Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

How do I get faster?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I got Dirt Rally 2.0 for Christmas but I'm struggling with it. FYI - I play with a controller and will not be buying a wheel.

I really enjoyed Dirt Rally and thought I was half-decent at it. I came 7th on Masters in career mode driving a Lancia Delta S4, after driving the same car on Elite and would usually come halfway in daily and weekly challenges, so I didn't think of myself as a beginner at these games. 

I struggled with Dirt Rally at first, but after changing the input settings, I got better and learned how to control the cars and finish stages without crashing.

After playing Dirt Rally 2.0 for a little while, I was surprised to find that I'm not very good at it! I made a few adjustments to the input settings and the cars feel fine to drive, but I'm finishing between 18th and 20th on Very Easy.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, which is worrying because I don't know what to change!

Could someone please help me?

 

Edited by WestHam66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're on gamepad I know PJ made a controller guide to get the settings right for xbox pads at least. might be worth checking out - 

 

Other than that though, your biggest challenge with 2.0 will be how much more weight the cars all feel like they have. Momentum is a serious thing in 2.0 so your braking line will be different from DR1 and you need to focus on the weight shifting. Other than that, just focus on clean runs, your old speed will come back to you quickly if you stay clean.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow down. 

Slow is smooth. 

Smooth is fast.

 

Seriously, whenever I think I drove the stage like a grandmother, those are my fastest times.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely agree, and It'd be a nice little sentence as a signature in the profile here on the forums: 'Sometimes you have to slow down to go a little faster.'

Edited by richie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

If you're on gamepad I know PJ made a controller guide to get the settings right for xbox pads at least. might be worth checking out - 

 

Other than that though, your biggest challenge with 2.0 will be how much more weight the cars all feel like they have. Momentum is a serious thing in 2.0 so your braking line will be different from DR1 and you need to focus on the weight shifting. Other than that, just focus on clean runs, your old speed will come back to you quickly if you stay clean.

 

How do I shift the weight effectively? I didn't have to worry too much about it in DR, so I have no idea how to actually do it! 

Also, what needs to be different about my braking line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@WestHam66 what it really comes down to is just being aware of how the cars generate power/grip and actively thinking about it mid-corner. There is no one-size-fits-all here. TL;DR - shifting weight forwards/backwards left/right heavily impacts the power/grip you can generate.

For FWD cars you have to think about how all of the power is generated at the front, how the body rolls dramatically at the rear when off throttle, and how the car will oversteer hard initially when you throw it into a slide but then massively understeer once the power starts getting down.

Fow RWD you have to think about how the car's body reacts when you're on/off throttle. When you're putting power down, the car will "lean" back onto the rear wheels making the front much less efficient - so you need to Left Foot Brake mildly while mid-corner if you are trying to turn in further so the car balances back out to a neutral position giving the front tires more grip.

With any drivetrain you have to be very aware of how your momentum will carry you through a corner. Just because you threw the car 90° sideways with the throttle floored in an R5 Fiesta, don't expect ALL of your velocity to be generated in that new direction. The wheels might be generating power in that direction, but the car still has to do something with all of that other momentum - either lose it by slowing down, or redirect it.

The momentum and weight isn't just some solid object either in game. Your entire car doesn't have the same weight/momentum during a corner as the rest of the car at any given time. Bumps, cambers, surface terrain, all can change how one portion of the car is acting and you need to be feeling for that.

When you go to do a Scandinavian flick, really focus on trying to feel the back end swing around. Really try and feel what you can adjust for inputs to change how quickly your flick can be done; try a long and smooth flick and then do a really tight and quick one. Try to pay attention to how much reaction you get from all of your inputs (steering/brake/throttle) during the entire movement. You should feel moments where the steering gets heavier, then lighter, then heavier again as the whole weight shifts from one side to the other and you "float" a bit right at the midpoint. Pay attention to how much the throttle can do to actually push you through a slide during a big open exit vs when you're heavy on the brakes where the corner tightens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Left foot braking is key, into and through corners always remember to brake and balance the car by blipping/holding the throttle open where necessary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

I play with a controller and will not be buying a wheel.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, which is worrying because I don't know what to change!

Could someone please help me?

 

Maybe consider getting a wheel, I highly recommend it, it'll be a game changer. Just recently the Logitech G29/G920 + shifter was €150, which is a crazy price, so keep an eye on these offers. 

