Negotiating the curves with a gamepad?

I'm on a PS4 and new to the F1 2019 game. I find that the gamepad is twitchy and difficult to take the curves with. With no assists I have been braking and down shifting in a straight line and then turning into the curve when I slow down enough. I'm told this is making me slow. Is there a way to turn in while braking and keep from locking up? I have a need for speed!

Thanks.... 

Edited by Cprice440
Add info

8 hours ago, Cprice440 said:

I'm on a PS4 and new to the F1 2019 game. I find that the gamepad is twitchy and difficult to take the curves with. With no assists I have been braking and down shifting in a straight line and then turning into the curve when I slow down enough. I'm told this is making me slow. Is there a way to turn in while braking and keep from locking up? I have a need for speed!

Thanks.... 

Yes it is practise. Breaking in a straight line is the best way. Also check out the setup page here. It’ll make the car feel so different and then you can break later. The majority of turns start breaking at 100m board and then as you get braver you can break later. 

• Agree 3

On 12/15/2019 at 10:18 PM, Cprice440 said:

Thanks.... 

move the brake bias towards the rear, I normally run around 54%