Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[FEATURE] - Dirt Rally, Arcade or Sim. What you prefer ?

The Question is simple. Dirt Rally is pure sim. That means you need Wheel, Shifter etc. (Yes) Dirt Rally is a funny game. I want play Dirt Rally with my pop-corn and my xbox Conrollers (No) For the users they like a simple Rally game in the middle, they can play Dirt 3 or something else. This is here a serius effort from Codemaster. This step is in the right direction.

So are you saying you should have to have a full setup to play the game? That's pretty short sighted and doubtful to happen. 

Not sure if trolling or not... He has the same views in another post about analogue handbrakes and seems fair set in his ways of catering to the 10% who have the wallets and the equipment to play it as a full setup rally sim.

I'm playing on DS4 (not proper support yet) and have a lot of fun , the same in AC, so you don't need full setup to enjoy game ... I'm not saying its easy :)

Not really sure how to vote. While I do want a sim, and have a full wheel setup, I want to be able to use a controller too.

If the files are moddable and Codemaster will allow it then this game should be Full-Sim.. Why?
The current RBR/RSRBR players will migrate here... and I say there still alot of RSRBR players out there **cough income for codies cough**
Then Codemaster can create their own league but also allow private leagues.

==

About the controllers.. well I used to play RBR/RSRBR with a controller and it works perfectly, so the result should be the same here.

If you can play this game with a gamepad, then it is not a simulation!
Hmm. Assetto Corsa is not a sim then?

bogani said:
Are You suggesting AC can be played with a gamepad and assists off? Because this is what DiRT should act when approached with gamepad and assists off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8m2sJKh5Hg
DiRT works well with gamepad, so go figure.
EDIT: BTW AC so unrealistic, that final wheel lock slide is like on ice, very much like RBR.

SamRWD said:
bogani said:
Are You suggesting AC can be played with a gamepad and assists off? Because this is what DiRT should act when approached with gamepad and assists off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8m2sJKh5Hg
DiRT works well with gamepad, so go figure.
EDIT: BTW AC so unrealistic, that final wheel lock slide is like on ice, very much like RBR.
Just because you don't drive well with a gamepad, doesn't mean no one does. And it doesn't look like there's any settings used to make using the gamepad better, such as linearity or sensitivity (Not assists, simply settings). The technique you use simply by flicking the stick making it act like a digital control isn't the best for racing, especially on tarmac.  I'm not sure why so many wheel users are anti-game pad. If the wheel is superior, I don't know what the fuss is about for you?

I am not antigamepad. I am just a firm believer that You cannot drive a rally car with a gamepad. This example shows a wheel lock. Can You lock wheels on tarmac in DiRT? Start comparison from there.

SamRWD said:
I am not antigamepad. I am just a firm believer that You cannot drive a rally car with a gamepad. This example shows a wheel lock. Can You lock wheels on tarmac in DiRT? Start comparison from there.
So it has literally nothing to do with wheel vs gamepad, but about the physics. You're bringing things into the argument that aren't needed because of your bias. Saying "Im not anti gamepad" immediately followed by "you cant drive a rally car with one" is horrible logic. That's like saying "Im not sexist" followed by "But women shouldn't vote." Clearly there are differences between a "full sim" and what DiRT Rally is. It's much harder to drive any car realistically using a gamepad, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to period.

iRacing, one of the most hardcore and sophisticated online racing simulations... can be played with a game pad. They won't be aliens but it's definitely possible. The old guard of simulations - rFactor, Richard Burns Rally, GTR2, Live for Speed - all hardcore as fOOO, all easy to drive on pad, RBR especially.

There was this argument in the flight sim community, then a couple of combat drone developers started making drones that could be flown using a Xbox controller.

iRacing, one of the most hardcore and sophisticated online racing simulations... can be played with a game pad. They won't be aliens but it's definitely possible. The old guard of simulations - rFactor, Richard Burns Rally, GTR2, Live for Speed - all hardcore as fOOO, all easy to drive on pad, RBR especially.

There was this argument in the flight sim community, then a couple of combat drone developers started making drones that could be flown using a Xbox controller.
What??

