"Do You Feel Like I Do?"

I have had the flu for 3 days now. Played a little F1 2019 this evening. I love this game, it is almost the only one I play. At the same time I HATE THIS GAME. I suck at it and I have sat and played for hours on end, so please don't suggest that I give myself carpal tunnel and PRACTICE more. I'm trying to play with no assists, but I'm not much faster with them. I have ran time trial laps around Australia so many times I feel like I was on the paving crew. A few of the track personnel and I are on a first name basis. The fastest I've gotten with assists is a 1:25.?. The fastest without 1:26.6 I think. I could'nt find 6 more seconds if I ran in to it on the middle of the track. Brake too late and I lockup the wheels and hop on the bullet train right off the track. Get on the throttle a bit too heavy out of a curve and I'm on the whirling derby right into the wall. I'm always on the edge of losing it. I can't push any harder. Slow down enough to not lockup and I lose so much time I'd need to book a flight to the west coast to find it. For those of you that don't get that one, I'm in the USA cst 2 hours ahead of the west coast. I can't quit playing, but I hate this game. I feel better after typing this and that should last until I pick up the cotroller again. It's sitting there now, on its little table, just learing at me. So, in the immortal words of Peter Framton, "Do You Feel Like I Do?" Leave me a 👍 if you do. Misery loves company.

3 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

How many hours did you play in total, just to give me an idea?

My guess this last time is 5hrs at least. I posted this as a joke, but it really does get to you. You see green through your first 3 corners only to run over a curb a bit too much, losing the back end and spinning into a wall. There was someone posted because they were upset about the setup adjustments not doing anything. Said Codemasters had made an arcade game for 3 year olds. I don't doubt a 3yr old could beat me. Admittedly I have not finished a whole career season yet, but I have probably ran a whole total season's worth of laps around Australia and then some. I'm in a Haas by the way and only have a few setups developed for about 4 tracks. Was going to join an online league. They said not to bother unless you had been playing career mode with AI setting at 80 minimum. 😕 I have cranked mine up to 90. We will see how long it takes me to get fired.

I hear you, but to be honest if you don’t have former experience with F1 games you need to get some more hours behind you to get the feeling. It can be very helpful to watch some video’s and see how “the cracks” are negotiating tracks, corners and setups. I have to agree that the setups do not really represent actual setups and respond accordingly. But then again, you can’t expect a three year old to understand that 😉

Regarding leagues, there are some who don’t care what level you are or even better organise games suited to your level. Can’t set you in the right direction but maybe someone here can help you out.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, 1512marcel said:

I hear you, but to be honest if you don’t have former experience with F1 games you need to get some more hours behind you to get the feeling. It can be very helpful to watch some video’s and see how “the cracks” are negotiating tracks, corners and setups. I have to agree that the setups do not really represent actual setups and respond accordingly. But then again, you can’t expect a three year old to understand that 😉

Regarding leagues, there are some who don’t care what level you are or even better organise games suited to your level. Can’t set you in the right direction but maybe someone here can help you out.

Thanks man!

Sometimes practicing for hours can be counter productive and frustrating. I find the easiest way to learn tracks is first to know them like the back of your hand. Easy way to do this is just setup a full length race with ai low so 50 and drive them 70 laps or so. Just follow the lines of the cars in front and eventually when you get more confident practice passing them. Once you know the track itself get on YouTube and watch some pole laps from pro drivers during real life qualifying sessions. This part is the most useful as you can observe braking, turn in and acceleration plus the incredibly useful gear shifts they use (I bet you change down lose than they do.. I did!). 

Eventually you will improve until you are at your best average and then will have good days and bad days but a lot more fun. Yes, like Marcel said, don't worry about the setups as they are so unrealistic they can actually teach you bad habits (for bad habits watch YouTube gamers cheat the system!) 

It doesn't help that the 2019 F1 game has poor handling relative to real life and other recent F1 games. I'd recommend picking up 2018 or 2017 while you practice as cornering is so much easier (and fun!) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I feel you bro. 

There are times when I feel i've reached my peak and can't get any faster but be persistent. 

You may actually be improving way more than you realise. You won't really notice improving by the 1/2 tenths a lap over a few hours, but when those hours go back months and you look back what your time was then, then you might find that you're way faster than before. 

I've started to keep track of my fastest times and can tell you in 3 months i've took 6 seconds off Monaco. Barely notice any improvement at the time though.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, PistoPete555 said:

I feel you bro. 

There are times when I feel i've reached my peak and can't get any faster but be persistent. 

You may actually be improving way more than you realise. You won't really notice improving by the 1/2 tenths a lap over a few hours, but when those hours go back months and you look back what your time was then, then you might find that you're way faster than before. 

I've started to keep track of my fastest times and can tell you in 3 months i've took 6 seconds off Monaco. Barely notice any improvement at the time though.

Good points, there is a level you reach where you just can't seem to go faster when judged by lap times. Except lap times are just mini sprints not marathon concentration of effort. You don't get a trophy for being in pole position only if you finish the race on the podium. So make a note of your total race time. THAT'S the more accurate marker of your skills. 3 great laps and 65 ok ones don't win races. 68 GOOD laps win races!

🏎️👍😎

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The people here already gave a lot of great advice, but if you want to hear mine as well: never, ever, use a wireless controller. If you're using one right now, throw it in the bin and go buy a more serious one.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, D4rio said:

The people here already gave a lot of great advice, but if you want to hear mine as well: never, ever, use a wireless controller. If you're using one right now, throw it in the bin and go buy a more serious one.

Good points, I agree, from all. I am using a wireless PS4 controller. So by "more serious" do you mean wired? Is there a lag to the wireless controllers that affects the handling of the car?

On 1/3/2020 at 12:11 PM, Cprice440 said:

Good points, I agree, from all. I am using a wireless PS4 controller. So by "more serious" do you mean wired? Is there a lag to the wireless controllers that affects the handling of the car?

Sorry for the delayed answer, but the lag is only one of the issues. Wireless controllers are way more imprecise and can give a sort of false feedback due to the input lag. They also weigh much more because of the batteries. And regarding batteries, having them die out right during a game is probably the worst feeling in the world. All in all, If you are on pc it just makes no sense to use a wireless controller.

Edited by D4rio