Sign in to follow this  

F1 2019 - Instant crash into computer restart

Hi,

I've got a severe issue with F1 2019 as my game instantly crashes as soon as I launch the practice session and get into the garage. The strangest thing is that if I directly launch a Grand Prix, the game doesn't crash and I am actually able to run the entire GP without any issue. But as soon as I get back into the team HQ or a garage in free practice session, it crashes.

The crash shows no error message. My computer basically restarts smoothly. There's nothing in windows logs except that windows "did not shut down properly".

I doubt this is a problem with my computer as I am able to run other high demanding games such as Red Dead Redemption 2 or Hitman 2. Moreover I did stress tets of almost every components and installed the game on a different HDD then SSD and still had the issue. Components temperature are usual, nvidia drivers are up to date, nothing is overclocked. I have a i5 4690k, GTX 1070, 8gb DDR3, MSI motherboard, and I have a dual screen (but only play on one). I could joint a DxDiag but I'd prefer in private.

I really cannot understand where it might come from, hope you can help me at least knowing if it's an hardware, software or F1 2019 game related issue...

Regards

Hi @DMUJ,

Can I get some more detail, and a DXDiag when possible..

A short description of the problem:

Platform you’re on (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Steam):

Game Version (Shown on the Start screen in the bottom left hand corner):

Game Mode, including if it was Single Player or Multiplayer (Time Trial, Career, Grand Prix, Custom Game etc):

If in Multiplayer, how many players and how many AI?

What happened in the lead up to the problem?

If you get an error message, the exact wording of the error message you're receiving:

Any accessories you are using (wheel, pad, etc):

If you have any videos or screenshots, please share them. If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears:

Sure

A short description of the problem: I've witten it in the first post : the game causes crash and my computer just restarts without further informations.

Platform you’re on (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Steam): PC Steam

Game Version (Shown on the Start screen in the bottom left hand corner): 1.18.2

Game Mode, including if it was Single Player or Multiplayer (Time Trial, Career, Grand Prix, Custom Game etc): Career and Grand Prix at least, never tried multiplayer

What happened in the lead up to the problem? Nothing unusual

If you get an error message, the exact wording of the error message you're receiving:  No error message on the moment nor in Windows logs

Any accessories you are using (wheel, pad, etc): just an xbox one pad

I have sent you in private message my DxDiag

Hi @DMUJ,

Seems an interesting one. What I'm concerned with is that Grand Prix seems to work fine so, in theory, its not a graphical issue. Could you potentially provide a video just so I can show the developers where it crashes exactly. 

I've just checked your DXDiag and all looks fine, which it would as it runs other game modes.

Here it is

I forced the crash by resuming game after alt-tab beacause it's a 100% shot but it's often the same with simply launching the game with no other applications running and no alt tab needed. 

Don't know if it helps but there is a "report code" on the bottom left side in game before it crashed (but it is maybe always here) : ADPJ-DBER-XSMB-TRHE

Posted (edited)

There is a security update for GFE and it was known that the older version (prior to 3.20) caused issues. HTH.

I've watched your video, try disconnecting the secondary display.

Edited by steviejay69
Troubleshooting non primary display.

Hi @DMUJ,

Could you also send over:

• Hardware Configuration Settings
  • Steam ID.

Also, maybe look into lowering the graphical settings to see if that affects anything perhaps.

16 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

There is a security update for GFE and it was known that the older version (prior to 3.20) caused issues. HTH.

I've watched your video, try disconnecting the secondary display.

Thanks for helping but unfortunately I'm already running this update for GFE

Completely disconnecting (and uplugging) the secondary display does'nt prevent the game from crashing neither.

10 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi @DMUJ,

Could you also send over:

• Hardware Configuration Settings
  • Steam ID.

Also, maybe look into lowering the graphical settings to see if that affects anything perhaps.

Steam ID is EnErCoVi

But sorry I don't understand what you mean with "Hardware Configuration Settings"

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, DMUJ said:

But sorry I don't understand what you mean with "Hardware Configuration Settings"

There is an XML file in My Documents\My Games\F1 2019 called hardware_settings_config.xml, he means send that.

(You can delete it to force a redetection of the game settings, but try that after you've sent it, at least).

Edited by steviejay69
do / try
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Devil's Canyon may be unstable with turbo and / or without uCode update. Install KB4497165 and/or try disabling Turbo in BIOS.

