Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[FEATURE] - Dirt Rally, Arcade or Sim. What you prefer ?

94% Dirt is Rally sim

Pop-corn Players is free now to go home and play pac-man with their Gamepads

94% !!!

This is not a f%$§3g console game. This is Rally Sim !!!

Je joue avec la mannette toutes les aides desactivé et j'y arrive tres bien.

En moyenne je fini 2e/5e place au general en championna.

Donc oui c'est possible 

I agree Player with only the pad Option so be covered & not left out.

Anyhow ist not going to happen to much Money to be lost making it only for Wheels shifters & the all the other fancy bits some Hardcore  Simmer use.

I know of no current sim that is only for Wheels AC . P-Cars . Rfactor 2  I.Racing  & all the older sims  inculding Richard Burns rallying & let use not Forget RBR was made for Pad use first & for PS1 at that.

Back when  only few had wheels of any sort.

You will always get the Sim elite that if it supports Pads then it is arcade.

Overall I want the game to be as real as they can make it. but I also understand they need some thing  that can be marketed at the end of the day.

Hardcore simmers  those with multipul Screens  & buttom boxes  more equipment than most will ever own  have lots of Money to spend , but there not enough of them to Offset the lost mass market sale that no holds bar Simulation would loose over those who just want fun.

Not everyone can buy a Wheel or don`t have enough room to place it properly.

Wheel users are always worried about gamepad users, one solution is to separate leaderboards accordingly.

I like Sims but I use Xbox 360 controller most of the time.  Just play it with your wheel and let others enjoy the gamepad!!!

SamRWD said:
EDIT: BTW AC so unrealistic, that final wheel lock slide is like on ice, very much like RBR.
Actually that's locking the brakes at speed while turning - so it went straight. Same thing would happen in real life. The cure is simple; release the brake. ;)

I didn't vote because it's not clear what the poll is asking. The only reason I even considered this game was because it was meant to be a sim.  I hope Dirt rally will become a full sim, the physics still feel very basic right now, which is very apparent when you drive a RWD car. 

for me its a sim, and i'm glad codies listend to the community to improve the game and gave us early acces.RbR was very good for its time but now dirt rally will hopefully supersede it.

Its not a total sim yet! But its much much closer than the others! But still missing some points, like opportunity to choose tyres, less grip, less brake power... but, its on the very good way and its getting more and more closer to replace RBR :D

Not even close to a sim when it comes to car behaviour, the RWD cars show up how basic the car handling is in this game. Straight steering and full throttle on gravel in a 240 hp RWD car is not realistic. If this is a sim then so is burnout series.

PC have had to put up wth with console imports so it makes a change for a game designed for the PC, played with pad but a wheel is way better.

not going to vote on this one, because i think we should have a choice in game menus...

Sim
Arcade

with 2 of everything example 2 leadeboards !

yes we do know its a sim, but why only ! sure to god there to have both inside the game, will chase alot of people away from it, if you hate sims. and thats not what codemasters wants. no do we. we want this game to work

Using a gamepad would totally ruin the immersion for me and that to me  is what a sim is all about.
Immersion.
I have no problem at all though with people using gamepads,
Good luck to them.

It's really funny watching everyone complain about the physics because they "know" how each and every car handles and each and every track in real life, which is impossible. Yet the actual pro drivers all say it's the best rally game yet.

SamRWD said:
I am not antigamepad. I am just a firm believer that You cannot drive a rally car with a gamepad. This example shows a wheel lock. Can You lock wheels on tarmac in DiRT? Start comparison from there.

Yes. Yes you can lock your wheels on tarmac in DR.

Controler is a kind of dopping...

controler users, hey! Trow it to rubbish and buy a wheel... This is must be...

