Jump to content
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

less wide stages/more tight like the real ones..

Recommended Posts

the stages could be more accurate and correct for a harder challenge!

 

Edited by wishb0ne
LINK
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beware onboard cameras with a wide FoV making roads appear much narrower than they actually are...

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

Beware onboard cameras with a wide FoV making roads appear much narrower than they actually are...

hmm i know but in the wrc 8 the roads are pretty narrow and tighter then dirt rallies...you can tell the difference in size!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you forget one thing, the modern WRC (380 HP) are wider than the wrc 2 . 

honnestly  i don't like the new WRC because the car have lot grip , lot aero part  and same speed max than 300 hp wrc  

i hope for  the future wrc have  more power 600 hp or more  and more speed max ( exemple 280 KM/h or more speed max ) because this car in dry tarmac is boring and when i see this car on tarmac i have impression to see F1 

  • Disagree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WRC 8 uses mostly made-up roads, made to have the feel of the country their are set in. DiRT Rally 2.0 uses almost entirely real roads which, if they are wide in real life, they'll be wide in-game.

Just because it's a rally stage, it isn't always 1-inch-clearance kind of narrow. Case in point:

VVvw-20150730-2216.jpg

Edited by warpengage
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@elrojodp8

 

wrc 380 HP  vs RX 600 HP

0:40     vs       0:52

1:42    vs       1:55 and 3:10 

 

so my response to your disagree and 380 hp wrc 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gk9147 said:

so my response to your disagree and 380 hp wrc 

 

I absolutely disagree with you, but the really funny thing is that my height is 2 meters! HAHAHAHA

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, elrojodp8 said:

I absolutely disagree with you, 

you disagree but the video proof the WRC 380 HP is very very limited 

if you listen the motor of  new  WRC 380 hp  when the car start the drift  the motor is on maximum RPM that proof if neuville change the gear he no have power to continu the drift 

with RX if he go the next gear the car have no problem the drift continu 

 

now ask a modern pilot to drive like ragnotti or vatanen with historic cars and reverse ask ragnotti and vatanen to drive a modern car, I think that the drivers of historic cars will not have problems to adapt with modern cars

ragnotti said "the cars have too many technology developments (less steering wheel angles, lot  aero, etc.) so is remove the show at the rally". Advantage pilots frustrate without skill and leave the pilots with skill on the side with limitations of settings and others .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gk9147 said:

you forget one thing, the modern WRC (380 HP) are wider than the wrc 2 . 

honnestly  i don't like the new WRC because the car have lot grip , lot aero part  and same speed max than 300 hp wrc  

i hope for  the future wrc have  more power 600 hp or more  and more speed max ( exemple 280 KM/h or more speed max ) because this car in dry tarmac is boring and when i see this car on tarmac i have impression to see F1 

Have you seen those beasts go flat out on stages with your own eyes as a spectator?

Because if you have, you know that they are extremely spectacular when going through corners. The size of their cahones must be enormous.

I saw Neuville go flat out on the narrow stages in the Ypres Rally last year. The car is as wide as the road itself and the speed with which he went through corners, taking big cuts on the inside, pfew! That was insane! 😱

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wishb0ne said:

the stages could be more accurate and correct for a harder challenge!

 

The width of the roads they recreated is accurate. There are plenty of places (corner combinations) where the roads are quite narrow and can cause massive problems or crashes.

Look at some footage of the stages they recreated in the game. I can't post a video at the moment but there are plenty around. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Have you seen those beasts go flat out on stages with your own eyes as a spectator?

Because if you have, you know that they are extremely spectacular when going through corners. The size of their cahones must be enormous.

I saw Neuville go flat out on the narrow stages in the Ypres Rally last year. The car is as wide as the road itself and the speed with which he went through corners, taking big cuts on the inside, pfew! That was insane! 😱

basically you ask a forkflit driver to position themselves well, and for the sound , if you have a short gear your engine is always time in high  RPM so you have always time huge sound motor ,clearly not impressive 

the only good with 380 HP WRC is kick when the car accelerate  and concentrate for pace note because is fast    

avoid kill spectator in tight  road  with group B in H pattern

 

  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gk9147 said:

basically you ask a forkflit driver to position themselves well, and for the sound , if you have a short gear your engine is always time in high  RPM so you have always time huge sound motor ,clearly not impressive 

the only good with 380 HP WRC is kick when the car accelerate  and concentrate for pace note because is fast    

avoid kill spectator in tight  road  with group B in H pattern

 

I guess you haven't seen them in action up close then...

