Best way to race in Grid?

Best way to face races in Grid?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred method?

• Qualify. Aim for the top spot on start.
    • Qualify. Aim for a middle spot and fight the pack.
    • No qualify. Start last, aim to win.

I usually play on hard. Try to qualify as high as possible (no less than 8th) and aim for the top. 

But I'm thinking about lowering the difficulty and starting on the back of the grid and fight all the way, because is fun to be on the pack. And the races are winnable on normal. 

What is your approach for racing?

Posted (edited)

If you don't qualify, the game will use a reverse championship grid format 🙂 

That's also my favourite for multiple race events.

Edited by UP100
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, UP100 said:

If you don't qualify, the game will use a reverse championship grid format 🙂 

That's also my favourite for multiple race events.

Omg! I didn't knew that! That's a game changer, lol. I think I will now run multi race events that way from now on. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leocp said:

Omg! I didn't knew that! That's a game changer, lol. I think I will now run multi race events that way from now on. 

Thank you!

Yeah it took me ages to notice as well 😁

That's also how it used to work in Quick Match multiplayer (3 race events) and it was fun to try and climb back up the standings after a bad round 1.

Unfortunately, Quick Match multiplayer was changed to just 1 round with a random starting grid. So if you start at the back you are out of luck vs players of equal skill level (and that's what you want for good racing).

The reason it got changed was to fill up lobbies faster, but I seriously hope this gets re-considered over time. Constantly getting booted back to the skirmish mode after 1 race gets tiresome as well.

"But public lobbies are coming" <-- This is true and will be the only proper way to race in multiplayer with the changes done to Quick Match.

Good question... In my first playthrough I didn't qualify, had the difficulty turned down a touch, and fought from the back of the field. Second time round, I cranked the difficulty up, used Qualifying and took it a little more seriously. Probably enjoyed the first run more... but got a lot of satisfaction out of the second run, especially in the GRID World Series 👍

• Like 1

Running races from the back is fun but I dislike getting pushed off by the AI cars when I haven't made any mistakes!

I run with the AI at hard and can usually outrun them from the front but I do start at the back sometimes - it's fun but usually the races are just a bit too short with the competition on 'hard'.

Sorry if I'm babbling to the knowledgeable - I'm a Forum Virgin! My first contribution here, though I've been gaming since the 90's.

How do you make the series races longer? Is that even possible?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StefanCobb said:

How do you make the series races longer? Is that even possible?

Not yet, but we're running some internal tests on adding a race length extender to Career events and hope to get this live over the next couple of months 🙂

• Agree 1

On 1/7/2020 at 1:13 PM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Good question... In my first playthrough I didn't qualify, had the difficulty turned down a touch, and fought from the back of the field. Second time round, I cranked the difficulty up, used Qualifying and took it a little more seriously. Probably enjoyed the first run more... but got a lot of satisfaction out of the second run, especially in the GRID World Series 👍

Thats interesting. I also thought about doing like two playthroughs. 

One in hard. Doing one lap qualify and racing, ending on whatever position I can. Just completing the events unlocks the next ones, right?

Then, doing a "clean up" one in normal, probably without qualy, fighting my way on the pack.

I may do that... or maybe I'll skip part one, lol.

• Like 1

I myself qualify on medium abs 1 tc 2 sc2 . can be a bit tricky with high power cars in the wet but thats the fun of it   , great game codies

• Like 1

I think I found my perfect way...

Hard difficulty, no qualy.

In this setting, you can perfectly win multi race events just by being consistent and placing above top 10, and probably getting a podium. For two race events, you probably need one podium and a top 5 at the very least.

The fun and kinda realistic thing about this, is that the reverse grid format (per championship placing) makes it so pretty much everyone has chances to place well, so you don't have one chosen rival on the events. At the end, points are all over the place, so it really feels like anyone can win. It is really fun.

So, thanks everyone for your feedback. I was able to find my perfect way to enjoy the game 🙂

Edited by Leocp