Sign in to follow this  

Why "New England" and not "Washington"?

The roads on the New England, USA stages were discovered to actually be located near the North Snoqualmie River, Washington. (see Martin Fiala's excellent research here: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dirt-rally-2-stages-in-real-life.167966/).

As a resident of Washington, fairly familiar with the area, and having taken several motorcycle rides through this region, I always thought these stages looked suspiciously familiar, even before finding Martin's research.

Why was this location named "New England" when it's definitely Washington?  Even the names of the stages match the names of the roads in Washington e.g. Fury Lake Road, North Fork [Snoqualmie River] Pass.  It's almost as if it was decided later in development to rename the location to New England, or it was some kind of mistake.

Discuss.  

Edited by ApexAzimuth

Why "Catamarca province", really is "Córdoba province" in Argentina...is the same 

It's a good point actually. I can understand it to some extent in locations that are in the WRC (Argentina, Spain, Australia) Because they want to be in the clear on the whole "mimicking wrc" deal. But it makes less sense on the locations that aren't in the WRC. Especially USA. Maybe they wanted all the locations to be different for the sake of consistency

The locations of the individual rallies are described completely inconsistently, anyway. Baumholder and Jämsä are towns, Monaro is a county, Catamarca is a federal state, New England consists of several federal states and Ribadelles doesn't even exist.

Edited by RUF98

It's pretty much due to licensing. If the bomb that can explode is a massive nuke, you may want to stay as far as possible from the blast zone, even if you're already out of the danger zone, in theory.

It's kind of dumb that this whole problem has to exist. I mean, aren't these stages just public roads and, therefore, public domain? I can understand the WRC copyrighting something like 'El Condor', because it's a name given by an event associated with the championship. But copyrighting the road itself? Did the WRC buy the land? You should be able to use the road under any other name, just don't call it 'El Condor'.

Edited by warpengage
  • Agree 3

@warpengage unfortunately, lawyers look at it as too similar and will argue that it is confusing the consumer.  I am sure there are precedents set and some famous cases that have argued this.   No matter who wins in a leagle case there are fees to pay by both parties.   Ultimately the lawyers are whom really make out.

@ApexAzimuth I agree or they could have driven a bit farther and done the OTR roads - the twisty ones from 2013 era, i think these where called the hood river stages.  It really is a picturesque location there, with Mt Hood in the background.

If in fact they were going to call it New England, they could have done the Concord Pond location since its so famous for its jumps.  

That’s interesting information but I doubt anyone is too concerned about it outside of a handful of people in Washington state.  :classic_tongue:  Or vice verse.  They could have named it Washington and used New England roads, etc.  It’s not like F1 where licensing and recreation of real tracks/locations as seen on television is important.

@BadFlounder noticed your avatar... so you would be ok if they said it was Pikes Peak, but modeled Mt Washington in New Hampshire?

😂

On 1/21/2020 at 8:21 PM, warpengage said:

It's pretty much due to licensing. If the bomb that can explode is a massive nuke, you may want to stay as far as possible from the blast zone, even if you're already out of the danger zone, in theory.

It's kind of dumb that this whole problem has to exist. I mean, aren't these stages just public roads and, therefore, public domain? I can understand the WRC copyrighting something like 'El Condor', because it's a name given by an event associated with the championship. But copyrighting the road itself? Did the WRC buy the land? You should be able to use the road under any other name, just don't call it 'El Condor'.

I agree it's kind of dumb. If you look at various F1 and racing titles, they all use the same tracks at some point or another, eg Le Mans (Project Cars, Forza, Grid original) and Silverstone can be found on F1 games and others. There's a licence to pay obviously but no game has the monopoly on the tracks, just differences in renderings. Dirt should be able to use the real names for tracks.