@UP100

Interesting read about the quality of beta testing. I dont think today's QA testing bears any resemblance to the testing of say 20 years ago when the mantra "it will be ready when it's ready" was still common in the industry. It seems more on par with limited access than a high quality test phase. Almost like the way movies are shown to preview audiences to guage reactions towards the end of production. I believe they are looking for either a) major glitches that have been missed during development as they require a certain number of players before they become noticeable and b) minor issues that are already known about by devs that might not actually be an issue for the general public.

I DO wish the beta was initiated much earlier and was more thorough but I'm definitely pleased they still do it at all in the days of devs releasing an unfinished product and letting the huge wave of initial buyers test it for them. I will apply again if it happens this year and will approach the task in a technically proficient manner even if many others don't take it so seriously. Seeing as the product is geared more and more towards casual players each year I'm sure that welcoming casual players into the beta is very useful as they will focus on issues serious testers might not think is important. Such as the quality of assists, lobby performance, camera views and general playability. Serious testers may focus more on track accuracy, gear ratios, setup performance, accurate handling cockpit accuracy, tire models etc etc.

• Like 2

@UP100 You pretty much nailed what should be required for being a beta tester, but @LSKone has a very valid point (making you both right).  I'm one of the very few who actually worked at a software company, and had exposure to software testing.  I'm also able to narrow down a problem to find the crux of it.  But I understand that the vast majority do not share my experience, so their feedback would be given in whatever manner they can put it.

I think what Codemasters should focus on when choosing the beta testers is, will the testers provide useful feedback?  How to determine that?  Well, the idea of an application (UP100 mentioned), with a narrative of why you should qualify would weed out a great deal of the riff raff.

Those who wouldn't bother giving feedback would probably not fill out the application, and if they do, they probably won't go into much detail.

Those who can't write in English would be easy to filter out, as would those who just can't write in any language.  And for those who argue that the Codies could use Google translate, no.  Feedback of this nature requires accuracy, and if the translation is off, the Codies go looking in the wrong direction.

• Like 2

@sloppysmusic

I think that there is one thing the beta has succeeded over the years and something that many people forget when we talk about the beta: The gameplay. This is actually something that a QA beta test cannot replace as feedback about gameplay isn't really about testing the game, but how the people potentially buying the game feel about the game and it's balancing etc. There was even a year when we had quite a significant say in the handling model! Though stuff like this tend to cause huge arguments.

I guess betas are usually done so late because of how it requires quite a bit of workforce behind it. From directors monitoring the feedback and developers having to build a beta version of the game for us, there is a lot of stuff that goes behind the scenes. There are also stuff with sponsors etc. For example the older betas didn't even feature the new cars!

I think you'll be providing feedback if you get in, so that's a plus for you at least! Remember that the "Why do you want to be a beta tester?" question is the most important, and I used to write an essay into that field! At least it got me through three times in a row 😁

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Remember that the "Why do you want to be a beta tester?" question is the most important, and I used to write an essay into that field! 

Me too! I treated it like I would have treated the same question on a job application form! In fact all that stuff is still in my profile so quite possibly I will just use the exact same 'essay', as nothing has changed much for me since last year except doing extensive project cars diff/brake tuning work and publishing the results. Whole different kettle of fish though that is!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Me too! I treated it like I would have treated the same question on a job application form! In fact all that stuff is still in my profile so quite possibly I will just use the exact same 'essay', as nothing has changed much for me since last year except doing extensive project cars diff/brake tuning work and publishing the results. Whole different kettle of fish though that is!

The terms and conditions of that beta are still making it really hard to check your own activity on specific resolutions! I always have two windows side by side on PC and the terms are longer than what I can see at once 😁

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, UP100 said:

The terms and conditions of that beta are still making it really hard to check your own activity on specific resolutions! I always have two windows side by side on PC and the terms are longer than what I can see at once 😁

Glad to see I'm not the only one actually reading every word until full understanding is reached! Ctrl + - to decrease text size!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, UP100 said:

I don't really even know why we do the beta. Most of us wouldn't even pass the requirements for temporary job as a QA technician at Codies, so the beta is usually just carnage.

• The small few will break all rules and leak everything about the game trying to hide it as much as possible
  • The other few will just play the game and gives no feedback at all
  • The most (of the people that provide bug reports) will provide horrible quality bug reports (worse than current Technical Assistance reports!) that are usually just duplicates of already existing threads
  • The few will be able to provide proper feedback with "okay"-to-"good"-quality reports. Thanks those who've done so!

Then there are also the guys that go insulting other members and Codemasters because they didn't get in the beta, somehow thinking that they're better than everyone else...

Instead of having a "Why should we pick you?" text form that most will write a word into (I write some hundreds usually), we should basically have these as the requirements:

• Capable of writing English to an acceptable degree (as in, can be understood in most situations)
  • Understanding of game development and how games and engines are usually structured in order to be able to distinquish what should be included in a bug report.
  • Alternatively, understanding of QA jobs and the ways the technicians work and report bugs.
  • Capable of actually trying to test and reproduce issues!

Here are the Codemasters' requirements for a temporary job as a QA Technician (but obviously not everything is said there, as how you conduct yourself in interviews also matters)

image.png.fdf0e8f65f1d388a0096121f30404528.png

Are you sure about that.

If you make a game for 3 years old then dont expect people with high IQ. 

Personally its common sense.  Use people who run leagues. These people test and test and many use wheels and promote f1 .

You dont need a degree. 

Or just get SMS to get involved. Hey presto great tyre model .

I know sony insists on there own beta testing and they are paid.

We need passionate people to test. 

On 1 beta test session we didn't have enough people to test MULTIPLAYER and were told this would be the  biggest and most people ever to take part in beta testing. 

Guess what they reverted back to 300 people on each pc and consoles.  900 people  .

Just get Ian bell the Sim genius to do f12020 .

Job done.

Where do I sign up. As I am a professor at the  university of life  .the best teaching academy in the world. 

Sorry UP100 

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 2

Hello! I've been dealing with your games since your first game in 2009. I've been playing this type of games in general since 2007! I have many hours of play, and there are countless numbers in thinking about the right car settings! I believe that as a longtime member of this guild I am as prepared as possible to receive your trust! I think I have gained enough experience and will make very good feedback! I also want to say that I intend to take this profession seriously by creating channels in various video platforms and thus help you at least a little!

Sincerely, Georgi Nikolov

Ganz kurze Frage wo sehe ich wenn ich eine Beta bekomme PS4 oder auf die Benachrichtigung wo kann man die runterladen liebe Grüße

I'll lock this thread as we now have an official thread for the F1 2020 beta 🙂