I find it difficult to give advice because it's not clear why you're struggling. In general I'd say: Practice, practice, practice. What also helps is watching faster people and see how they drive, what they do and try to replicate that. Don't push too much, take it easy and start pushing more as you get more confidence and comfortable with the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matt555 said:

Left foot braking is key, into and through corners always remember to brake and balance the car by blipping/holding the throttle open where necessary 

Okay, thanks.

I was so used to not having to do that too much in DR that I'm struggling to get out of that habit. 

I did a two stage custom championship in Argentina on Very Easy and won. I went slow and didn't make a mistake. I then did two stages in Poland, going slow and not making mistakes, but I was 17th of 20!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a lot have said already, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. I had to really dig in and apply this advice to start really enjoying the game and it has helped immensely. 

Also, learn how to control and balance the car with braking and accelerator more than with the steering. It's better to go slower into a bend to set up a clean and fast exit. 

Beyond that it's just practice; lots and lots of practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i do the opposite from the slow and smooth approach. go flat out and go fast or burn...:classic_biggrin:

not everyone will agree with this approach but its a game. you wont die. you will also find your limits faster like this than gradually building up to it. no one way is right. what is true is practice practice practice. most of the dirt games is just that. then if you are skilled enough you will then progress push past into the top percentage of players. takes a little time but its a enjoyable ride along the way. with plenty of swear words ! :classic_laugh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy's asking for advice because he doesn't know what he's doing wrong and you guys are like: JUST FLOOR IT!  :classic_laugh:  

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not think it is very easy without having a proportional controller (like steering wheel or RC car pistol type controller). The problem is how to get not full throttle or steering at once with discrete bottom controller (console controller or keyboard). Though there is one method that can be used - control car with impulses. The frequency you press the bottom is the grade of control you get where press and hold is 100%. Such method gives much better control over the car. Though with discrete controller you most likely have to use assists and automatic gear, you have a benefit that you may get 100% control almost instantly from one side to another.

At least with older Dirt 3 I was much faster when using keyboard + assists + chase camera, then I am even now in DR2 with steering wheel with FFB + no assists + dashboard camera. Of cause, the second case is much more immersive and that skill are more useful in real life (especially on Quebec slippery winter roads).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

I did a two stage custom championship in Argentina on Very Easy and won. I went slow and didn't make a mistake. I then did two stages in Poland, going slow and not making mistakes, but I was 17th of 20!

I think I was/am pretty good at DR and have set some decent times in DR2.0, but I still struggle to challenge the AI in Poland! 

I am a controller player (PS4) and I think disabling the assists is worth doing as early as you can: you might struggle, but once you have got the hang of driving without assists you'll be setting your fastest times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richie said:

The guy's asking for advice because he doesn't know what he's doing wrong and you guys are like: JUST FLOOR IT!  :classic_laugh:  

hey, this is a misrepresentation of what I said!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tigron said:

I do not think it is very easy without having a proportional controller (like steering wheel or RC car pistol type controller). The problem is how to get not full throttle or steering at once with discrete bottom controller (console controller or keyboard). Though there is one method that can be used - control car with impulses. The frequency you press the bottom is the grade of control you get where press and hold is 100%. Such method gives much better control over the car. Though with discrete controller you most likely have to use assists and automatic gear, you have a benefit that you may get 100% control almost instantly from one side to another.

At least with older Dirt 3 I was much faster when using keyboard + assists + chase camera, then I am even now in DR2 with steering wheel with FFB + no assists + dashboard camera. Of cause, the second case is much more immersive and that skill are more useful in real life (especially on Quebec slippery winter roads).

By 'impulses' I assume you mean pressing the triggers, then releasing, then pressing?

I've started doing that and I'm seeing the benefits, but DR2 seems to require less pressure than DR, which is something i'll just have to get used to. If only the game had a throttle sensitivity setting, or the triggers were harder to press to get to 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WestHam66 said:

If only the game had a throttle sensitivity setting

There should be an option for 'linearity' which is exactly that - it changes the sensitivity of the throttle and can shift it to the end so you have more "play" room in the beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

There should be an option for 'linearity' which is exactly that - it changes the sensitivity of the throttle and can shift it to the end so you have more "play" room in the beginning.

There is only saturation and deadzone settings for throttle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

By 'impulses' I assume you mean pressing the triggers, then releasing, then pressing?

Exactly!

10 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

There is only saturation and deadzone settings for throttle

Possibly hard coded setup for particular controller. How simple things are hard on consoles! 😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×