Jump to content

GRID 2019 And How To Fix It.

Recommended Posts

With public lobbies returning this month, these are the next steps for Codemasters to take to regain the trust of the community.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Perfection! This should be a road map Codemasters need to follow to bring this game back.

Thanks, I really hope CM takes the necessary steps to fix things. They have all the right components to take GRID to the next level, just seem to lack proper guidance it would seem.

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Omiley said:

Thanks, I really hope CM takes the necessary steps to fix things. They have all the right components to take GRID to the next level, just seem to lack proper guidance it would seem.

There is a minor thing about the tracks, I think it should be just an option to toggle standard / reverse (as removing it all together would be a bit extreme). I also don't think custom liveries would not do much, as it could only force Codemasters to censor some of the community art (like Adult content and Curse words). Maybe add options for color (Metallic, Matte, Pearlescent, and Iridescent,) would help fill the gap a little bit. I do agree with balancing the class and increasing the tracks per season. There is more stuff I would add too, Like Endurance to consoles and the ability to save my custom championships.

Don't take this the wrong way though. I am not saying your argument is invalid. I am telling you that two of your points might not work.

Edited by CordedQuill42
I don't use curse words, whether they are censored or not
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reverse tracks are crutches, they need to add actual tracks instead of relying on those to fill out a track list. A toggle option would be fine I suppose, but the livery tool has already been proven to work. Your uploads are scanned for inappropriate designs and removed, in some cases banning repeat offenders. I have a laundry list of things they should address but I understand only so much can be done at this point. So I kept it short for the time being until public lobbies returns and we can go from there.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Omiley said:

They have all the right components to take GRID to the next level, just seem to lack proper guidance it would seem.

A baseline amount of tracks + vehicles within a poorly constructed career consisting of very limited variety doesn't actually constitute "the right components", does it? These are the *core mechanics* of the game and at some point or other even the most optimistic Grid die-hard has to concede that, in terms of what's already available within similar titles, they're just not good enough to drive the game forward in any way, shape or form. Codemasters have had their opportunity with the Grid franchise and didn't take it.

Sorry but that's the brutal reality of things. As a mainstream product Grid 2019 is beyond salvation and the only thing left is to wonder what the next barebones, DLC obsessed £74.95 Codemasters racing game we all won't be buying in 2020 will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the worst game in franchise so far , you can see it by looking at player count, than if you play it you can see even more...

This is how games die, when people lost interest in games, companies wont make any sequels because of poor profit.

Game is lacking in cars, tracks, game modes, features, it's full of bugs and glitches ... Looks like its made for money only and not for players ! 75 euros for game that missing so much, its a rip off and slap in the face for fans of franchise. Let's hope that huge discount on steam make any difference.

This game , even if all of us want it, can't be repaired in current state. It's made like this with purpose (game design - idea) and even a small change need a serious work , that they won't do I am sure. All they can do is , after they release all the seasons for 2019 title, to focus on a new game, and i hope , way better game !

  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir.Smoke said:

it is what it is, don't expect any miracles

I agree, best we can do is inform them on their mistakes and hope they learn from them. The poor sales drew attention quickly and probably alot of finger pointing, financial motivation is very formidable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mistakes? This company is making racing games for 20 years! This is like Einstein makes a mistake counting 1+1 ! Even starting developers and indie teams design their games more professional!

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The original poster is trying to bring this game back up to a great state. So why are you guys hounding the OP, attacking him for bringing up good points? Seems contradictory, giving the fact that @Omiley brought up some good points. So I am going to add two more. Oh, and the sale upped the count to 312 players.

  • More sponsor options. Even if they are restricted to specific livery types, like NO FEAR for Motorsport and Yokohama for Tuner.
  • Adding extra options to your color choices, like metallic, matte, Pearlescent, and Iridescent. would bring more variety.
Edited by CordedQuill42
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lastbreath said:

Mistakes? This company is making racing games for 20 years! This is like Einstein makes a mistake counting 1+1 ! Even starting developers and indie teams design their games more professional!

agree.

This happen when fan base community have more (by far) hours of playing into the milestone game (grid1) than the average developers team… 

The community is not supposed to be a design teaching here or tell how some features have central importance. This is dev team job. They should already know that.

So, that's why they screwed it so bad… designers and team managers are living into a fantasy world made of ''skirmish mode'' and multiplayer with AI inside...

This game is dead, no matter how many seasons will come !!! Guys, better move forward !!

Happy 2020 everyone.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

The original poster is trying to bring this game back up to a great state. So why are you guys hounding the OP, attacking him for bringing up good points? Seems contradictory, giving the fact that @Omiley brought up some good points. So I am going to add two more. Oh, and the sale upped the count to 312 players.

  • More sponsor options. Even if they are restricted to specific livery types, like NO FEAR for Motorsport and Yokohama for Tuner.
  • Adding extra options to your color choices, like metallic, matte, Pearlescent, and Iridescent. would bring more variety.

