Dirt Rally 2.0 France-Corsica Location

Can we have a DLC with stages (asphalt) from France (Corsica) Location????

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

16 hours ago, KingOfCoins said:

Nah, Isle of man all the way

Why not both? Both plus Moll’s Gap

• Agree 1

I admire the optimism in this thread. So far all dlc rally locations we have received so far have been from Dirt Rally 1, so i can’t see why brand new rally locations would be added now. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Pieman99 said:

I admire the optimism in this thread. So far all dlc rally locations we have received so far have been from Dirt Rally 1, so i can’t see why brand new rally locations would be added now. 

But there is though. They have run out of dr1 locations. And condisering how long it takes to make one location it could be that they started with new locations when dr 2 launched. Whole it’s not guaranteed we’ll see some new stuff it’s not totally impossible either

I think word would have gotten out if there were new rally locations coming. Would they need to record the route? Record the co driver? Apply for rights? 

I think this would have been celebrated on social media, not kept secret.

Edited by Beefcote852
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 1:06 PM, KingOfCoins said:

But there is though. They have run out of dr1 locations. And condisering how long it takes to make one location it could be that they started with new locations when dr 2 launched. Whole it’s not guaranteed we’ll see some new stuff it’s not totally impossible either

Or they will add McRae photo, 2 liveries and one car 😄

• Haha 2

I'm sure developing new rally stages is more laborious than most people know.  So far all of Dirt Rally 2.0's rally stages are 1:1 representations of real world roads/trails.  They have to visit the location with laser scanning equipment (not cheap), scan the location, filter the data so it's a usable point cloud for level designers to meticulously model the environment.   

Once it's modeled they're not even halfway done, because they need to drive the stages over and over again in order to identify the most commonly traveled paths, not only for visual appearance, but also for track degradation models.  Extensive stage testing needs to continue with drivers of various skill levels in all vehicle classes under all conditions to get a pace for AI times so that they feel realistic.  All throughout this process they have to get testers to try and break the level at every point so they can find holes in the 'design' that are too easy to exploit, or areas that cause other problems.

All that said, I think it's time well spent because DR2.0's stages are immaculate.  I'd happily pay for more stages so they can continue to make them.  (But seriously Codies, if you do.  Please give us more car setup slots 😭)

2 hours ago, ApexAzimuth said:

They have to visit the location with laser scanning equipment (not cheap), scan the location

They aren't Kunos Simulazioni...
You don't need to travel anywhere. Take a Google map, download all the required roads, watch onboard replays and you are ready to build a track.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ApexAzimuth said:

All that said, I think it's time well spent because DR2.0's stages are immaculate.  I'd happily pay for more stages so they can continue to make them.  (But seriously Codies, if you do.  Please give us more car setup slots 😭)

Yeah, but I like current model. I would pay $100 per year for good DLC stuff. It's like Horizon 4. The game is awesome but it would be better to have another paid DLC.

Ideal state for me is day 1 special edition with a book (tips, info, etc.), game, steelbook and some DLC for $150 and then every year new DLC for $100. For, I don't know, 2 years? It could work for me and racing games.

I love this style of racing game editions. Steelbook is necessary for every fan. Book with real info (rally history?) for bookworms. Some special in-game stuff... and the game itself!

2 hours ago, mesa said:

They aren't Kunos Simulazioni...
You don't need to travel anywhere. Take a Google map, download all the required roads, watch onboard replays and you are ready to build a track.

If all you want is an impression of a location, then doing the above would be fine, but that's not the standard that DR2.0's tracks adhere to.  They are nearly accurate models of real locations.  As someone that works in road design IRL, I can tell you that google street view and publicly available topographic data are not going to cut it.   Sure, you could get a good impression of a rally location and creatively interpret what you see, and I'm sure you could make good rally stages that way, but there's a specific quality that's lost when you do this to be sure.  I'm not saying it's an invalid way to approach stage design; just that it's not the way Dirt Rally's stages are done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1