Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×

The Worst Formula 1 game you played

Decided to post a new topic, a squeal to the other topics I have done. So same rules apply, can be any Formula 1 game on any system from any developer out there. What was the one Formula One game you have played that was really bad in your opinion. 

For me it was F1 World Grand Prix by Eidos 

A game that I could never work out, cause it went for realistic handing with a game pad on the Playstation. 

• Like 1

I'll probably get some heat for this, but I only played this game years after the released, so I was forced to compare it to modern F1 games.

For me, it's F1CE, which is the only non-Codies F1 game I've played. Some things I remember from my head as it's been some years at this point that I've touched that game.

• The required test drive times (at least sometimes) quicker than AI's qualifying times
  • No proper controller customization, only some controller mapping changes
  • No way to change FFB (as far as I remember)
  • Penalties just slow you dangerously for some seconds. The AI will also slow down to halt
  • You cannot change the difficulty in career, so you're forced to start a new one every time

I could probably get around most of those issues that I've listed here as long as I could modify the controller mapping, or use my wheel properly.

Normally I like to look at things from a postive side, and not highlight the bad parts. I have been playing ever since the GP series from Geoff Grammond and I have seen them all. Comparing over the years is difficult because things that are now possible weren't available 15 years ago and could have made a game in those days so much better. One game however that I experienced the worst was F1 2014. Can't really name specific items I disliked, just because F1 2013 was great to play it's succesor was terrible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

For me and a lot of others is or rather F12019 ,

had a huge bright future and was the best F1 so far ,

the rest is history, F12019 sunk faster then the titanic, 

shame really . It still could have been generating decent cash sales , 

it's not about negative or positive,. It's black and white,

i bought an f1 game for sim users and leagues and wheel users ,

but in truthfulness the game code was altered to sell to 3 year olds ,

i wonder if they are allowed on a ps4 , or own a sponsored fanatic wheel , or able to run and host leagues ( that's 3 year olds 🚥🏎🏁🎮 🙈

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

My "top" 3:

• F1 Career Challenge (PS2, XBOX only, 2003): great concept, 4 season in a game, but the gampelay is game breaking. It's incredibile that its PC porting is still the best F1 game ever for me
  • F1 Grand Prix (PSP, 2005): the only positive thing about this game is that it was the first F1 for PSP. The game itself is trash
  • F1 2009 (PSP - never tried the Wii version so i'll judge only the PSP one - , 2009): too much arcade, compared to F1 2006 by Sony (best F1 game for PSP ever) is way worse

F1 2017 euhm 2019!

sorry both the same. Same errors, same stupid AI in multiplayer, and so on. Graphics are abysmal, 4K and can see pixels everywhere in the cockpit. 

so both of them.

• Agree 2

Nigel Mansell Grand Prix. Bug was you couldn't qualify for Portugal. So season over lol. Circa 1986ish. 🙏👍😂

over the last 25 years of playing F1 games i would go with the PS one games F1 1997 , 98 , 99 they were awful as hell(sound and gameplay)...but they had original HUD.

for the newest generation I go with F1 2017 and 2019 like AlexTT said:

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 4:00 PM, AlexTT said:

Same errors, same stupid AI in multiplayer, and so on.

I am still "Grand Prix" Fan. Started back in 96 with GP2.

Gotta point out that F1 2015 was late and extremely underwhelming. (It even had a cackling F1 2014 throwback enclosed in it's belly.)

Gotta say it's f1 2019. 

Never before played a game that was so ridden with bugs and crashes so often for so many people as this one. 
Adding 2 f2 seasons and a lot of paid cosmetics while proving unable to deliver a stable game that fits tires you actually requested also shows wrong priorities. 

Codemasters has turned into a cash-grabbing and greedy company and all that would be fine if the game was actually decent. 
Which it is when it works. Which is does only on very special occasion.

Let's hope for the next one they actually work on improving the core of the game and making sure it all functions as it should before adding unnecessary and poorly implemented stuff. 

(small shoutout to the fact that in the F2 races you CANNOT select tires and the whole field will spawn on random tires and there's nothing you can do to stop the game from putting you on the hards in the sprint races, it's hilarious.) 

The Grand Prix series always set the bar for me in the early days....grand prix 2 was just way ahead of its time, and the hours I spent playing on that....