Removing reverse tracks isn't a particularly good point. Adding misc sponsor/livery/paint options won't miraculously transform the game to Forza-esque standards. Balancing cars won't make racing around the same old tracks any more interesting. The only good (and valid) point is that of increasing track counts - something that has been pointed out over and over and over and over again.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well that will be done OVER TIME with seasons. Only one track was added because Codemasters was testing the waters. We need to focus our efforts ELSEWHERE.

My opinion of the game has still NOT changed.

Codemasters, Good luck with your next game, and I hope they will make another great game.

Edited by CordedQuill42
Changed my point.
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Removing reverse tracks isn't a particularly good point. Adding misc sponsor/livery/paint options won't miraculously transform the game to Forza-esque standards. Balancing cars won't make racing around the same old tracks any more interesting. The only good (and valid) point is that of increasing track counts - something that has been pointed out over and over and over and over again.

You're missing the point, they're not under any pressure to have a good track list cause they can always fill the void with reverse tracks. Once they know we wont accept that they will look to add tracks. Custom liveries are a coin flip, some people care and some dont. The car balance is a big issue, no point in having a car selection when everyone will chose the fastest in order to win. We may as well be playing F1 in that case where everyone is using the same car. I could go on and on with things needing to be addressed, but I think everyone can agree on Public Lobbies and More Tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, lastbreath said:

Mistakes? This company is making racing games for 20 years! This is like Einstein makes a mistake counting 1+1 ! Even starting developers and indie teams design their games more professional!

But, you see, a company cannot create games. It's the humans (shock). Not many people tend to spend 20 years in the same development team... especially when there have been so many layoffs during those years.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally like this game very much, they just have to improve the AI in every tracks, in Barcelona the AI is perfect and challenging but in other tracks like in San Francisco in some car classes it is too easy too win even on very hard, make the AI in a lot of tracks and car classes faster and better and add cool tracks 🙂 Washington with day night and rain whould be a very big dream for me and also spa francorchamps is a amazing Track, also Chicago frim Grid 2 was one of my favourite Tracks too, this whould be cool if you add more tracks in the future and especially improve the AI please 🙂 I loved Paris, the night is amazing, Paris at night with the light effects from the Eifeltower 🙂  this game so sooo great and the Potential is very big, please support this great again and fix the issues, to make this game even better than it is, every People has his opinion about games and my opinion is it is a great game with a cool Future if you support this again and fix the issues 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Omiley said:

The car balance is a big issue, no point in having a car selection when everyone will chose the fastest in order to win.

Car balancing issues aren't even exclusive to Grid because every single racing game ever conceived suffers from the exact same problem (and always will do). The idea (or fun...call it what you will) of any racing game is to take xx car, tweak it, tune it and drive it to it's max potential. If it's not very quick or handles a bit poo then you move onto the next car and repeat the process. That's the beauty of all cars being unique - so to balance them in such a way that they all drive at exactly the same speed or handle in exactly the same way is as good as saying "let's just have a single car for each class to keep it fair". Tell me, if you were the next Bernie Ecclestone would you propose the exact same suggestion for F1 to keep things fair because Lewis has the faster car and poor old Johnny McRubbish in his clapped out Alfa Romeo has no chance? No you wouldn't.  Besides which, where Grid is concerned and where competitive racing is concerned there is such a thing as everyone racing the same vehicle!

Re: Reverse tracks. Since their 'progression' from X360 to XB1 Codemasters are infamous for launching games with minimal content and much as we would have hoped Grid 2019 would have changed that pattern, with the inclusion of a season pass and a need to justify it's cost it was never going to be the case. Yes, I know the new locations are free for everyone but they're only fully intergrated in the game to those who have stumped up a premium amount, with the rest of us slumming them out in freeplay or hoping that you can find another person to (due to random track selection) maybe get to race them in a slightly more meaningful manner. Reverse tracks may well be the antichrist in your eyes but (for the sake of a fractionally more interesting career) if it means having a little bit of variety from racing the same dozen circuits in a single direction over and over I will take them any day of the week.

Yes I do see your point - but where Codemasters are concerned reverse tracks (mirrored tracks, upside down tracks....I care not one jot what direction these tracks go in) are a massive bonus, so with all things considered suggesting their removal is a terrible, terrible idea. 

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give us MORE MODES ffs this is GRID act like you give a damn!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 10:17 PM, FlashStealth said:

agree.

This happen when fan base community have more (by far) hours of playing into the milestone game (grid1) than the average developers team… 

The community is not supposed to be a design teaching here or tell how some features have central importance. This is dev team job. They should already know that.

So, that's why they screwed it so bad… designers and team managers are living into a fantasy world made of ''skirmish mode'' and multiplayer with AI inside...

This game is dead, no matter how many seasons will come !!! Guys, better move forward !!

Happy 2020 everyone.

