(1.18.1-1.18.2) Game keeps crashing after few minutes of playing

Hi everyone!

Since last patch 1.18.1, which fixed crashes with some graphic cards, the game craches after few minutes. I've never been affected before, so I've to roll back to 1.18. 

I've got a Radeon VII with latest driver installed.

Please, have a look at this codemasters. Thanks!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, EadZ1 said:

Hi everyone!

Since last patch 1.18.1, which fixed crashes with some graphic cards, the game craches after few minutes. I've never been affected before, so I've to roll back to 1.18. 

I've got a Radeon VII with latest driver installed.

Please, have a look at this codemasters. Thanks!

I have already questioned the decision to roll out a hotfix as a mandated game patch on Steam. I am sorry for your situation, but you validated my complaint.

We deserve better patch notes!

I haven't started Steam since the patch was released. 

Hi @EadZ1,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems. 

Did you send the error report? Could you also complete the below:

A short description of the problem:

Game Mode, including if it was Single Player or Multiplayer (Time Trial, Career, Grand Prix, Custom Game etc):

If in Multiplayer, how many players and how many AI?

What happened in the lead up to the problem?

If you get an error message, the exact wording of the error message you're receiving:

Any accessories you are using (wheel, pad, etc):

If you have any videos or screenshots, please share them. If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears:

Hi BarryBL

many thanks for your response!

Of course I sent an error report. Unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot. 😞

The crash appeared while time trial on different tracks. Until the crashes the system was fine, but then rebooted. The Windows event log shows, that the readeonsettings.exe has crashed. This happened in DX11 mode.

While using DX12, the game has just closed, but the system didn't reboot. The GPU clocks falls down to ~570MHz beforce the game crahed. The Windows event log shows also a crash of radeonsettings.exe .

As wheel I use the Logitech G29.

I've tried other games (e. g. F1 2017, F1 2018, War Thunder, Euro Truck Simulator 2, The Division 2) to look up for any problems on my site, but I couldn't detect anything.

Hi @EadZ1,

Which version of the game are you currently using? (Should say a set of numbers in the bottom left of your start screen). 

Can you also provide me a DXDiag too? How to do this is here below:

How to save a DXDiag

In Windows 7:

1. Click on the "Start" Button.
  2. In the Search Box type dxdiag and press <Enter>. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool pop-up window should appear.
  3. Click on “Save all Information.”
  4. Save the information to your Desktop, keep the file name as is.
  5. Send the file to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @ )

In Windows 8, Windows 10:

1. Press the [Windows]+[R] keys on your keyboard to bring up the Run command.
  2. In the "Run" command box, type in dxdiag and press <Enter>. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool pop-up window should appear.
  3. Click on "Save all Information."
  4. Save the information to your Desktop, keep the file name as is.
  5. Send that file to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @ )

Just this information helps me check a few things before I can pass onto the Development team if needed.

Many thanks.

Hi @EadZ1,

Are you running MSI Afterburner? ReLive? Any overlays or anything at all?

We've checked through and your spec from the DXDiag looks like it should.

Hi @EadZ1,

Thanks for the information. 

I've passed this on to our development and quality teams to investigate. Just finally, is the crash happening all the time or rarely?

Just chiming in, i seem to be having the same sorts of troubles, i'm running a new career mode, first f1 race, and after a few minutes it simply crashes. This happens on both dx11 and dx12, i've disabled any overlay i could potentially have running, and am running on a fresh windows installation (re-installed it last week).

Before 1.18.1 all was fine, but now it's simply not playable anymore.

My dxdiag is attached

DxDiag.txt

--small edit

I did disable the shader cache, and still tried dx11 and dx12, did not solve anything

Edited by incapable

@incapable @EadZ1

You are running different versions of LGS, not sure if either are up to date (no longer have Logitech). Use Geek uninstaller to remove LGS, reboot then do a new install with;

ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/gaming/LGS_9.02.65_x64_Logitech.exe

You are both using Corsair K70 RGB Mk2 Gaming Keyboard, please install iCUESetup_3.22.74_release.msi (you'll have to search for Keyboards K70 from the dropdown)

Please check for firmware updates to the keyboard then once updated, UNINSTALL iCUE with Geek uninstaller and restart.