So all other f1 games around that time just looked amateur in comparison - one of the worst I remember was Power F1 around 1997. The other PS games F11996,1997, 1998 etc were pretty bad in comparison again to GP2 which was about 5 years older (although they did have Murray Walker so that saved it sort of!). The wii F2009 game also left a lot be desired - full distance races the AI just slowed down and you would win by a lap, graphics awful but did enjoy using the wii wheel.

People do moan about the current batch of F1 games from codies and yes they have their flaws but when you look back on some of the offering we used to have we are a bit spoilt now....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nige05uk said:

The Grand Prix series always set the bar for me in the early days....grand prix 2 was just way ahead of its time, and the hours I spent playing on that....

So all other f1 games around that time just looked amateur in comparison - one of the worst I remember was Power F1 around 1997. The other PS games F11996,1997, 1998 etc were pretty bad in comparison again to GP2 which was about 5 years older (although they did have Murray Walker so that saved it sort of!). The wii F2009 game also left a lot be desired - full distance races the AI just slowed down and you would win by a lap, graphics awful but did enjoy using the wii wheel.

People do moan about the current batch of F1 games from codies and yes they have their flaws but when you look back on some of the offering we used to have we are a bit spoilt now....

They try to do official e-sports with a game that crashes and can't manage to let the lights go out at the same time for everyone. of course people are gonna moan. 
Of course it is a 'better game' than microprose GP2 but that game didn't CRASH all the time and at least delivered what it promised. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bicarda said:

They try to do official e-sports with a game that crashes and can't manage to let the lights go out at the same time for everyone. of course people are gonna moan. 
Of course it is a 'better game' than microprose GP2 but that game didn't CRASH all the time and at least delivered what it promised. 

Let's not forget Esports with a Tcam Which is just as realistic as me winning the lottery🤣

just can't bear to watch it when they do it like that. Like I always say, a driver sits in the COCKPIT, not on his Halo. So when you want official Esports, make it as official and realistic as possible, and make cockpit cam mandatory,

I'll bet most of the laptimes plummet by 1 to 2 seconds. 

however it would be funny as hell to see actual f1 races with the drivers sitting on their Halo🤣

Edited by AlexTT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1

This one's pretty awful:

And this:

This takes the biscuit though:

Although this broken effort is pretty close:

Like I always say, a driver sits in the COCKPIT, not on his Halo. So when you want official Esports, make it as official and realistic as possible, and make cockpit cam mandatory,

I sign that! just total cockpit view is the real deal, you can sit on the Halo when you watch the replay.

The worst for me:

Tough to say, I am also in this line since GP2....hmm I would go with Official Formula One Racing  from Eidos - this game was a mess.

The most time I spent in was GP3 I would say, with all the mods and stuff, loading 100mb livery updates with the ISDN over night 😄 and happy next day that you can use the actual season liveries.

I like F1 2019 by the way!

On 3/16/2020 at 2:09 PM, AlexTT said:

Let's not forget Esports with a Tcam Which is just as realistic as me winning the lottery🤣

just can't bear to watch it when they do it like that. Like I always say, a driver sits in the COCKPIT, not on his Halo. So when you want official Esports, make it as official and realistic as possible, and make cockpit cam mandatory,

I'll bet most of the laptimes plummet by 1 to 2 seconds. 

however it would be funny as hell to see actual f1 races with the drivers sitting on their Halo🤣

That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

In racing, no matter if digital or in the real world, a good driver always strives to be the very best using the tools he has.
If the game offers me the option to be a better driver, I will use it and I proudly use t-cam. I always did.

If you choose to not use an available aid that has the potential to make you better, you are artificially limiting yourself.
Lando Norris participated in an e-sports race last Sunday, they were playing F1 2019. Someone asked him why he uses the t-cam, and he simply answered: 'Because it is faster'.
To me, he basically sainted the use of t-cam that day, and I will continue to use it, no matter what. Also: Is only a gaem, so take it easy!

Back to topic.
Without a doubt: F1 2015.

That shiz was horrible, nothing worked and it was very small in terms of content. An absolute scam of a game. 

On 3/17/2020 at 3:21 PM, LSKone said:

Back to topic.
Without a doubt: F1 2015.

That shiz was horrible, nothing worked and it was very small in terms of content. An absolute scam of a game. 

I quite enjoyed it, to be honest. I spend most of my time in any year's game doing quick races anyway, so I wasn't bothered about the lack of game modes.

1 hour ago, scottishwildcat said:

I quite enjoyed it, to be honest. I spend most of my time in any year's game doing quick races anyway, so I wasn't bothered about the lack of game modes.

Hey, nothing wrong with that mate!