Moved to a faster team, but not making faster times

So I've completed my first season with Williams. With difficulty at 93%, I was consistently within +/- 0.3 seconds of George Russell. As the car improved over the season and became easier to control, I began to stretch this to around + 0.7 seconds max, and even started scoring points at 5 of the European races. Then the last portion of the season, the bit I'm not very good at, I was consistently behind George, and he even scored a couple of points. A fair reflection of my ability and the ability of the car. Difficulty, as I said, was 93% at every single race.

Season ends, and I decided to move up to Renault, now the 4th fastest car on the grid, the best of the rest, and had Sergio Perez join me as my teammate. I expected my times to reflect the improvement in car... but no. I'm still getting times identical to the times I got last season at Australia with the then basic, no-upgrades, slowcoach Williams, mid 1.26s. Worse still, Perez is having no problem with his new car, and is into the low 1.25s.

What's going on? Despite having a faster car, I can't seem to drive any faster? Is it me or is there some peculiar quirk in the way the game's been coded?

The obvious thing is to drop the difficulty, which I probably will have to by quite a bit (Australia is one of my best tracks, so this is all the more odd that I'll have to drop the difficulty by so much), but that doesn't explain why this should be. Is the player stuck with a car that's fixed to their difficulty no matter what team they're at, while the AI has its' own level? Or have I just reached my limit?

I remember moving from Caterham to Toro Rosso on F1 2014, and definitely made better times, so for this to happen on F1 2019 is just baffling.

Could be that the cars characteristics dont suit your style atall. Having test the renault and alfa in the 19 game I prefered the alfa.

Could also be that your so used to driving the williams that your not driving to the limit of the new car especially if your driving the same times.

Found it hard to push cars to the limit myself in this game compared to 18 its a different approach.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

Could also be that your so used to driving the williams that your not driving to the limit of the new car especially if your driving the same times.

Probably this ^
To gain a second a lap (which is huge in F1), you only need to gain less than a length at each corner - it’s fractions and can be hard when you’re used to driving a certain car a certain way.

I'm guessing this is because at Williams you invested in a few engine (ICE) based upgrades or another speed related upgrade and now you are at Renault you no longer have this upgrades? So the better performance of the Renault is being offset by you losing Williams upgrades? If you hadn't installed any upgrades at Williams then ignore this! My McLaren in season 4 would destroy every other car on track. By 3 or 4 seconds per lap.... 

9 hours ago, AdamFreeman said:

Could be that the cars characteristics dont suit your style atall. Having test the renault and alfa in the 19 game I prefered the alfa.

Found it hard to push cars to the limit myself in this game compared to 18 its a different approach.

This is probably it. I've dropped the difficulty to compensate for this because it's hurting my hands too much trying to keep up. 😁

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. 👍

• Agree 1