Sign in to follow this  

Williams Tyre Degregation

Did 3 seasons with Red Bull, got them to be the fastest car then moved to Williams (slowest car in my career). Now when I do races my tyres degrade like crazy. With Red Bull i could do the tyre practice challenge at most tracks. With Williams as soon as I've done a couple of corners it goes to red and never moves back up. In races if I'm on softs my tires are on 70% deg in less then 4 laps (I do 25% races). 

It's really messing up the experience for me because everytime I'm about to get a good result I lose several places in the last couple of laps because my tires are so bad. I never experienced this with Red Bull. I play 90% difficulty and won 2 championships with Red Bull. Is this a bug? 

Edited by 1henryw

Perhaps because the Red Bull is a better car to drive, it was easier to control and therefore easier on the tyres, not to mention most likely just being a better car in general in terms of tech.

Going by my experience of Williams in season 1, it feels relatively heavy compared to the higher tier cars (even the Alfa Romeo feels amazing to drive compared to the Williams), so the weight - and a driving style used to a better car - could be having a knock-on effect on tyre wear. Obvious thing would be to put points into Chassis: Tyre Wear, and perhaps Weight Reduction. And try adapting the setup to suit the tyres (softer roll bars and suspension, more positive camber).

Edited by s00zster
  • Like 1

It is quite frustrating. My best result in the Williams was 14th. Lost out twice on points finishes because my tyres suddenly fell apart. Will try and fiddle around with setups like you said.

Edited by 1henryw

Hi @1henryw,

Maybe the Red Bull you had had lots of Tyre Wear upgrades compared to the Williams you are in now. 

Also, like @s00zster said, the Williams and Red Bull will be very different cars from the start of the game, even without upgrades. Try focusing on Tyre Wear and Weight Reduction upgrades as they might help the Williams feel a little lighter and be kinder to the tyres.  Maybe even try a strategy with the harder tyres if tyre wear is so poor 👍

From what it sounds like, its just the difference in cars from top to bottom of the grid and doesn't sound like a bug to me. 

Are you using the default setup in the game or did you use a setup you got online for. The Williams car, specifically a YouTube one? Or did you get a setup for the Red Bull then just copy the settings to the Williams as it worked well for you? 

Reason I'm asking is that most online setups are good for one thing only: hotlaps/TT. If you use them in any other session they destroy the tires. I had exactly the same problem with the McLaren. To fix it I set camber and toe in to a more neutral position. They make the car more responsive but have a huge, unrealistic I must add, hit on tire wear. I could not pass the tire wear program at all, you could see the graphic go into the red the whole time even in a straight line! 

Even if you didn't use an online setup or one downloaded from ghost in TT (now that's how to destroy your tires!!) I bet you can reduce tire wear by tweaking the setup, particularly toe in /out and camber. 

Dont forget also that the Williams was a dog of a car in 2019..... Good luck polishing a ****!