That is too bad and too sad to hear..
I play Racing games since 1999+- and my fav game is "Race driver:Grid".
This is the perfect game. 
Graphics - great.
Menu GUI - great.
Gameplay - great.

I also LOVED that from time to time we had this opertunity to race the La-mans 24 minutes race.   That was a challange!
I hoped tyat 2019 will be as fun as that but they blow it.
No VR support (miss it more than everithing here), no sponsors, no challanges, no goal (as the lady who guided us) and poor online game.
We paid a lot of money for this game and it IS fun.
But it is FAAAARRRR from RD:Grid fun.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know... If people don't have anything less provoking to say, maybe you don't need to post a message 🙂 Whatever has happened in the past should really be left into the past already.

You're also potentially slowing down communication between the GRID/DiRT teams and the community by forcing these community managers to use their time on resolving arguments, which is probably what you wouldn't want to happen.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

to balance them in such a way that they all drive at exactly the same speed or handle in exactly the same way is as good as saying "let's just have a single car for each class to keep it fair

Theres no such thing as excatly when it comes to BoP, the idea is for cars in their classes to be competitive with one another. I never said anything about making them exactly same, each car will have its own unique characteristics due to different parts, engine, body etc. But you cant have a car 20-25mph faster then all the rest. As for tracks did you know there are 30 reverse tracks ? So half of the track list they boasted arent even unique tracks at all. If they cant use that method in order to fill the list then they have to bring actual tracks. Which would gamers prefer, 60+ tracks with half being in reverse, or 40-50 unique tracks ? Most would choose the later. I've never seen Brands Hatch driven backwards in any IMSA or Blancpain televised event. You cant give us real cars and real tracks and then decide to do things that arent real. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Omiley said:

60+ tracks with half being in reverse, or 40-50 unique tracks ?

Yet this is a strange question as new unique tracks require significant amounts of assets. More appropriate question would be "Do you want 60 or 30 tracks?" 

 

7 hours ago, Omiley said:

You cant give us real cars and real tracks and then decide to do things that arent real. 

Sure you can? That's called being a videogame. Most prefer equal settings for all cars in competitive F1game enviroment, which would be unrealistic. Same with a night time race in Monaco with Senna/Prost... Or kinda the career mode as last time I checked I wasnt a GP driver...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Omiley said:

Theres no such thing as excatly when it comes to BoP, the idea is for cars in their classes to be competitive with one another. I never said anything about making them exactly same, each car will have its own unique characteristics due to different parts, engine, body etc. But you cant have a car 20-25mph faster then all the rest. As for tracks did you know there are 30 reverse tracks ? So half of the track list they boasted arent even unique tracks at all. If they cant use that method in order to fill the list then they have to bring actual tracks. Which would gamers prefer, 60+ tracks with half being in reverse, or 40-50 unique tracks ? Most would choose the later. I've never seen Brands Hatch driven backwards in any IMSA or Blancpain televised event. You cant give us real cars and real tracks and then decide to do things that arent real. 

But then in your eyes you can't have cars that are 10mph faster, 5mph faster or even 1mph faster because they STILL have an unfair advantage over their slower counterparts. You're also forgetting that just because a car is faster it doesn't always mean It's quicker. I used to race the Chevvy Spark online in FMS 4 and it was tuned with a top speed of 102mph flat out down a big hill with the wind behind me...and that was against cars *in the same class* that were (upto) 40mph faster than me. Racing is all about utilising what you have and playing the odds. Given the track layouts, will 0-60 in 5.6 seconds with super high downforce and a top speed of 100mph give me an overall edge against faster, less versatile vehicles? Anyone who has played FMS4 to any degree of competitiveness knows the answer to that....

Sure, if a car was 25mph faster, had lightning fast acceleration and turned on a sixpence then that would be a real issue, but we've all driven Grid and those who have taken the time to look beyond the stats already know that not to be the case and under certain scenarios/weather conditions faster isn't always better. Impossible to tell (due to the abject lack of online activity) but if Grid 2 is anything to go by then in your example *most* would choose the 150 odd mph alternative anyway because there's a high likelihood that it handles better and given the track layouts a low likelihood that the other car can reach and maintain 180 odd mph for it to fully utilise it's speed advantage.

Briefly going back to the track thing. In a ideal world we get 40-50 unique tracks but we're not talking Turn 10 or SMS here - we're talking Codemasters and "ideal world" is not part of their DNA so this is as good as you're going to get. Grid is only a game (let's not forget that fact) so if it means reversing tracks (which by definition ARE unique in layout) and sacrificing realism for content then it's absolutely crazy to argue them away.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Yet this is a strange question as new unique tracks require significant amounts of assets. More appropriate question would be "Do you want 60 or 30 tracks?" 

 

Sure you can? That's called being a videogame. Most prefer equal settings for all cars in competitive F1game enviroment, which would be unrealistic. Same with a night time race in Monaco with Senna/Prost... Or kinda the career mode as last time I checked I wasnt a GP driver...

Hurrah for common sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×