If KB4497165 is effective, I can maybe mod your BIOS if there is no OEM update.

Is it okay if my cpu i5-4690k is not listed in microsoft's compatibility list for KB4497165 ? 

There's the 4670k though.

4 hours ago, DMUJ said:

Is it okay if my cpu i5-4690k is not listed in microsoft's compatibility list for KB4497165 ? 

There's the 4670k though.

Yes, it's fine. My i7-4790K isn't listed either but the patch works. CPU ID is 306C3 same as the i7-4770K or the i5-4670K

1 hour ago, steviejay69 said:

Yes, it's fine. My i7-4790K isn't listed either but the patch works. CPU ID is 306C3 same as the i7-4770K or the i5-4670K

Well

I did two sessions of test tonight and it worked like a charm. I wasn't even able to force crash like I did before by going back into the game after an alt-tab from a several-open-tabs google chrome.

I'll see with further tests as I was limited on time and couldn't for instance reboot between sessions etc. but it's promising, thanks. What was it exactly the update you gave me ? 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DMUJ said:

Well

I did two sessions of test tonight and it worked like a charm. I wasn't even able to force crash like I did before by going back into the game after an alt-tab from a several-open-tabs google chrome.

I'll see with further tests as I was limited on time and couldn't for instance reboot between sessions etc. but it's promising, thanks. What was it exactly the update you gave me ? 

Like all chips, the Haswell / Devil's Canyon chip has errata. The update changes the microcode (patches some of the flaws or achieves maths in different ways) also a lot of them are effected only when turbo mode is used. 

If you can specify it was JUST the patch that helped and you haven't disabled the turbo then that helps me advise others. I know a specific flaw that affects only the i7-4790K (turbo over 4GHz).

I've attached the errata but it is the most recent Intel documentation available and I think at the time uCode 0x19 was the latest. This is kind of the route that I've been going down with UEFI/BIOS updates (trying to patch as much CPU errata as possible) and driver updates (there is only forward, except to prove via driver regression).

If you post your board name then I can patch AMI UEFI for microcode with a publicly available tool.

4th-gen-core-family-desktop-specification-update.pdf

The patch I've linked is a SPECTRE microcode patch - despite fears that these patches hit CPU performance, they don't seem to affect gaming. They do remove OC possibilities for SOME older CPUs that were basically exploiting chipset flaws by failing to ID the CPU properly and allowing modification of the multipliers, etc. If someone can provide me with proof that their benchmarks or in-game is affected by the patch, then I would argue would you prefer stablility at the expense of a few FPS? Microsoft are rolling these patches into W10 but the progress is slow. UEFI updates are permanent until the uCode is revised once more.

The patches can be applied or removed, activated for SPECTRE or disabled but the uCode would be present in any case if the patch is applied. I haven't done a lot of testing as to which scenario is the 'fix' as the threat for me is a known threat, so I won't disable the patch and I run with them enabled.

I ran F1 2018 without patches and then patched and noticed no drop in performance as provided by in-game benchmark. I then used the opt-in beta for DX12 and got a performance uplift.

Therefore I've ran F1 2019 with patches and in DX12 throughout (although I did observe a lighting error in DX12 working correctly in DX11 mode before CM patched it with (IIRC) 1.06) and have had no other issues except actual game bugs (except the odd minimization from fullscreen).

Edited by steviejay69

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the explanation !

Yes it is just the patch which seems to have corrected the issue, I didn't touch to anything in BIOS.

Regarding the possible loss in (gaming) performance, I haven't seen anything weird in my two F1 2019 sessions but I will comeback to confirm that (and that it really fixed F1 2019 issue) in a few days as I also play Red Dead Redemption 2, which should be a fine benchmark in itself.

Edited by DMUJ
  • Thanks 1

On further tests today my game still crashes @steviejay69. I launched the game after a long session of something else on my computer so chrome pages were still open. It crashed as soon as I got into the garage.

Then I restarted and directly launched the game. It was stable and I managed to do the 3 qualifiers and all the garages/team HQ it implies without crashing. However in order to complete test, I did an alt-tab, open several chrome pages and get back. It crashed.