As it is still in a kinda beta mode I nevertheless find DR very impressing physics-wise and much advanced in terms of the legendary(simarcade) predecessors CMR 1,2, (and 4 was okay as well).The visual presentation of their games was always great, nothing to complain about... I´m a pure simracer btw. racing RRE mostly and this ongoing discussion about pad-users is boring cause today even those  Sims (AC, IR,RRE, PC) are having a decent gamepad support while the difference should be that the game is mainly based on wheel support implementing pad-support as well - not the other way round. Pad players should play with them if they like to - like wheel users do..why not ? Tbh I avoided Codies products more than a decade cause I felt disappointed by the arcadish way of developement - Dirt Rally brought me back, hoping they now return to the path they left almost 15 Years ago ;)

Btw. --should mention that for me the full sim aspect contains the possibillity to apply standard rally-driving  techniques like left-foot braking and scandinavian flic to your advantage...which you can`t with controller (only in a rudimentary way) so there should be a good balance between gamepad and wheel. Competition/Online Racing is of secondary value for me. AP Ghostracing with Rally I find boring and useless (if MP then in a realistic way with competitors starting one after another) and Leaderboards, well not my Cup of Tea as well. For MP racing I have RRE - thats more than enough.
DIRT Rally in this regard I would only drive for the sheer pleasure, mastering that cars and tracks in the most realistic way possible..

MBColin said:
Controler is a kind of dopping...

controler users, hey! Trow it to rubbish and buy a wheel... This is must be...
Whether you like it or not, people will always use pads for driving games, for all kinds of different reasons. Some can't afford a wheel, some haven't got the space, some can't be bothered with the whole, set it up to play a couple of games, then dismantle it again so they can use their pc's for normal stuff, some play all different types of games and a pad works on all of them, but a wheel only works on one kind of game.

I play with a controller and still love this game and want it to be the rally sim we have been promised. Is much prefer to pay it with a wheel and pedals but I don't have the space and can't justify the cost, sadly.

Whether you like it or not, people will always use pads for driving games, for all kinds of different reasons. Some can't afford a wheel, some haven't got the space, some can't be bothered with the whole, set it up to play a couple of games, then dismantle it again so they can use their pc's for normal stuff, some play all different types of games and a pad works on all of them, but a wheel only works on one kind of game.
Yes of course, I'm only joking with this thread.
I hope everybody understand that what I said is only a joke, however, I prefer a wheel and I understand that not all the people play Dirt Rally with one of this...

:# :# :#

MBColin said:
Yes of course, I'm only joking with this thread.
I hope everybody understand that what I said is only a joke, however, I prefer a wheel and I understand that not all the people play Dirt Rally with one of this...
lol No worries, all I was doing was explaining why you will never get rid of pads in racing games.

I enjoy both popcorn and fun quite a bit.

Sorry, what were we talking about again?

JZStudios said:
It's really funny watching everyone complain about the physics because they "know" how each and every car handles and each and every track in real life, which is impossible. Yet the actual pro drivers all say it's the best rally game yet.
Because that's what the pro drivers are paid to say, the best rally game yet is not that high a praise, most rally games are complete arcade rubbish. It doesn't matter what spec the car is, it should still obey the laws of physics like every other car.
RWD cars are not as simple to drive on gravel as DR suggests. Watch videos of powerful RWD rally cars on gravel and you will see the steering is almost never straight while taking a corner, IRL you have to fight to keep a powerful RWD car straight on gravel it's the complete opposite of how you need to drive in DR where you have to over drive to make the car go sideways and it's still very far off what driving a real car sideways is like.

Arguriou said:
The Question is simple. Dirt Rally is pure sim. That means you need Wheel, Shifter etc. (Yes) Dirt Rally is a funny game. I want play Dirt Rally with my pop-corn and my xbox Conrollers (No) For the users they like a simple Rally game in the middle, they can play Dirt 3 or something else. This is here a serius effort from Codemaster. This step is in the right direction.
I believe Dirt Rally is/should be a sim, but when you turn on some assists it should also be playable by the average player and with a controller. So I guess the game is at a pretty sweet spot already.