Not sure what your purpose was with the first video. The second video is Ragnotti showing off and not trying to be as quickly as he can, which is the point of rallying/racing especially at the top level where the WRC's are used. The last two videos explain exactly what was wrong back in the day and clearly show you the reason why the cars were banned and strict rules were set out for spectators. So again, no idea what the point of those were either to be honest unless you want to get back to 'no rules' which will eventually result in numerous people being killed or injured and another class of rally cars being banned.

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

I guess you haven't seen them in action up close then...

Not sure what your purpose was with the first video. The second video is Ragnotti showing off and not trying to be as quickly as he can, which is the point of rallying/racing especially at the top level where the WRC's are used. The last two videos explain exactly what was wrong back in the day and clearly show you the reason why the cars were banned and strict rules were set out for spectators. So again, no idea what the point of those were either to be honest unless you want to get back to 'no rules' which will eventually result in numerous people being killed or injured and another class of rally cars being banned.

and when ragnotti was clio kitcar because he was doing the show and staying competitive. the 2 videos of ragnotti proof twith all cars  is possible to have skill (I didn’t say that everyone can do it)
the group B were removed (yes you are right) because of the spectator's death (yes is not intelligent to go in midle of the road) and pilot (frustrate not to be the first so it drives faster it is logic).
and  because the cars were not solid  too


the problem is that these cars were ahead of the power compared to its generation (a lot of power, a lot of control (except mechanical problems which could lead to serious accidents and safety problems too (car in fire) , destroyed car and others))
 

when group B was stopped, the accidents continued with other categories, a journalist  (on old documentary) who said "they removed group B but there are categories which have no element of secure but which continues in competitions "it is not very logic
so accident continu after group B era , group B was removed because it was the most famous discipline of the rally "that's my opinion"

now we are in 2020, security has been improved (a lot)and lot maniability and other   , but the speed max and power  not very lot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gk9147 said:

and when ragnotti was clio kitcar because he was doing the show and staying competitive. the 2 videos of ragnotti proof twith all cars  is possible to have skill (I didn’t say that everyone can do it)
the group B were removed (yes you are right) because of the spectator's death (yes is not intelligent to go in midle of the road) and pilot (frustrate not to be the first so it drives faster it is logic).
and  because the cars were not solid  too


the problem is that these cars were ahead of the power compared to its generation (a lot of power, a lot of control (except mechanical problems which could lead to serious accidents and safety problems too (car in fire) , destroyed car and others))
 

when group B was stopped, the accidents continued with other categories, a journalist  (on old documentary) who said "they removed group B but there are categories which have no element of secure but which continues in competitions "it is not very logic
so accident continu after group B era , group B was removed because it was the most famous discipline of the rally "that's my opinion"

now we are in 2020, security has been improved (a lot)and lot maniability and other   , but the speed max and power  not very lot 

Top speed or the power might not have been heightened but that is not necessary because the aerodynamical kits get you similar results. They don't focus on outright straight line speed but cornering speed. Compared to previous generation WRC's, the latest generation WRC's go around corners exponentionally quicker while keeping the car more stable and controlable.

In other words, the cars go a lot quicker while at the same time keeping the drivers and spectators safer. That's a win-win for everyone clearly, right?   

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

less wide stages/more tight like the real ones

yes, what a pity Codemasters didn't put actual, real stages in the game 

/sarcasm

Edited by Tranzitive
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Top speed or the power might not have been heightened but that is not necessary because the aerodynamical kits get you similar results. They don't focus on outright straight line speed but cornering speed. Compared to previous generation WRC's, the latest generation WRC's go around corners exponentionally quicker while keeping the car more stable and controlable.

In other words, the cars go a lot quicker while at the same time keeping the drivers and spectators safer. That's a win-win for everyone clearly, right?   

This is precisely the problem what is the point of driving at maximum in all fast corners, none for me it is not impressive, it is enough just to be well placed. especially since with this generation everyone drives the same. which spoils the diversity of driving.
now my idea increase the max speed and the power could
- have a gearbox strategy

example : you have lot long straight line  so you need more speed   you the speed max in maximum  280 

               you have  lot technic turn  so your low the gear box( example 220

with 380 HP ( is always time same speed  with litle straight line around 180    on very long straight line around more 200  km/h( and you have impression the motor want broken )  total joke )

 

 

-strategy  driving style 

example : you have  stage with lot hairpin ( not hairpin , straight line , hairpin  i said really chain hairpin   hairpin hairpin hairpin ...)

