DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

[BUG] ERS issue (With and without ABS) + Deployrate Silverstone

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

four weeks ago we had leagueracing in Silverstone and it seems we found a Bug concerning ERS-Recovery in difference between using ABS or not and the deploymentmode in Silverstone.

Using same settings, Cars equal (me McLaren, him Ferrari), hard tires, ERS and Fuel mode...my friend using ABS and a pad constantly lost less ERS than me (or recovered more?)
After 1. Lap (86% to 95%) --> 2. Lap: (81% vs. 89%) Gap Remains at about 8% to 12% afterwards.

Secondly the ERS-Mode medium has to be redone in Silverstone. It is NOT possible to end a lap with the same amount of energy. The lossrate overall is about 8% a lap.
When we raced the 100% round there, it was a mess of recharging, recharging and recharing ERS throughout the whole race.

• A short description of the problem:  Driving behind another (3 sec gap) with full of fuel. Cars on equal, drove ERS medium and fuel standard, hard tires. ERS overall after the firstlap: Me: 86%, Friend: 95%, next lap: Me: 81%, him 89%. Afters those laps the difference in ERS Load overalle remain between 8% and 12%. Why is that so? We changed position and redone the stint. Same outcoming. It got even worse for me on the medium tire --> after 7 Laps --> Me: 26% ERS, Friend: 45% --> Again all settings identical, ERS medium, Fuel standard. --> So the question: Can it be that when using ABS (and PAD?) and slamming the breakes a car recovers more ERS, than using no ABS (and a wheel?)
  • Platform you’re on (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Steam): both Steam (PC)
  • Game Version (Shown on the Start screen in the bottom left hand corner): 1.18.1
  • Game Mode, including if it was Single Player or Multiplayer (Time Trial, Career, Grand Prix, Custom Game etc): Custom lobby - FP 90:00 minutes
  • If in Multiplayer, how many players and how many AI?: 3 Players, no AI
  • What happened in the lead up to the problem?:
  • If you get an error message, the exact wording of the error message you're receiving: negativ
  • Any accessories you are using (wheel, pad, etc): Me: Using T300 + T3PA Pro Wheel, Friend: PAD
  • If you have any videos or screenshots, please share them. If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears: Didn´t took images.

@Bojan@SilentPain92@wh15

Edited by Far1an
  • Like 1

Hi @Far1an

I'm just doing a little investigating myself on this to see the results. From my experience (without testing anything), ABS off would have a slight difference as the potential for lock-ups is there. Also, do you both run identical setups? A very high brake pressure setting could be a factor too.

Just now, BarryBL said:

Hi @Far1an

I'm just doing a little investigating myself on this to see the results. From my experience (without testing anything), ABS off would have a slight difference as the potential for lock-ups is there. Also, do you both run identical setups? A very high brake pressure setting could be a factor too.

Break pressure was 82% vs. 89%
Setups almost identical (wing: 3/6 vs. 3/5)

The difference kind of expectable ...trailbreaking vs. hard on, hard off
But 20% ERS difference after 6 laps seems a bit too much, or @BarryBl ?

HI @Far1an

20% difference after 6 laps does seem a little excessive. I'm just running a few tests now, so I'll get back to you on my findings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Very good Barry!

Wonderful that you / Codemasters now react quickly to problems

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

have tested

route bahrain

GP mode 3 rounds

setup same

fuel standard

ers 3

with abs
after 1 round 70% ers
after round 2 38% ers
after round 3 9% ers

without abs

round 1 71% ers
round 2 38% ers
round 3 6% ers

you have to note that the first lap was not exactly the same because of the traffic

Result

slight benefits for abs drivers

these could be even bigger if a good abs driver drives, because he can brake even further into the corners than I can

Edited by LILLHELM

Thanks @LILLHELM,

From your findings, there is very minimal change in ERS use in laps 1 & 2. Did anything happen in Lap 3 at all?

My pad feedback was:

Haas, Baku, Season 1 spec cars:

ABS on- Lap 1- 79%

ABS off- Lap 1- 77%

ABS off, TCS off- 76%

ABS on, TCS off- 77%

So, in my opinion, minimal variance. The small differences there could be explained by braking at the right time in one corner, such is how small the difference is. Will get something on a wheel this week.

2 hours ago, BarryBL said:

My pad feedback was:

Haas, Baku, Season 1 spec cars:

ABS on- Lap 1- 79% 

ABS off- Lap 1- 77%

ABS off, TCS off- 76%

ABS on, TCS off- 77%

So, in my opinion, minimal variance. The small differences there could be explained by braking at the right time in one corner, such is how small the difference is. Will get something on a wheel this week. 

