Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[GAME MODE] Endurance/Longer Rally Stages

First of all i'd just like to say that i'm so glad that Codemasters are bringing back pure Rally to the series, something that i've missed since the early Colin McRae series for the PS2, i was a big fan of those games. My suggestion is for longer rally stages or even point to point endurance races, now from a technical standpoint i realize that something like this could be problematic, especially for loading times and processing power etc. I'm not sure of the details of how this could be done, but perhaps stages could be randomly generated from a set of parameters input by the player (such as length, surfaces, weather, difficulty) and then the track would be mapped out. Dependent on the length, stages could take ten minutes to 45 minutes, meaning the player would have to play it safe and at the end, the fastest time wins, penalties would be added for coming off track, resets and such but also limited in-race repairs could be made which would contribute to the time, so replacing a burst tire would cost a little bit of time. This could be implemented in career or an opt-in kind of thing so people short on time can enjoy the game too, i'm not too sure how it would work over multiplayer as multiple people on the same track could cause havoc, and a ghost car/non-collision mechanic could break immersion for some. I seriously hope you consider this feature.

Longer stages are always awesome. I don't know what it would cost in terms of development time, but man, I'd be lying if I said I didn't fantasise about driving some of those half-hour stages you see WRC pop up onboards of.

As for the randomly generated stages, that would be a cool idea, but I'm not sure how long such a system would take to develop. I remember International Rally Championship had a stage generator like that, though. Loads of fun.

As for the randomly generated stages, that would be a cool idea, but I'm not sure how long such a system would take to develop. I remember International Rally Championship had a stage generator like that, though. Loads of fun.
I had a game called V-Rally 2 for the PS1 that had a very simple track editor, it was just a wireframe representation of your track and you could pick the incline and bank of your corners and such, it was pretty fun.