Sign in to follow this  

Car tuning in multiplayer

@ChrisGrovesMCM, this is my summary of car tuning issues in GRID2019, with possible fixes.

I'm posting this to make sure, we all understand the problem, and I want to keep the discussion in one place, instead in scattering it in every other thread 🙂

GRID2 and GRID: AUTOSPORT did things in a proper way.

They completely separated singleplayer and multiplayer modes. Whole progression was separate - so if you wanted to only play single player - fine. If you never cared about singleplayer (like me) and only cared about multi - even better.

You could only race in multi, make money, and buy/upgrade/tune your cars. And it was awesome.

And then, GRID 2019 came. And Codies never bothered to keep single/multi as separate games. They merged everything, going back to Racedriver: GRID system.

I can understand why, and it does not bother me much, as I liked singleplayer in GRID2019 enough, so I was able to make money on it, buy all the cars, and now I'm set for the multi.

But then, there's car tuning system... that is unacceptable in its current form.

As the garage is shared between single and multi, car setups are also shared.

So if you tune your FD Civic for some very short singleplayer track (giving it a very short gear ratio), or you tune your muscle car for bump absorption and soft suspension... it will stay tuned like that.

And then, you want to use those tuned cars in a multiplayer event. You're going to use them, because you don't remember what you did to the setups.

Your FD will lose everything, because of the capped top speed. Your muscle car will wobble all over the place, because of the suspension setup.

And there's NOTHING you can do about it. Because in multi, you don't even get to see the tuning of the car.

You also can't change car tuning in any way, when in multiplayer.

If you don't remember your car setups (who does?) you're screwed in multi. You can of course go to your garage before joining a multi session and reset all the tunings to default. Going car by car. It will take you an hour or so, because garage system in GRID2019 is very poorly implemented, slow and clunky.

Now Codies, how do you fix this issue?

1. DISABLE ALL CAR TUNING FOR MULTIPLAYER MATCHES

The easiest solution, and not a bad one. Not only you're making sure that you're not choosing a car that has stupid tuning, but it equlizes al cars in the lobby. Noone will win the race, only because they went for the longer gear ration for a fast track. If you go back to singleplayer, your custom tuning for each car will be kept, but when you use this can in multi, it's tuning forced to a default one.

2. MAKE CAR TUNING VISIBLE AND EDITABLE IN A MULTIPLAYER LOBBY

You have a car choice screen in multi lobby, so you can enable this left trugger button for viewing/editing car tuning, just as in single player.

If the event is longer than 1 race, the tuning you choose will be the same for all the races in the event.

This is IMHO the best solution, if events contain fast and slow tracks, then you'll have to make important decisions regarding your gear ratios. Also, the whole system is already there, you just need to enable it for a multiplayer lobby.

3. MAKE CAR TUNING VISIBLE AND EDITABLE BEFORE EVERY RACE IN A MULTIPLAYER EVENT

This system was present in GRID: AUTOSPORT and it was great.

Instead of this unskippable 'grid presentation' screen that you get before every race, we could have a small menu, with car setup, game options, etc. This menu should have a timer (like 30 seconds), giving players the time to check their setups before the race starts. This way, you could prepare your setup for every race in the event, at the cost of slower race starts.

I don't really care which solution you choose, any of those will fix the issue. I'd go with solution 2, because it's very easy to implement. Solution 1 is even easier, and still pretty good, solution 3 would require some extra subsystem in the game.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this issue will be resolved soon 🙂

• Agree 3

Autosport tuning you had a good idea what it would do to the car, with 2019 tuning it feels to me like random stabs in the dark as to what effect it will have. What was wrong with the Autosport tuning areas?

53 minutes ago, GavinMac said:

Autosport tuning you had a good idea what it would do to the car, with 2019 tuning it feels to me like random stabs in the dark as to what effect it will have. What was wrong with the Autosport tuning areas?

Autosport had some tuning quirks, like 'universal' setups that were always better than the default one, with no disadvantages.

And some tuning options seemed to do nothing, or work in reverse to what they were supposed to do.

Otherwise, it was a good system.

I don't mind the system used in Grid2019, I just hate the way car tuning interacts with multiplayer, and I find it insulting.

You can tune the car before every race in SP, yet in MP you cant even see what tuning is set or change the tuning. Note you cannot tell what exact tracks the session leader has chosen for the MP session, only the general location of each track. You need to know the exact track variation to pick the right setup (gearing mainly).

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, django|UKMD said:

You can tune the car before every race in SP, yet in MP you cant even see what tuning is set or change the tuning. Note you cannot tell what exact tracks the session leader has chosen for the MP session, only the general location of each track. You need to know the exact track variation to pick the right setup (gearing mainly).

Good point about the track visibility for the event!

I like solution 2 as it uses the same screen when you visit the garage from the main menu (press LT to adjust car setup) so it's an elegant solution while in the skirmish mode.

Solution 1 sounds nice to me as well, mostly from a public lobby point of view. There is something to be said about everyone driving with the same car setup.

Solution 3 will take more work as you said and also not a big fan of further increasing the downtime between different races. Finding a balanced setup for all the races in an event (solution 2) also sounds more fun to me, cause you will have different results between races depending on how people set up their cars.

Edited by RipHawk

Hey all - discussing this community request with the rest of the team today, and will certainly bring these ideas forward to them 👍

• Agree 1

Aaaand here are the results from that discussion: 

The whole team is certainly aware internally of the requests to have tuning within Multiplayer modes and events. We have a couple of potential additions/tools we could test out to add more tuning options and overall control over car performance into MP; the next step is to test out those options, see which works best and which is the most achievable to implement, then push ahead with adding it.

Very unlikely at this stage that we'll have an addition like this in the Season 2 update, which is being finalised right now. We're looking at a later update for this, but as it's a priority, it would be in the first update possible.

I'll be getting updates on this week-to-week so when progress is made, I'll let you know 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 3