DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
GRID Season 3 - Coming April 15th Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Request: Proper trackside camera without the Codemasters™ artistic camera

I am looking forward to Grid Autosport. But please, oh please Codies, add a proper trackside camera. One that would emulate the camera you would see from a TV viewer perspective. Even in the F1 games, the trackside camera is still jumbled up with camera spinning around the car, which IMO kills the emulation that you are watching a race from TV. 

Nah, lets keep wootin like its the 90s'.  Just kidding, and I agree, it looks outdated and ridiculous when you compare it to other titles (and even if you don't).  If an 'aerial' camera is insisted on, then let it be a realistic one from a crane or helicam.

IIRC the excuse CM used to give use for the F1 games is that trackside cameras are problematic because of the amount of stuff they have to draw every frame—potentially every car on the track, plus more of the background and scenery than you’d see from most of the other cameras they do use. They just couldn’t draw all that fast enough, except from one or two carefully-chosen positions on some tracks, on last-gen consoles at least.

That is kinda weird, since there are quite a number of last, last gen games that have normal trackside cameras without any problems. They just lessen the draw distance.

That is kinda weird, since there are quite a number of last, last gen games that have normal trackside cameras without any problems. They just lessen the draw distance.
Every graphics engine has its strengths and weaknesses; I guess this is just one of Ego's weaknesses.

Every graphics engine has its strengths and weaknesses; I guess this is just one of Ego's weaknesses.
very true

I like the different car views that are automatically cycled through in replay mode but I hate how short they stay on each camera view. It would be great if the replay options included a setting for adjusting how many seconds before the camera view changes.

It would be great to have replay saves and camera settings like GTL and other SimBin games with an ability to toggle between that and the highly entertaining GRID replays that I associate with the game.  Not being able to save them has always been a bummer.  Too ambitious to be expected in the new Codies games I guess.

Frank

We've got quite a few motorsport style replay cameras in Autosport - helicam is particularly awesome.

tbh I don't find anything wrong  with the camera's myself but I think it would be better if the cameras were focused on the race in general rather than just you as in the hero driver here and have the attention  switch randomly throughout the field to other battles going on other than that I find the replays fine. |his is a common theme running through all the CM racing games though

tbh I don't find anything wrong  with the camera's myself but I think it would be better if the cameras were focused on the race in general rather than just you as in the hero driver here and have the attention  switch randomly throughout the field to other battles going on other than that I find the replays fine. |his is a common theme running through all the CM racing games though
to be fair though its a common theme through a lot of racing games.

When I watch a SimBin replay I always spend some time with the camera on the next car behind.  But truthfully, the replays I watch the most are GRID replays - still.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.

We've got quite a few motorsport style replay cameras in Autosport - helicam is particularly awesome.
Cool! thanks for the reply. This makes making race recording easier, especially online races

to be fair though its a common theme through a lot of racing games.

very true

really looking forward to helicam. It is a real racers cam, great for checking you have the racing line right and also great for seeing overtaking and people exploiting a weakness. I suppose I am being a bit ambitious in hoping you might be able to swing the view around a bit. I was playing grid the other day in SF and wondering how the heli is going to move around all those skyscrapers ...

Are there any other games out there that have that sort of view ? None that I can think of although I haven't tried that many.

dirt3joe said:

really looking forward to helicam. It is a real racers cam, great for checking you have the racing line right and also great for seeing overtaking and people exploiting a weakness. I suppose I am being a bit ambitious in hoping you might be able to swing the view around a bit. I was playing grid the other day in SF and wondering how the heli is going to move around all those skyscrapers ...

Are there any other games out there that have that sort of view ? None that I can think of although I haven't tried that many.
Pretty sure there are a few replay cams in our F1 games that are similar, just to be clear though we haven't just copy pasted them accross. These were built for Autosport 

lol i agree, also would it be possible to add like a "go pro" type angles? that'd be neato