DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Public lobbies coming January 13 - 'Session Search' walkthrough

Hey all,

I'm pleased to confirm that public lobbies are coming to GRID, in the form of Session Search, on January 13. Below are all the details you need on how the feature works, ahead of its launch. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Session Search option in GRID is a new addition to Multiplayer, coming in a free update. It allows players to search for and race in bespoke lobbies that have been created by other players.

Session Search includes filters and other options for the player, meaning you can search for exactly what kind of race session you want to jump into. Session Select will be available from the first Multiplayer menu in a new third tile, alongside the existing two options, Quick Match and Custom Match (previously named Private Match).

The TL;DR version of how It works is this: if you’ve played a recent Codemasters title that includes public lobbies, you’ll be familiar with the system we’re adding to GRID. 😊

Once players enter Session Search, you can adjust six different filters to narrow down your lobby search. These filters are:

Show in Progress – Dictate whether or not your searches include lobbies that are currently racing

Discipline – Choose to only show lobbies using Race or Time Attack events, or all

Vehicle Class – Choose to only show lobbies using a specific vehicle class, or leave it open to all

Hot Lap Qualifying – Choose to include or exclude lobbies that are include a Hot Lap Qualifying session

AI Drivers – Choose to include or exclude lobbies that have enabled AI drivers to feature in races

AI Skill Level – If AI drivers are enabled, use this option to include/exclude lobbies with certain AI skill level options

Once you adjust these filters and begin the search, a new screen will appear, collating the live lobbies that meet your search requirements. In list format, the screen will show you the key features of each lobby, which are:

Host – The name of the player hosting the lobby                

Event Card – This shows the session’s category, vehicle, each track in the event, and the game type

Players – The number of players already in that lobby

Progress – What stage of an event the lobby is currently at (Skirmish, Qualifying, Race)

Round – Shows how many rounds the lobby consists of, and which round is currently in progress

Track – The circuit that players in the lobby are currently racing on, or about to race on

AI Drivers – Number of AI opponents included in races

AI Skill Level – If AI drivers are include, this shows their chosen skill level

Damage Level – The chosen damage level for the lobby

Terminal Damage – Outlines whether or not terminal damage is active

Flashbacks – The chosen number of Flashbacks allowed in races

Hot Lap Qualifying – Shows if a Hot Lap Qualifying session is included in races

From this screen, you will also be able to view the profile of the lobby host, and refresh the screen to search for more sessions. All the above allows you to narrow down your search and jump into session that best suits what kind of racing experience you’re looking for in GRID.

For players creating race lobbies, you will still have the option of adjusting the visibility of your session. When creating your lobby in Custom Match, setting the visibility to ‘Public’ will ensure that your session is viewable to all players in Session Search.

Once players have entered a lobby, the process is the same as Custom Match: at the end of the event you can choose to exit the lobby and find a new one, or stick around and let the lobby host create another session.

Thank you to everyone for their feedback on public lobbies, which we’re pleased to bring into GRID in the form of Session Search. Jump in, enjoy, and let us know your thoughts. 😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Agree 8

very nice, can't wait to test it out and see how much it improves online experience

• Like 1

Great! Can't wait to try it! I really hope this gives the game a new uprising, online racing mode needs it 😁

Ok that is great though text chat is not there for an other time i hope to add them later i would like also tv camera when you spectate others (currently there are only the gameplay cameras excepting cockpit ones) Also what about kicking system only host would be able to kick out of lobby? 

AMAZING!!!! Great effort all involved and thank for you FOR listening........ taking our comments on board  👍👍👍

• Agree 1

I would like to apologise to Chris for any inconvenience caused by me. Also keep up the good work. I didn't mean to annoy you and I am usually very friendly. Sorry and this looks interesting for Grid players.

@ChrisGrovesMCM

Is this the only thing that multiplayer patch does?

Or maybe there are some more multiplayer improvements?

Like: possibility of setting the grid size?

Or resolving multiplayer car tuning issue?

Edited by painisawarning
  • Agree 2

I really respect CMs didn't abandone the game.

But it still doesn't explain how could they release so featureless and modeless project. What were they thinking?

• Agree 1

these release dates are always start of the week, would have liked to play it on the weekend.

looking forward to this 😎

Edited by OugaBooga

you can play it next weekend 😜

You always want to make changes at the start of the week so there are people around to fix things if anything goes wrong, if a patch is released on a Friday then there is no one around until Monday.

• Haha 1

Nah, hoping it's installed at midnight on steam so i can be the 1st to complain 😉😛🤣

Hey all,

We're expecting the update to go live on PS4, Xbox One and PC at 11am today - so about 15 minutes from time of writing. I'll let you know when everything is live and the free update is ready to download 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Here it does Dutch time 12;00, few hundreds MB on PS4

Edited by 053
  • Agree 1

The free update which includes Session Search is NOW LIVE on Xbox One, PS4 and PC. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

Looking good, just one addition for next patch if possible, limit grid size on custom please.