To be sure, please DDU your GPU drivers and reinstall. AMD (Radeon VII) and Nvidia RTX2070 your download is latest 441.41 but please use DCH driver.

@EadZ1 you almost certainly have some kind of driver conflict

Please try the above checks for firmware with VENTUS-R Gaming Software then UNINSTALL with Geek uninstaller and restart.

@incapable

Please try the above checks against G533 headset and G502 mouse with G-HUB then UNINSTALL with Geek uninstaller and restart.

MM800 Polaris should also benefit from any lighting effect removed with removal of iCUE.

Please also both confirm your motherboard make and model so I can double check firmware and drivers for chipset / audio / network drivers.

After updating, please delete hardware_settings_config.xml before restarting game.

• Like 1

@steviejay69

I'm running logitech G-hub at the moment but i will attempt your suggested LGS version later today as i'm still at work.
As i said, i am running on a clean fresh install of windows, running the latest nvidia drivers, which were installed after using DDU to get rid of the windows installed drivers.
The icue i'm running is 3.22.74, and the keyboard firmware is up to date.
I can try the icue uninstaller you suggested, but i expect little of it since it's a completely fresh install.

I will try the DCH driver and see if that makes a difference.

What exactly do you mean with this:

MM800 Polaris should also benefit from any lighting effect removed with removal of iCUE.

Are you suggesting the lighting might be intefering somewhere?

And the motherbord is a Asus prime x370-pro

Edited by incapable
mention

1 minute ago, incapable said:

@steviejay69

I'm running logitech G-hub at the moment but i will attempt your suggested LGS version later today as i'm still at work.
As i said, i am running on a clean fresh install of windows, running the latest nvidia drivers, which were installed after using DDU to get rid of the windows installed drivers.
The icue i'm running is 3.22.74, and the keyboard firmware is up to date.
I can try the icue uninstaller you suggested, but i expect little of it since it's a completely fresh install.

I will try the DCH driver and see if that makes a difference.

What exactly do you mean with this:

Are you suggesting the lighting might be intefering somewhere?

And the motherbord is a Asus prime x370-pro

Yes, other similar software has in the past. With the keyboard one shows a different device ID to the other (yours and EadZ1), that might be firmware.

Yeah if you install iCUE then do any updates to firmware and then uninstall with Geek, it will remove all traces.

I will get back to you ASAP with the mobo updates. 

@incapable

BIOS is updated. 👍

Realtek Audio drivers - (should be DCH - check Device Manage shows Realtek (r) Audio not Realtek HD Audio Controller) device does not appear to be in use, have you disabled it? Only shows the G533 headset as Audio and Recording device.

Can you try testing with the onboard audio only, please? (Remove the headsets USB dongle)

Intel I211 Network Driver

Asmedia USB 3.0 driver (older, but not WU inbox). Gonna sound weird, but can you try the updated wheel in the bracketed USB ports (USB12 or USB34) as they are USB 2.0 ports. The Asmedia controls the USB 3.1 ports, so you probably aren't using those anyway? Remove any USB hubs.

Uninstall existing chipset drivers. Install AMD chipset driver. If the issue persists after a reboot, try the Destiny 2 patch update. (Not sure this will make a difference, but a lot of games are plagued with issues with higher end cards, so roll that dice....)

Seeing as we're leaving no stone unturned - Samsung Magician the 840 Evo had a known firmware bug that impacted performance. Check yours is updated.

I'm not even going to guess which utility supports the OCZ Vertex 4 (I understand why this 2012 SSD is still in your system.....)

Corsair SSD toolbox (CSSDT_1.2.5.7_WIN.zip) to check the NVMe drive for updates (hate this download page shizz that Corsair are blocking hardlinks through....)

@incapable

Guess the hardware ID is different, 'cause I've got the low profile model of Corsairs K70.

The Firmware and LGS are already up to date. I've updated iCUE, the AMD driver (before: 19.11.1 / 19.11.2 / 19.11.3; now 19.12.1) and the Ventus Software. I'll give it a try after work.