- Alt-tabs really seem to kill the game (even in GP)

- I don't know if Chrome is responsible for any instability when it's in background while playing OR if it is the fact that playing just after restarting that makes the game more stable. -> I'll test that later this afternoon by launching the game without any Chrome page but after a long session and without restarting.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DMUJ said:

On further tests today my game still crashes @steviejay69. I launched the game after a long session of something else on my computer so chrome pages were still open. It crashed as soon as I got into the garage.

Then I restarted and directly launched the game. It was stable and I managed to do the 3 qualifiers and all the garages/team HQ it implies without crashing. However in order to complete test, I did an alt-tab, open several chrome pages and get back. It crashed.

- Alt-tabs really seem to kill the game (even in GP)

- I don't know if Chrome is responsible for any instability when it's in background while playing OR if it is the fact that playing just after restarting that makes the game more stable. -> I'll test that later this afternoon by launching the game without any Chrome page but after a long session and without restarting.

ALT-TAB isn't healthy for the game but to be fair, it's a workaround when things in-game are broken.

https://www.howtogeek.com/181761/why-pc-games-struggle-with-alttab-and-how-to-fix-it/

So basically, this is the fullscreen / lost focus issue with the game because of how the desktop display manager manages (or doesn't) fullscreen applications.

I get 60 FPS locks if I touch any other Window while the game is loading (unless I ALT-TAB again)

Try the Turbo disable as well.

Edited by steviejay69

Yes I quickly decided to be careful with alt-tab but still sometimes it crashes without any alt-tab as when I wrote that "I launched the game after a long session of something else on my computer so chrome pages were still open. It crashed as soon as I got into the garage."

But apart from possible stability issue, is the turbo mode useful and will I loose some performance by disabling it ? I'll try anyway but just to know.

I also forgot to tell you the ref of my motherboard : MSI Z97 SLI Krait

3 hours ago, DMUJ said:

I'll test that later this afternoon by launching the game without any Chrome page but after a long session and without restarting.

Test revealed unsuccessful as I crashed without any Chrome page in background nor alt-tab but after a long time my computer was on.

Looks like the game is way more stable when I play as soon as I log in.

2 hours ago, DMUJ said:

Yes I quickly decided to be careful with alt-tab but still sometimes it crashes without any alt-tab as when I wrote that "I launched the game after a long session of something else on my computer so chrome pages were still open. It crashed as soon as I got into the garage."

But apart from possible stability issue, is the turbo mode useful and will I loose some performance by disabling it ? I'll try anyway but just to know.

Turbo mode allows the CPU cores to overclock slightly past maximum nominal frequency if it would benefit the system to do work more effectively so the cores can return to normal (speedstep). Turbo allows a maximum frequency stated in the spec on one core, it will be reduced slightly if two cores turbo and even more if all four cores are turbo-ed to keep the chip within it's thermal design and power draw window (i.e. if turbo increases core temperature for too long the turbo effect is disabled to keep the chip from overheating).

It's a benefit if the system is stable whilst doing so, the errata says that the chip is less stable when certain operations are carried out in that mode. Without turbo the cores will reach maximum frequency if the workload is sufficient, but the chip should then stay in the thermal and power window if the cooling is effective.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DMUJ said:

I can find Z97S SLI Krait Edition, the model number must match. Latest UEFI BIOS is A.7 (might be listed as 10.7, MSI have a habit of using Hex and Dec numerals but board model is MSI-7922).

I have modified the uCode and attached the file to this post. (The unzipped file will look externally the same to the official download, but I can assure you it is different).

E7922IMS.zip

Edited by steviejay69

So your E7922IMS is the same but with Turbo disabled ?  

How do I install this ? Just double click and follow instructions ?

10 hours ago, DMUJ said:

So your E7922IMS is the same but with Turbo disabled ?  

How do I install this ? Just double click and follow instructions ?

No. It contains modified microcode. Turbo (Enable/Disable) is a setting in the UEFI BIOS settings screens.

And, if you're having to ask how to install it, it's best you read the user manual or don't attempt it. It's compressed (zipped) and the target file (E7922IMS.A70) should be written to a FAT32 USB drive and installed using the update routine described in the manual 3-7 (English pg. 63).

Please be sure the board is a 100% match and back up the old BIOS first. 

Just before I do that, is there a way to install a prior version of the game ?

Because everthing worked just fine from september to october even though I'm not sure these crashes began just after a new patch.