Thanks for your feedback, but please test it in Silverstone.

On all tracks concerning the racecalender until Silverstone I agree that the difference is mostly little, but as your tests showes always a bit pro ABS.

Hi @Far1an,

Update from Silverstone (2 laps, High ERS, standard Fuel, Hard Tyres, Red Bull):

Run 1- ABS and TCS on- Remaining L1: 49%, L2: 8%

Run 2- ABS off and TCS on- Remaining: L1: 51%, L2: 8%

Run 3- ABS on and TCS off- Remaining: L1: 57%, L2: 16%

Run 4- ABS and TCS off- Remaining: L1- 60%, L2: 22%

These are all of my current pad findings. These results want me to ask the question on Traction Control, and if you and your friend are running the same settings. Can you confirm? TCS would dictate how quickly you can apply the throttle and would, in theory, affect ERS usage as you are being more cautious in how you apply the throttle and, in turn, the ERS

4 hours ago, BarryBL said:

From your findings, there is very minimal change in ERS use in laps 1 & 2. Did anything happen in Lap 3 at all?

3% difference after round 3

Hi everyone,

Another update, wheel results from Silverstone: 

2 laps, High ERS, standard Fuel, Hard Tyres, Red Bull):

Run 1- ABS and TCS on- Remaining L1: 54%, L2: 8%

Run 2- ABS off and TCS on- Remaining: L1: 54%, L2: 8%

Run 3- ABS on and TCS off- Remaining: L1: 61%, L2: 24%

Run 4- ABS and TCS off- Remaining: L1- 60%, L2: 21%

So, from my findings, its looks as it wheel has an ERS advantage. This would, in theory, make sense as you naturally have to be lighter on the pedals with your feet than you do with your thumbs on the pad. Also, with more variables, you have to be a little more conservative with your applications of the brake and the throttle throughout the lap to even stay on the track let alone get a competitive time. (FYI my times were around the same throughout)

8 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

Another update, wheel results from Silverstone: 

2 laps, High ERS, standard Fuel, Hard Tyres, Red Bull):

Run 1- ABS and TCS on- Remaining L1: 54%, L2: 8%

Run 2- ABS off and TCS on- Remaining: L1: 54%, L2: 8%

Run 3- ABS on and TCS off- Remaining: L1: 61%, L2: 24%

Run 4- ABS and TCS off- Remaining: L1- 60%, L2: 21%

So, from my findings, its looks as it wheel has an ERS advantage. This would, in theory, make sense as you naturally have to be lighter on the pedals with your feet than you do with your thumbs on the pad. Also, with more variables, you have to be a little more conservative with your applications of the brake and the throttle throughout the lap to even stay on the track let alone get a competitive time. (FYI my times were around the same throughout)

Will also do some testing at the weekend with screenshots.

Maybe I´m hunting a ghost here. 😞

Hi @Far1an, not at all. It's worth the test, if you are seeing 20% difference, then its 100% worth an investigation. Did you/your friend run with TCS (even in Medium) at any point?

@BarryBL finally talked to him. So he had TCS off and ABS on.

What´s about the second point on this issue. The Deployrate ERS on "medium" is to high. In my mind..using this mode the ERS should be around the same at the end of the lap.

In Britian this is not the case as your tries showed, even though you used "high" deploy.

Is this something to change?

Hi @Far1an

So from your feedback, it looks like he has the setup that produced my most efficient results. 

For the second issue, it can come down to a few things. Silverstone is a circuit with a lot of time spent on full throttle and not too many heavy braking zones for the ERS to recover. In theory, I would expect the 'Medium' ERS usage to be a little higher, due to the nature of the circuit. If you compare it with somewhere like Singapore and Monaco for example (very stop/start, lots of heavy braking zones, few major straights), the ERS usage would be higher in the same modes.

Hey @BarryBL,

good to know, have not thought it would make such a difference.

Second issue:
To make my mindset a bit clearer.  I thought these 5 ERS profils are balanced for each track individualy. If it is balanced for each track it would make sence decreasing the deployrate of ERS in Britain so that the loss of energy overall is not that high. It is really hard to manage in a 100% race. You have to change the ERS at least 8 times/lap for not running out on energy, constantly.

Monaco and Singapore this is clear to me.

I guess my question was: Are the ERS-modes balanced for each track or are they balanced over all tracks of the calender?