative feedback from GRID 2? 

Is this true?......You've added the ridiculous corner cutting for goin a couple of cm off track. 

Could CM provide a detailed list of the negative feed back that they have responded to with Autosport? 

Your still having a stupid and annoying corner cut system, thats more strict than any system in place on the xbox 360's number 1 sim racer - Forza 4.  Yet you say this game isnt a SIM???? So get rid of the stupid BS corner cutting when its not corner cutting.  Running onto the grass and back onto the track to avoid a smash, isnt corner cutting...it doesnt deserve a penalty...its clean racing.  What are you supposed to do?......apply the GRID 2 racing mentality to a crash infront of you.....pile in full speed?. 
I dont think so! 

And you having flashbacks online??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Codemasters I put it to you that you dont listen to your feedback.   Yes you read it, but your not really interested. You know best....... well im sorry to tell you... you dont know best.   GRID 1 was awesome, and is a classic racing game.  GRID 2  - Failed.  
Instead of giving the community a sequel to GRID 1, which is all we ever wanted,  You decided that we wanted something different.  You tried to take it to the "next level".  That was wrong.  Take GRID back to its routes, and make Autosport the sequel that the community wanted in the first place.  

Is it true that GRID 2 was just a BETA for GAS? 

The corner cutting penalty system has been improved since the pre-alpha footage that's out there. It still works in largely the same way but you have to go more clearly off track and gain time for it to trigger. The designers want you to be able to race hard so they've tried to tune it to allow you the margin to do that.

I really hope so.  But a much better system, would be sticky grass, and gravel traps. 

If they are sticking to the slowed down cars penalty system, I hope they realise that the penalised car needs to ghost IMMEDIATELY,  so not to penalise any other player. 

The grass and gravel will also slow you down to some extent. The grass just a little bit and the gravel traps a heck of a lot, and you are ghosted when the penalty hits in multiplayer to prevent pile ups.

I really hope so.  But a much better system, would be sticky grass, and gravel traps. 

If they are sticking to the slowed down cars penalty system, I hope they realise that the penalised car needs to ghost IMMEDIATELY,  so not to penalise any other player. 
I hate sticky grass. Completely ruins good racing games in my opinion

corner cut system with car slowdown is too much invasive and not-real.
and everyone can push you on grass and make your car have a undeserved penalty... 

So the only thing that can be done is to make sure no advantage is gained. It's quite problematic to implement without side effects. There are the ones who gain and the ones who lose. Tracklimits are tracklimits and gone over should be warned. Do it again get small penalty. 1 second slow for exemple. Do it for the 3th time 2seconds penalty..etc...etc No penalty when avoiding traffic/accident. No penalty when limits are exceeded due to other players. Bumped, forced to go wide etc

turn off option for user defined online race....i think its not hard to implement these, i want to see !

Britpoint said:
The grass and gravel will also slow you down to some extent.
Digging into the gravel traps was mechanically awesome and a highlight for me!  =D>  I can't wait for more... 8-}

I agree that the slow down "sticky grass" is ridiculous.  Takes you out of the immersion.  F1 2013 has this and it doesn't make sense. 

Making the grass extremely slippery like real life is penalty enough.  Extreme corner cutting, with all wheels off the track should be penalized by time penalty if time trial, or a race director warning then dq like in the F1 game.

The real tragedy is not corner cutting problems, but the inevitable "bash you off the track and damage your car" guy (either intentionally or unintentionally) that will not be penalized. Then you, the CLEAN racer, has damage and finishes last (because you can't even pit), just behind the guy that T-boned you off the track. Corner cutting is small potatoes compared to the lack of penalty system for collisions.

I prefer an invisible wall option than a corner cutting penalty. You not only lost time due to the penalty, but momentum as well. 

is far better without corner cut penalty, that cause much more problems than right and justice.
Who need that ? maybe the game is a crash-fest the same, but no, u cannot cut a little angle.
If grass grip is enough increased don't need any penalty, u go off track, grip enough to be nothing of advantage.