             with very high power car maybe slide or drift driving ( in medium tyre)  was more faster( or same time ) than grip  driving ( in soft tyre )

   and so you see more  different driving  style 

with wrc 308 hp all driver drive the same 

- increase the angle of rotation of the steering wheel ( not a lot )

increase the angle of rotation of the steering wheel, this could increase the use of hand brakes (for those who do not like to slip), and maybe weight transfer for those who have more skill
(a real balance between grip and drift)
because with 380 HP often times you have hairpin  or chain hairpin but the car  is very  reactive and the angle of rotation steering wheel is very short so no need drift or other  , very boring 

 

and for the spectators it is especially the safety regulations and safety distances which have been serious now.but it should have been done before because we don't need technologymeans to keep spectators off the road

 

sécurity of spectator :  yes 

speed of the car : no  because drive max speed around 200 km/h  i m not impresive

a show on tarmac  : clearly no , only grip  and big accelerate very very  boring 

luckily on montecarlo you have  snow and ice,wet and mudy part 

 

the video when the journalist talk for accident

1!15 crash     5 injured 1 ead     7:42  1 injured 1 dead  journalist talk of security 

 

journalist  said "on the one hand, we know that the group B were banned because they were too dangerous, on the other, it is a group N so a standard car and that an accident is part of the risk of the race, there are in the languages of the international sports power, a contradiction that thrills"

 

  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tranzitive said:

yes, what a pity Codemasters didn't put actual, real stages in the game 

/sarcasm

Stages aren't completely 1:1 for obvious reasons(not laserscanned) so there are surely sections that are wider here and there, but overall they are good representations.

The downside of Codies one stage per country approach is stage variation.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah some of the stages might be a little bit wider than in real life, but overall i think people tend to overexaggerate the narrowness of rally stages. general impression on the internet seems to be that rally stages are just barely wide enough to fit a car and a pubic hair on, but in reality some of them are actually pretty wide.

for example, the OP mentions Monte Carlo. well, here's some footage from the current rally Monte Carlo, and you can see that in a lot of places the road is at least two car widths wide. and this is with the modern WRC cars which are pretty wide to begin with due to the body kits. check out the video from around 1:19 for an example of how wide the roads are in places:

https://youtu.be/doBh1seZcvU?t=79

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure these stages are laser scanned.  There are variations, but the majority of the topography is 1:1.   It's exceptionally difficult to model a location that closely to real life without impeccable measurements, and using a point cloud from a scanner is the most efficient way to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ApexAzimuth said:

I'm pretty sure these stages are laser scanned.  There are variations, but the majority of the topography is 1:1.   It's exceptionally difficult to model a location that closely to real life without impeccable measurements, and using a point cloud from a scanner is the most efficient way to do that.

They are not scanned. Photographed and good old tape measure by the devs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bogani said:

They are not scanned. Photographed and good old tape measure by the devs. 

Speaking as someone who does road design professionally, I can assure you that tape measurements are not even close to enough to getting that kind of accuracy.  I'm positive some kind of laser measurement was used to build these stages that close to real life.  Whether it's an aerial scan, a ground scan, or a topographic survey, it was not done with photos and tape measurements.  Also should mention that the time it would take to get that many measurements manually would make this option less accurate and more expensive than doing a laser scan that takes a fraction of the time.

-Pay 5 people for hundreds of hours to measure manually and get inaccurate and erroneous data with a tape measure, or
-Pay a survey crew of 2 or 3 with some expensive equipment for a dozen or so hours to get measurements that are hundreds of times more accurate.

The choice is pretty easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ApexAzimuth said:

Speaking as someone who does road design professionally, I can assure you that tape measurements are not even close to enough to getting that kind of accuracy.  I'm positive some kind of laser measurement was used to build these stages that close to real life.  Whether it's an aerial scan, a ground scan, or a topographic survey, it was not done with photos and tape measurements.  Also should mention that the time it would take to get that many measurements manually would make this option less accurate and more expensive than doing a laser scan that takes a fraction of the time.

-Pay 5 people for hundreds of hours to measure manually and get inaccurate and erroneous data with a tape measure, or
-Pay a survey crew of 2 or 3 with some expensive equipment for a dozen or so hours to get measurements that are hundreds of times more accurate.

The choice is pretty easy.

https://imgur.com/a/K6Dd3X1

JustBigLee was on the Dirt team at the time when he made this post. It's a fact that the stages are not scanned in any shape or form. Hand crafted with reference photos and manual measurements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×