Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×

Ride height

Consider me a noob.

1st question. 

Where/how can I find out if the ride height is correct. Is there a graph I can look at? How high the vehicle is above ground around the track? Is there an indication somewhere when I am driving?

Going on a long straight and see how fast I go doesn't answer my ride height question,  nor do I detect enough differences through audio (noise levels/grinding?)

• Like 1

Sadly there is no ingame telemetry or visual representation in the car setup menu to indicate any differences as of yet, despite people vigorously requesting such tools or features for years.

Only way to know for sure, is by testing car setups in free practice mode. Don't use Time Trial as your testing ground, the track and the car are tuned for a infinite amount of perfect conditions in there, hence why it will certainly skew your setups big time, for example, once you hit career mode / gp mode / online mode with your Time Trial setups, high tyre temps and wear, less aero and grip, sudden snap oversteer or massive understeer etc. could occur out of thin air, because of how differently the car behaves under real time conditions. So always use the actual Free Practice mode.

So, how can you know if you got the correct ride height?

-If your car is producing too many sparks, the ride height is too low.

-If you car is not producing any sparks at all, the ride height is too high.

(Unless you are driving in wet weather conditions, in that situation you will want to have a higher ride height)

Also, at default 6/6 the cars already have a natural "rake", which means that the front part of the car dips a bit lower than the rear, giving more ride height to the diffuser to maximize the aerodynamic peformance of the underfloor. Using a 8/6 can also be done without it making too big of a deal on the handling (especially in the wets you will want to have a bit higher values for the ride height to avoid aquaplaning and or spinning on kerbs). But the front being lower than the back is still the way to go in dry conditions for almost all situations (for example: 1/3, 2/4, 4/5 etc.).

Either way, there is a huge issue for the car ride height in F1 2019, as all the teams have different natural values at default 6/6, Ferrari / Williams / Renault / Red Bull usually do not produce any, or not enough, sparks when going with the lowest ride height possible, especially the Ferrari is the worst in that category and is known for not producing any sparks even at 1/1 ride height at some tracks. In the contrary, the Alfa Romeo and the Mercedes are producing a pyrofestival at 3/5 ride height (meanwhile, once again, Ferrari does not even have 1 single spark at 1/1 sometimes!!!). Unfortunately, Codemasters did not address this issue to be fixed, and rather gave a vague argument that it is fine how it is.

Imo, it would make much more sense to have all the cars have the exact same ride height values from the lowest 1/1 to the highest 11/11 so that they become homogenized to the official numbers for the ride height that have been legislated by the FIA, whilst giving each team a different standard ride height setup in the game if default is chosen (for example: Red Bull 3/7, Mercedes 3/5 etc.) to mimic real life more accurately.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 2/15/2020 at 11:29 PM, TheEmpireWasRight said:

Sadly there is no ingame telemetry or visual representation in the car setup menu to indicate any differences as of yet, despite people vigorously requesting such tools or features for years.

Only way to know for sure, is by testing car setups in free practice mode. Don't use Time Trial as your testing ground, the track and the car are tuned for a infinite amount of perfect conditions in there, hence why it will certainly skew your setups big time, for example, once you hit career mode / gp mode / online mode with your Time Trial setups, high tyre temps and wear, less aero and grip, sudden snap oversteer or massive understeer etc. could occur out of thin air, because of how differently the car behaves under real time conditions. So always use the actual Free Practice mode.

So, how can you know if you got the correct ride height?

-If your car is producing too many sparks, the ride height is too low.

-If you car is not producing any sparks at all, the ride height is too high.

(Unless you are driving in wet weather conditions, in that situation you will want to have a higher ride height)

Also, at default 6/6 the cars already have a natural "rake", which means that the front part of the car dips a bit lower than the rear, giving more ride height to the diffuser to maximize the aerodynamic peformance of the underfloor. Using a 8/6 can also be done without it making too big of a deal on the handling (especially in the wets you will want to have a bit higher values for the ride height to avoid aquaplaning and or spinning on kerbs). But the front being lower than the back is still the way to go in dry conditions for almost all situations (for example: 1/3, 2/4, 4/5 etc.).

Either way, there is a huge issue for the car ride height in F1 2019, as all the teams have different natural values at default 6/6, Ferrari / Williams / Renault / Red Bull usually do not produce any, or not enough, sparks when going with the lowest ride height possible, especially the Ferrari is the worst in that category and is known for not producing any sparks even at 1/1 ride height at some tracks. In the contrary, the Alfa Romeo and the Mercedes are producing a pyrofestival at 3/5 ride height (meanwhile, once again, Ferrari does not even have 1 single spark at 1/1 sometimes!!!). Unfortunately, Codemasters did not address this issue to be fixed, and rather gave a vague argument that it is fine how it is.

-----------------------------------------------

Imo, it would make much more sense to have all the cars have the exact same ride height values from the lowest 1/1 to the highest 11/11 so that they become homogenized to the official numbers for the ride height that have been legislated by the FIA, whilst giving each team a different standard ride height setup in the game if default is chosen (for example: Red Bull 3/7, Mercedes 3/5 etc.) to mimic real life more accurately.

Thanks for the reply. At least that explains it. And I so agree. This is a huge miss imo. As good as the game is, with all the extra game modes etc, the career and story modes that come with it, if you don't have these options in the game, you can't call yourself a simulator. Those telemetry graphs etc will give you the proper fine tuning equipment without going with nothing but 'best guess' telemetry. And it is of course very much possible. Microprose had that built in their F1 Grand Prix simulator series in the 1990's and early 2000's ... Also, especially with ride height. Isn't it still so that if you grind the plate too much you get disqualified? Since I am driving 100% everything practice, races etc I should've been disqualified on numerous occasions.

When are you bottoming out? guess --- When are you pushing down so hard your springs are not doing anything anymore? guess ...

I seriously hope they take the time to turn this into a full-on simulator, and not half Mario karts / half racing game (Of course having all the settings as options for people who like the more simpler modes ... leave them in by all means:) )

graphs.jpg

Edited by dhagens1965
  • Agree 1