I am really tired after work, so sorry for just quick brief answer. I am flying flight sims long before RBR was released. Drones are using advanced auto stablizers, so for example hovering requires... no input. IRacing on a gamepad?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anFmfQNm4EM
Can You race/ rally in a sim from A to B? Yes. Can You apply a real life driving techniques with it? No. Does the game that allows turning on appropate assists/ axis mapping for gamepads to be usable maintain sim status? Yes. Is DiRT a sim? No, because it seems to be tailored for gamepads and aprox 270 degree wheel support. Make a proper physics tailored for a proper wheel settings, then tweak it for gamepads adding appropate game settings.

Hello
I play since 2004 with Richard Burns Rally.
Dirt Rally is really funny but I miss the clutch  (logitech g25) .
Do you think it could be Integrated in Dirt Rally?
The second problem, I crushe too much the pedal of accelerator. It's almost too easy; Could be more difficult.
Graphics and sounds are fabulous. Sound Effects inside and outside are not enough loud.
I was dreaming of a such Rally sim and i hope, soon, my dream will become reality!!!
Congratulations and best regards
Vince

After a big jump one expects a hefty whack but you usually hears nothing of the violent contact with the ground.
'Usually'. It all depends if your suspension absorbs the impact, try softening it up. We have skid plate impacts - perhaps it needs to be a little  louder.

You should be able to play sims with a gamepad. Obviously it's less realistic than a ffb wheel but it's still a game. The physics used to simulate real life are generalisations and can never 100% perfectly model real life. So why shouldn't it be fun for everyone. The idea is to make it seem as much like real rallying as possible, and as close as possible for those on the gamepad too.

If you think a gamepad makes it not a sim, then those who don't have a capsule that tilts you around should also not be able to claim to be playing a sim.

SamRWD said:
I am really tired after work, so sorry for just quick brief answer. I am flying flight sims long before RBR was released. Drones are using advanced auto stablizers, so for example hovering requires... no input. IRacing on a gamepad?:
/cut/
Can You race/ rally in a sim from A to B? Yes. Can You apply a real life driving techniques with it? No. Does the game that allows turning on appropate assists/ axis mapping for gamepads to be usable maintain sim status? Yes. Is DiRT a sim? No, because it seems to be tailored for gamepads and aprox 270 degree wheel support. Make a proper physics tailored for a proper wheel settings, then tweak it for gamepads adding appropate game settings.
Just to be clear, because i want to play with pad it doesn't mean i want game to be dedicated for pad. I don't want another Dirt4 which I've played for 15 min max. I respect all you wheel guys and I would like Dirt as much sim as possible, (maybe some day I'll get wheel). And yes AC can be played on pad, I'm using it, maybe I'm not fastest but i have great fun. What I'm referring too is configuration options for pad which i don't think affects physics in game at all (or at least shouldn't). In AC i can configure everything what I need as I want (I'm not using x360 profile but wheel/custom and it works).
Not really sure what drones are referring too :) but personally i prefer rc heli, and hovering isn't so easy there :)

cheers and don't cut!!

Edit:
to stop this discussion , you can always drive if you want, no matter how.... :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb43Nxuwc4I

"No, because it seems to be tailored for gamepads and aprox 270 degree wheel support."

This is true. Until the changes...this is a simple game with a lot of fun.

But the RBR Drivers, try the Dirt and the go back to RBR.

If you want sells make it like Dirt 3. But dont asking us for Feedback. You dont want a new or better RBR Rally sim.

You want sells.

Didn't vote as I dont think either of the poll options would represent my opinion.
Its not a proper sim in the truest sense , but that doesnt mean its not fun or shouldnt be enjoyed with a steering wheel OR a gamepad.

sfcpaulo said:
Didn't vote as I dont think either of the poll options would represent my opinion.
Its not a proper sim in the truest sense , but that doesnt mean its not fun or shouldnt be enjoyed with a steering wheel OR a gamepad.
Unfortunately that's kind of the point, that the OP just wants you to agree with him or feel stupid essentially.