Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[IMPROVEMENT] Player driving up to marshalls desk instead of slowmotion stuff after finishing stage.

It is a great feeling to be able to slow the car down and slowly crowl it to the marshalls desk after fighting through a long, demanding stage. Right now finish line means the game takes over and switches to a slowmotion external camera. It is an immersion breaker, and also doesn't let the player to settle down by slowing the car and approaching marschalls desk.
Example: (fast forward to 13m8s)  https://youtu.be/OcwbexpPMAk?t=13m8s

For this to be called a simulation then there needs to be more than menus then jump to driving, really.  Even if your ok with menus, it doesn't quite seem polished when you just end then jump to modern minimalist menus. 

It mabe great! Like real! Also I dreamed about driving on the road sections, but I know that it' isn't necsesary thing

The third option. I wanna be able to do donuts in th...oh wait.  Well, after the time in the series, we've earned something.

you could event go as far as having to drive to the service area afterwards too, when applicable

Yeah, I really liked this part of RBR, I didn't realise that's what was happening the first couple of stages I did, but pulling up at the stop control was very immersive from then on in. This slow motion thing isn't a deal breaker, but it does break the immersion as you say.

This is very important for me. This should be implemented so that like in real life you can make a mistake after finish line. Coming too hot to finish causes problem or maybe having a flat tire after finish is important aspect of what rallying is. Surviving and driving on the edge of your skills. And knowing when not to push.

I remember cases were i have ruined a good rally with making a mistake after finishline in RBR. That happens in real life too in Wrc abd other rallying.

In a perfect world this would include road sections. Surviving those even back to service seems to be hard sometimes (Loeb, Grönholm etc)

Even if this game was not a sim, it should still capture the essiential parts of this lovely sport we call Rallying. One of those essential part is Survival.

I think in this case also Paul and Jon T should make a list of things that makes rallying of what it is really for them and i bet as annoying it might sometimes feel, surviving is one to find on that list.

Very nice idea! This would also mean that the ai won't be crashing the car every other stage. :) 

You actually gain time going flat out over the finish coz you know that the slow mo kick in. You would have to be more careful so you don't wreck after the finish. Agreed.

Well if codemasters where to implement this, i think it would be fitting for the player also to be able to manually drive up to the start line as well. this too would add a lot of immersion to the game
it could just be optional offcourse

Qaspargus said:
Well if codemasters where to implement this, i think it would be fitting for the player also to be able to manually drive up to the start line as well. this too would add a lot of immersion to the game
You mean like they do in MP in DiRT2+3 ?

Qaspargus said:
You mean like they do in MP in DiRT2+3 ?
i don't remember if it was manually done or if the game took control over the vehicle in dirt 2 / 3, if it's the former then yes. i doesn't necessarily have to include sequential starting like it is in dirt 2 / 3 though    

Like the idea, as long the distance between finish line an STOP is bigger than it is right now in the cutting slow-mo part, give us at least 300m to stop :D

This is actually one of the things i have been thinking would be awesome.
I know one rally driver who's event ended only after the stage when someone stopped to close to the finish line and he just smashed straight into them.
Maybe making it an option so those who just want to race can get on with it (make it increase you bonus like some other options?).
In my ideal world you would also drive between stages but that is way to hard and not needed.

I´m o this.

even if only to avoid possible crashes when car is in "auto" driving.

It happened to me many times. Car has crossed the line and IA managed to crash the car into something. Later, that damage taken was carried to the next stage.. wtf...

Maybe a similar thing for the start as well? Start from the TC and drive slowly to the start line for the countdown.
@KickUp is this possible or are there any problems with current engine limitations or something?

Definitely. Since DiRT Rally is aspiring to be a simulator it should simulate rally regulations. The end of a special stage is on the stop finish rather than the flying finish. BUT! The distance between the flying finish and the stop finish needs to be longer!

Good idea. Sg to similar was in Richard burns Rally!

I know that would be too much work to make longer stage, so one tip:  that would be better to leave slow-mo flying finish and the car could slow down with downshitting...

bogani said:
You actually gain time going flat out over the finish coz you know that the slow mo kick in. You would have to be more careful so you don't wreck after the finish. Agreed.
Yes, this ^^^  

I have finished Stages on my roof-skin before, which should actually end my event.  Talk about 'Flying Finish!!  lol

It would be pretty awesome if the marshals were pushed a bit further down the road to give us more of a manual slowdown at the end of stages; I'd love it! 

Look at 3:10 the driver slow down his car after the finish line. Then the driver and co-driver talk about their stage time which can be different in case of the result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO60wPJZLG8
Also check before start - they communicate each other AS TEAM MEMBERS. This is also missing from Dirt Rally a lot.