New DR driver - looking for the best CMR game to play alongside

Hi, I’m new to rally games and am enjoying getting slowly into DR, loving (and slightly daunted by) the realistic physics. 

I’m also looking for a more arcade-leaning rally game to get into alongside DR to get a feel of the full spectrum of what rally games are about. I collect CRTs & old games & happen to have CMR 1, 2, 3 & 4. 

I have dirt 4 but haven’t played it much. For a sim game I feel I might as well embrace full sim with DR - and I can’t help feeling that the ‘gamer’ mode in D4 perhaps isn’t a truly arcade-leaning handling model, but more likely just the sim model with lots of assists and tweaks to make it easier as opposed to being built from the ground up for arcade-sim style handling. 

My question is: am I right in that I should go back to one of the CMR games for a purer arcade-leaning  experience? I keep hearing people say that the CMR games are better for this than dirt 1,2,3 etc.

Lastly, which CMR game should I get into seeing as I have the choice of the first 4? A lot of people seem to think 2.0 was the pinnacle, but I’d be interested to hear any opinions..

Edited by Andykara2003
Correction

i have been playing rally games for probably close to 20 years and Dirt 2 (on PS3/PC/Xbox 360) still remains the best arcade-style rally game i've ever played. the stages are great, the graphics still actually hold up well, especially on PC, and it has a large selection of cars and disciplines. 

• Agree 1

@Andykara2003 for arcade rally game, you may start with Dirt 4 since you have it already. I have found that learning course in DIrt Academy is the best to start if you want to get used to Dirt physics model. You may also play career there. The career mode and team management in Dirt 4 is more fun, but automatically generated trucks get boring very soon. Rally cross and Land rush are OK, unless you get used not to stay on the way of AI opponents. Then you switch to Dirt Rally 2.0 will be pretty seamless. Dirt Rally 2015 is harder then Dirt Rally 2.0, because cars are lighter and tends to jump high on every stone. Dirt 2 and 3 are fun too, unless you can find a distributive or DVD.

11 hours ago, tbtstt said:

I agree with @Tranzitive: for pure arcade Dirt 2 gets my vote every time. 

was a good while since i played Dirt 2 but isnt it more like "simcade"? A pure arcade game is something like Ridge Racer in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

was a good while since i played Dirt 2 but isnt it more like "simcade"? A pure arcade game is something like Ridge Racer in my opinion.

Oh yeah, its not a "pure" arcade racing game, but I personally think DiRT 2 is the most arcade game of the series. 

Just now, tbtstt said:

Oh yeah, its not a "pure" arcade racing game, but I personally think DiRT 2 is the most arcade game of the series. 

How does it compare to the old ones that OP mention in the OP? I mean the Mcrae series? I played loads of the 1st one but only tried cmr 2.0 at a friends house. Since OP mention both CRT and the very first games he might want the best in that category aswell (and not just Dirt 1, 2 and 3). Dirt 3 was the the first game i fired up when i got my first steering wheel (well i had some **** wheel for psx and played nascar :D) and it felt much easier than Dirt 2, maybe better wheel implementation. I leave the rest of the discussion up to you guys that have actually played the rest of the series. 🙂

For the sim side of the spectrum, rather buy DIRT Rally 2.0 instead. The physics are better than DR1 and at the same time easier (imo) to handle with more cars and locations (if you get the DLC). Next to that you got Dirtfish, so you can try and throw around the cars to learn them.

DiRT 4 I not really find a good game and maybe it's better to avoid (imo). The (rally) physics seem a step away from simulation and overall i didn't hear positive things about it. The only thing maybe you can use it for is for the rally-school. Rallycross was a step forward compared to the first DR. I do miss some Rallycross Supercars from that game, namely the Marklund Polo, M-Sport Focus and the DS3. But again, DiRT Rally 2.0 is much more complete both with Rally and Rallycross.

Now for the arcade side. I don't know DiRT 2, as I not own that. But I do own DIRT 3 and i really liked the game at that time. Last year I returned once and my mind didn't cope with its physics anymore, so that was interesting. But overall it is a very diverse game with Battersea joyride, Gymkhana, Rally, Rallycross, Trailblazer (kinda hillblimb), head-to-head, splitscreen possibility.

Yeah, I definitely agree with @JorritVD concerning DR1 & DR2.0: DR2.0 is the superior game in my eyes and, although there are a couple of cars (and Pikes Peak) missing, DR2.0 is the one I would opt for. 

DiRT 4 did, in my eyes, get a lot of things right (4WD handling was generally better and the rallycross was much improved), but it seemed to struggle in other areas, most notably RWD handling. 

I really enjoyed DiRT 1 at the time but, although DiRT 2 seemed more like an arcade game, the car behavior was far more natural in my personal opinion. The presentation of DiRT 2 was a bit too "extreme" at times, so I preferred the tone of DiRT 3 over 2 (plus the handling seemed better to me in D3, as cars didn't slide as much).  

As for the classic CMR titles I'd say CMR 2.0 and CMR 2005 are my picks of the series as, to me, they each represent the pinnacle CMR game for their respective generation of console. CMR were "sims" of their era but were (obviously) not as intricate as DiRT Rally: I definitely wouldn't consider any of them arcade games. 

Thanks so much all for the replies. I’ve bought dirt 2 for the PS3 & I think I’ll give DR2 a go as well - might as well keep up with the most modern sim handling model. On the pure arcade rally side, the Sega rally series seems to be the way to go, although apparently the first game is the best, but is basic career wise, being an actual arcade game...

I don’t know if you own a PS2, but maybe you could consider the old WRC games and V-Rally 3 aswell 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andykara2003 said:

Thanks so much all for the replies. I’ve bought dirt 2 for the PS3 & I think I’ll give DR2 a go as well - might as well keep up with the most modern sim handling model. On the pure arcade rally side, the Sega rally series seems to be the way to go, although apparently the first game is the best, but is basic career wise, being an actual arcade game...

Once you're done with Dirt 2, go to Dirt 3. it's excellent as well, and the handling is very similar, but it's got a much, much bigger car list for rally with many more historic cars.

also, great menus.