Coincidentally, I also use an ASUS mainboard (Prime X470-Pro with latest BIOS 1.0.0.4 patch B and chipset driver).

• Thanks 1

@EadZ1 

So I guess my advice is similar. Uninstall any AURA or AISUITE software for troubleshooting.

The dxdiag shows the 19.11.1 driver version (unless the subsequent updates contain nothing for the Radeon VII, the release notes indicate an ongoing known issue with the card - AMD Radeon VII may experience elevated memory clocks at idle or on desktop)

Yeah same thing, I'm sure you've updated headset firmware but can you try testing without the headset USB dongle attached?

Looks to me like Realtek Audio device also not installed or detected, unless dxdiag is only detecting active devices but then it picks up Display Audio....

Audio as above, Network and ASmedia drivers already updated. 👍

I'm also going to assume you have checked the Corsair NVMe for firmware 😎

Edited by steviejay69

@EadZ1 @incapable

I'm going to change recommendation that you uninstall the Asmedia USB 3.1 drivers and revert to the WU inbox driver.

To do this, if there is an entry in the 'Programs and Features' for Asmedia, uninstall it (or use Geek uninstaller).

If you check Device Manager the entry should read that the Driver Provider: Microsoft and the Driver Version: 10.0.18362.xxx

If it is not, please Uninstall Device and tick the 'Delete the driver software for this device' checkbox and restart.

@steviejay69

Right, so, for the Asmedia one, i haven't installed any drivers myself and it is on the microsoft driver with the version you described. 
As for the usb2 suggestion, i get it, but my motherboard does not have external usb connectors, only an internal one which is not in use.

But i can avoid using the Asmedia ports as a test (i do happen to know which one are controlled by that specific chip)

The ocz vertex 4 does not exactly have a utility if i recall correctly, but yes that one is still in my system as it well, still works.
And to be honest, if that one would suddenly be a problem i'd be extremely suprised.

The onboard audio is indeed not in use, did not disable it in the bios but nothing is plugged in to it at all so yea

For now, corsair icue and all firmware is up to date
The corsair ssd firmware is up to date
The samsung evo 840 is up to date
LGS (LGHUB) is up to date

Will follow up when i try it out with the DCH nvidia drivers anyway.

However, suggesting to remove icue is really a no-go as it controls the cooling in my system as well, and running without it would be quite problematic.
And since icue has not been updated in a week i can't really imagine that being the culprit.

Edited by incapable
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, incapable said:

@steviejay69

Right, so, for the Asmedia one, i haven't installed any drivers myself and it is on the microsoft driver with the version you described. 
As for the usb2 suggestion, i get it, but my motherboard does not have external usb connectors, only an internal one which is not in use.

But i can avoid using the Asmedia ports as a test (i do happen to know which one are controlled by that specific chip)

The ocz vertex 4 does not exactly have a utility if i recall correctly, but yes that one is still in my system as it well, still works.
And to be honest, if that one would suddenly be a problem i'd be extremely suprised.

The onboard audio is indeed not in use, did not disable it in the bios but nothing is plugged in to it at all so yea

For now, corsair icue and all firmware is up to date
The corsair ssd firmware is up to date
The samsung evo 840 is up to date
LGS (LGHUB) is up to date

Will follow up when i try it out with the DCH nvidia drivers anyway.

However, suggesting to remove icue is really a no-go as it controls the cooling in my system as well, and running without it would be quite problematic.
And since icue has not been updated in a week i can't really imagine that being the culprit.

OK so you must have a Corsair WC block then? I agree with you, if it's not been updated lately it's unlikely to be an issue.

All this is just making sure it really is the patch causing the issue and seeing as there are not really any useful patch notes....

@steviejay69

An AIO, but yes, correct.

And I do understand, but there are certain things I cannot run without :)

However! I seem to be having a small matter of success, I've switched over to the Nvidia dch driver and I've this far completed a whole race!

So I think I'm going to monitor this for a bit and let you know if it crashes, if not I'll post it here this weekend :)