When I mentioned sticky grass, I was thinking something like.....  2 meters wide from the rumble strip, and your good,  no slow down.  But a car trying to cut massive sections of a track over the grass would find themselves slowed down greatly.  

Just watched a video of someone driving in Autosport on Hokenheim in a touring car, he gets a corner cut penalty on the last left turn of the GP circuit....he only runs 1 side of his car over the kerb, That is going to be annoying.  

Codemasters you may have fixed that, you may not know about it.  Please check it out, Its in the Touring car gameplay video on Youtube.  

For it to be a corner cut, the car need to have actually cut the corner.  not just used a kerb/rumble strip.

The problem with these "slow down" corner cutting penalties is that they cannot tell the difference between time gain and running wide and this seems to be no different in this game.

I know it is a common issue with all the racing games that use it at the moment but hopefully you can turn off individual penalties rather than all or none and I'd just turn the corner cut one off for offline.

I agree with Andi codies you should take this issue seriously and make sure the system knows the difference between time gain and running wide. Clear example happens to me and a lot of my friends on grid 2 all the time where you kick the tail out a little coming out of a corner but still have 3 wheels on the tarmac but still get cut this is hardly an advantage just driver on the limit and should not get a penalised. As you keep saying autosport is fuelled a lot by the community if this is really the case and then the game still gives the same problems as grid 2 for cuts your gonna have a lot of unhappy customers who may not want to purchase future grid games cause of silly errors that affect gameplay massively.

I agree with Andi codies you should take this issue seriously and make sure the system knows the difference between time gain and running wide. Clear example happens to me and a lot of my friends on grid 2 all the time where you kick the tail out a little coming out of a corner but still have 3 wheels on the tarmac but still get cut this is hardly an advantage just driver on the limit and should not get a penalised. As you keep saying autosport is fuelled a lot by the community if this is really the case and then the game still gives the same problems as grid 2 for cuts your gonna have a lot of unhappy customers who may not want to purchase future grid games cause of silly errors that affect gameplay massively.

This is incredibly difficult to do though and very subjective. There are never going to be settings that please everyone.

You are talking about implementing a complete robot judge of the race. And even when it is done many people will not agree with the robot judge. There is a fine line between corner cutting and being pushed off the track.

To me, I think the only thing to do is have a range of options and allow people to switch them on/off for a race.

If you provide these options as a developer it is a good way of crowd sourcing to find the most used options for future games.

I agree a full on robot judge would be to invasive of the end result of a race and when games are under development things are never going to be perfect for an individual racer. Community feedback is really important though, I'm not suggesting that where issues do occur that they try and get the exact effect racers want, just to make the game easier to live with not just for serious racers but all round addressing the issues that to the gamer seem simple for example. The community are the ones that have to live with the game on a day to day basis and when the game is finished we are the judge of your finished result. Yes some things we ask for are a bit difficult and costly to put in the game but overall a lot of what we ask for has been done in the past and makes a game a lot better experience both as a competitive SIM style and fun arcade style. Stay true to the Grid motto ITS ALL ABOUT THE RACE!!!

I have never been a fan of the slow down punishment for all the reason previously stated and favor time penalty, drive through,disqualification, etc......  But until the devs put this as a priority instead on lesser trivial items we are never going to have a sensible system in place.   The key is to encourage clean racing so that while winning is important, how you win is as well.  It's not as hard as people would think it's just a matter of someone doing it.   It's not hard to determine the intent of something.  All the data is there.  I can tell when someone blew a corner and when someone never had any intention of really trying to make the corner cleanly.  If they had a system in place that factored in player input and other things such as contact with another vehicle a decent system could be achieved.  Then if players were ranked on skill and insanely impossible times removed from leader boards, you'd think it would be easier to weed out people who just cheat.

We can only hope, but until then I really hope GAS has private lobbies so that groups of clean racers can race without worrying about idiots